Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By VeeVee
  • 1 Post By spazzyiscute
  • 1 Post By MortgageQueen
  • 4 Post By Sunshyne1

Thread: Dog got sprayed by a skunk AGAIN

Trading Score
    369 (100%)

Poor Marley got sprayed by a skunk this morning for the second time in the last two years. I swear it's close to the exact day that she got sprayed last year. Poor thing...I wish she had learned her lesson the first time cause the smell is AWFUL!!!!! When you drive by somewhere and smell a skunk...let me tell you, that is NOT what a skunk really smells like.....that smells lovely compared to how strong and potent this is. I'm quite thankful I have a bit of a stuffy nose these days and quite a few Glade air freshners from the FPCs a while back - they'll come in handy now!!! Lol!

When it happened last year we tried everything. Tomato juice, skunk-off shampoo, regular dog shampoo, different recipes I found online that I don't even remember...nothing took the smell out completely, she smelled awful for a good couple months.

Has this ever happened to your dog? Anyone know anything that really works? And will she ever learn? Lol! I'd hate for her to go through this every year.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

OH that sucks! Lucklily our lil guy has never been sprayed.
    I wonder if you used apple cider vinegar? I use that for everything...cooking, cleaning, my hair, face haha Its natural and I'm sure safe for your dog.
    Hopefully the smell goes away soon!
    Venuila likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

A friend who grooms animals uses Vagisil feminine wash and it seems to work.
    Venuila likes this.

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Nothing, nothing nothing! works better then "Skunks Etc." I would flippin' buy stock in that company!! All it is is water enzymes and organic stabilizers. It works like a dream!
    The 2 dogs I have now are not prone to "finding" skunks, but my last 3 were "stinkers"! Bwah hahahahaha!
    Venuila likes this.

Trading Score
    369 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by VeeVee View Post
    OH that sucks! Lucklily our lil guy has never been sprayed.
    I wonder if you used apple cider vinegar? I use that for everything...cooking, cleaning, my hair, face haha Its natural and I'm sure safe for your dog.
    Hopefully the smell goes away soon!
    I think one of the things we tried last time had cider vinegar in it. We tried so many different things I can't remember how well it worked. But I know nothing really worked all that well.

Quote Originally Posted by spazzyiscute View Post
    A friend who grooms animals uses Vagisil feminine wash and it seems to work.
    Hrm that's interesting. Maybe worth a try although I don't think DH will pick it up at the store when he goes out, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by MortgageQueen View Post
    Nothing, nothing nothing! works better then "Skunks Etc." I would flippin' buy stock in that company!! All it is is water enzymes and organic stabilizers. It works like a dream!
    The 2 dogs I have now are not prone to "finding" skunks, but my last 3 were "stinkers"! Bwah hahahahaha!
    Where's the best place to find it? Think they would have it at PetValu? Also, do you remember how much it cost?

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Vagisil doesn't come close to this stuff. Been there, done that.

I get it from my vet. Best thing to do is google it with your city name. Company name is Natural Chemistry. Ph. # is 1800-753-1233

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

My dog got sprayed and this recipe below worked miracles!
    was it one of the ones you tried?

Here's How:

1. As soon as you realize your dog has been sprayed by a skunk, don some rubber or latex gloves and old clothes and look her over for bites or scratches. Also check her eyes for redness or discharge. If any injuries are found, you should contact your veterinarian before proceeding.
    2. Time is of the essence here - the longer you wait to begin the process, the harder it will be to remove the stench. Get set up for bathing your dog outdoors or in an easy to clean area of your home (laundry room, bathroom, etc). If indoors, open a window to save your nose!
    3. Apply a small strip of eye lubricant (such as Puralube) or 1-2 drops of mineral oil to your dog's eyes. This will help protect the eyes in case any of the solution splashes or drips in.
    4. In the plastic container, combine 1 quart hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda and 1 to 2 teaspoons of liquid soap. Add lukewarm water if needed (for larger dogs). Mix ingredients well. The solution will fizz, as a chemical reaction is occurring. Use immediately - do not store.
    5. Do not soak your dog with water prior to bathing. Promptly begin cleansing the affected areas thoroughly, massaging the solution deep into your dog's coat. You may wish to use a sponge or washcloth. Avoid getting the solution in the eyes, ears or mouth.
    6. Allow the solution to remain on your dog for at least five minutes (longer if strong odor persists).
    7. Rinse your dog well with lukewarm water. Repeat steps 3-5 as necessary until odor is gone.
    8. Dry your dog well and give her a treat!

