User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Andit View Post
    I still question why people are bothered by it. After all, someone could be taking a picture of a building & catch someone by accident & post it on Facebook. How is that different?

& if the camera caught you doing something you`re embarrassed about, maybe you shouldn`t have been doing that in the first place.

Then again, I live in an area frequented by tourists (with their cameras) & have really nosy neighbours that grill me every time I have anyone over. One time a male friend came over (to fix my computer), I had half a dozen gossips, er, neighbours come knocking on my door, asking to borrow sugar & eggs.
    Personally I'm not worried about it, but I can see the other side of it and potential issues with it.

I think there is a difference between someone potentially taking a photo of something themselves for whatever reason at random and then maybe posting it online in comparison to a company going around and taking images street by street.

I agree people shouldn't be doing certain things anyways if it's going to be embarrassing to them, but accidents, mistakes and other regrettable incidents that you have no control over can happen as well.

I don't generally buy the whole slippery slope argument, but things are heading in the direction of everyone capturing everything, with cell phone cameras, street cameras etc.

It's all with good intentions, but you know what they say about good intentions...

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

I think it is a violation of privacy... if the image of me was a crowd shot I wouldn't have cared.... but it wasn't, it was me alone. I was able to zoom in and be able to tell very readily that it was me, as would anyone else who google-mapped my street in street view.

I wasn't doing anything embarassing or illegal (and no, I was not naked, lol) but that's not the point either.... the point is that I didn't give permission for them to take my picture and post it on the internet. From a legal standpoint I could have argued that it was a picture of me, and I never signed a model release (a consent form that professional photographers use frequently to avoid being sued).

I was very relieved to see them take my concern seriously and remove the image; while I still am not thrilled with the idea that this service exists, at least they took it off quickly upon my request.

Banned
    Trading Score
    93 (100%)

countess, was your face not blurred?

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Not to the point of obscuring my identity, no. You could take one look at it and know it was me, even before zooming in.

Banned
    Trading Score
    93 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thecountess View Post
    Not to the point of obscuring my identity, no. You could take one look at it and know it was me, even before zooming in.
    Aww that sucks. If I were in it I'd be telling everyone to look me up, like I was a celebrity or something, depends on how you look at it I guess (no pun intended).

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Andit View Post
    I still question why people are bothered by it. After all, someone could be taking a picture of a building & catch someone by accident & post it on Facebook. How is that different?

& if the camera caught you doing something you`re embarrassed about, maybe you shouldn`t have been doing that in the first place.

Then again, I live in an area frequented by tourists (with their cameras) & have really nosy neighbours that grill me every time I have anyone over. One time a male friend came over (to fix my computer), I had half a dozen gossips, er, neighbours come knocking on my door, asking to borrow sugar & eggs.
    I'd say it's different because not everyone on the planet has access to my Facebook account, while anyone with a computer can see my home on Google.

It's not that I'm doing anything embarassing that I don't want seen. Compare it to your email, you're not necessarily writing about anything illegal or embarassing, but it's still YOUR stuff right?

I'm not crazy about people knowing where I live - yes, I know that people can see me going into my house, but when anybody can just go online and see it, that troubles me a bit.

Z

Banned
    Trading Score
    93 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    I'd say it's different because not everyone on the planet has access to my Facebook account, while anyone with a computer can see my home on Google.

It's not that I'm doing anything embarassing that I don't want seen. Compare it to your email, you're not necessarily writing about anything illegal or embarassing, but it's still YOUR stuff right?

I'm not crazy about people knowing where I live - yes, I know that people can see me going into my house, but when anybody can just go online and see it, that troubles me a bit.

Z
    Depending on your security settings on facebook, people may be able to look you up and see your pictures, even if they aren't added as a friend.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Z
    Exactly

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Yesterday I google-mapped my address in street view and also looked up and down my street... and lo and behold, I saw myself walking! I was seriously freaked out, I recognized myself right away, and I'm sure anyone else would have also. So I reported the image and asked for it to be removed and this is the email reply I got:

Hello,

Our records show that you recently reported an image within Google Maps Street View.This image has been removed from our service and will disappear within the next 24 hours.
    We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused you and appreciate your patience while we dealt with this.
    If you still see the image after 24 hours, your browser's cache may cause the issue. Please clear your browser's cache and check the image. To clear the cache, please check the link below.

Regards,
    The Google Maps Team

I just checked and sure enough, they took it off!

If you see yourself in any of the pictures (and are upset by it), make sure you report it, you will see "Report a Problem" on the page and the next page you can cite "Privacy Issues" as your reason for asking for it to be removed

Freaky, eh? Great that they responded so quickly. I know through the media, others who have reported are being helped fast, too, so that's good.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    Depending on your security settings on facebook, people may be able to look you up and see your pictures, even if they aren't added as a friend.
    Yep, that's why my security settings are at a higher level on Facebook.

Z

dealseeker/contest addict Deal_Princess's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

So... I used google maps to look at my old house in Mississauga ! was pretty cool as I barely remember it since I moved out when I was 3. Was pretty nostalgic for me and I didn't feel like I was invading anyone's privacy.
    I dont see a difference between google maps and me so happening to be driving on the street. If I know your address then I know where you live I could come knock on your door so google street view isn't sucha big deal.(Though you can zoom in so close to my house you could literally knock on the monitor and I might just answer the door..)

When I go to new places I always google maps it for direction's having a picture of the street view is just added assurance I'll find the place with out driving and missing it.
    We all know that everything being caught by street view is in public and for anyone to see. It just so happens to be 1 frame on the internet. At least it's not a live feed of your street that would be creepy and a stalkers dream ! haha never say never technology keeps getting more and more invasive.

As with facebook things are never private that are posted on the internet even if you have all your settings to private. Just a little thing to think about.I never post anything I wouldn't want someone to see.
    Last edited by Deal_Princess; Thu, Oct 15th, 2009 at 02:50 AM.

Banned
    Trading Score
    93 (100%)

Yep, that's why my security settings are at a higher level on Facebook.

Z
    Mine too, you can't even see my user pic. Just saying though, some people don't know what the public can access on there.

I looked up my home and since it's behind other apartments, you actually can't see it on street view.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Deal_Princess View Post
    At least it's not a live feed of your street that would be creepy and a stalkers dream ! haha never say never technology keeps getting more and more invasive.
    That's exactly my concern... that with the latest technological advances one day it will be live feed

Banned
    Trading Score
    93 (100%)

That's exactly my concern... that with the latest technological advances one day it will be live feed
    Then stalkers and creepers can watch you/your house 24/7!

I think there are surveillance cameras in the UK that run non-stop that you can view online..

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

I think they've started altering some of the images. I looked up my parents' place & the street was empty - no people & not a single car. I've never ever seen that street empty, even during a blizzard when people are asked to stay home. They're on a 6-lane street, half a block from a hospital, 2 blocks from a fire station & about 2 km from a police station.

So, maybe they're trying to protect themselves now & only show the buildings?

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information