I used dish soap, not hand soap. Dish soap has added de-greasers in it that can help with breaking down the skunk oil

Trading Score
    369 (100%)

Thanks for all the suggestions!!! We've been doing the baking soda + peroxide + dish soap mixture. DH looked for Skunks Etc at the local pet store but couldn't find it, and I haven't had a chance to go out so been using the above mixture for now. Seems to be working better this time

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I always laugh when they show people sitting in a tub of tomato juice in the movies or on tv.

We use Skunk Off for the cats , sometimes it takes a few applications but it works and it also works on the bedding.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Ya tomatoe juice doesn't work as it's not acidic as it used to be.

Our old dog Pepper would ALWAYS get skunked at least once a year and god it was a nightmare!

I found this to work on her [she was a huge fluffy white ass dog..almost like an acabash [ya i cant spell it ever.. anyways theya re like 'wolf dogs']]
    Rip open fresh boxes of baking soda and pour them all over the dog and run your fingers thru their fur [I would wear 3 pairs of those cheap yellow dish washing gloves.. hate skunky fingers bleh] and pour bottles of peroxide all over her fur and let her sit for a few minutes... and pray she doesn't shake all over you [lmao..happened to my dad one year XD].

It worked fairly good for her but.. everytime she'd get wet due to snow in the winter or rain in the spring/fall she'd stink a little like skunk until she dried but it couldn't be helped.

We bought many bottles of skunk sprays to remove the smell but it NEVER worked...

Now that Peppers been dead and gone for a couple of years we hadn't had any problems with skunks................. until her daughter [my mutt; pumpkin] got a little older and ran outside 3 1/2 years ago before I could smell first just before bed.. got nailed RIGHT in the FACE omigod.. that was a pain in the ass seriously... It took me a bit to get the smell out.. she got it in the eye as well so it was red and teary.. got the hose turned on and washed out her eyes and face than tried my best to clean off the smell with baking soda and peroxide and dish soap solution since I basically had to straddle her and I was on my own since nobody was willing to help lol.. So I had to spray down too..

And to this day she STILL smells in the eye area of skunk when she's wet.

What can you do.

Trading Score
    104 (100%)

We have to keep our dogs on a lead when they go outside without us in the fall to prevent this... retriever fur + skunk not a nice thing

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

when my dog got sprayed it was the middle of the night, and when we googled it, listerine came up. We gave him a bath and drenched him in listerine, and honestly it worked pretty well.

Trading Score
    369 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Evil.Kitten View Post
    Now that Peppers been dead and gone for a couple of years we hadn't had any problems with skunks................. until her daughter [my mutt; pumpkin] got a little older and ran outside 3 1/2 years ago before I could smell first just before bed.. got nailed RIGHT in the FACE omigod.. that was a pain in the ass seriously... It took me a bit to get the smell out.. she got it in the eye as well so it was red and teary.. got the hose turned on and washed out her eyes and face than tried my best to clean off the smell with baking soda and peroxide and dish soap solution since I basically had to straddle her and I was on my own since nobody was willing to help lol.. So I had to spray down too..

And to this day she STILL smells in the eye area of skunk when she's wet.

What can you do.
    Poor doggies! Marley got it in the face for sure the first time, her eyes were all red and teary too, and she was so sad...poor thing. And yup, you could definately still smell it faintly when she got wet....not bad but you could definately tell what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by maribel View Post
    We have to keep our dogs on a lead when they go outside without us in the fall to prevent this... retriever fur + skunk not a nice thing
    We'll definately be putting her on a leash when she goes out at night from now on....so not worth her getting sprayed by a skunk again.

Quote Originally Posted by barbiexxx View Post
    when my dog got sprayed it was the middle of the night, and when we googled it, listerine came up. We gave him a bath and drenched him in listerine, and honestly it worked pretty well.
    We tried that one last time too. I've been busy with baby but dh has been giving her the same peroxide+baking soda+soap mixture bath every so often and it seems to be working. I'm still convinced that nothing is going to take it away completely though....darn skunks!!

Thread Information