User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Cashiers

Banned
    Trading Score
    93 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoddessDigi View Post
    I sort of disagree with this thread..in a way.
    All of my jobs were dealing with customers. I have worked in 3 different fast food places, (Burger King, Chick-Fil-A, and McDonald's), a grocery store, and a retirement home.
    If someone were rude to me, I would never EVER be rude back to them, mainly for these reasons:
    1.) If you're getting a job that leaves you in any way interacting with people, then you should realize that not everyone will always be nice. If you don't get that, then you should never have applied to be in that position.
    2.) I'm getting paid to take that rudeness, or whatever. Whatever I do reflects back on the company that I'm working for, not just myself.

I will smile politely throughout whatever ordeal I'm going through, and yes I may rant later, but I knew what I was getting into when I applied for my job. And not all customers are horrible, and I've made friendships with my regulars plenty of times.
    ^ yes you sign up for whatever the job requires, and you realize that you may get crabby customers and it will(may) get to you, you take it as it comes and deal with it accordingly. BUT, when everyone gets along it's just a much nicer time, why be rude to a cashier? if she is being nice and co-operative to you, you should be the same back.

What this thread is saying is, don't get upset at cashiers, when the customers is half of the problem in a lot of cases. Cashiers put up with a lot of ridiculous stuff. And how calling cashiers "stupid" in a lot of threads here is not necessary because much of the time it's not true.
    Last edited by Justine; Sun, Dec 20th, 2009 at 01:18 PM. Reason: added quote

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

But what I'm saying is that, sometimes cashiers are at fault, but not stupid (that's the part I was disagreeing on). As I said, I knew what I was signing up for. I may get the rudest customers ever, but I never react in the same way. I'll rant about them later, yes, but won't stoop to their level. Even if the cashier is having a bad day, it doesn't excuse them acting the way they do sometimes. Like yelling at a customer, or saying they're stealing by using coupons, or all the other 'horror' stories I've read on here.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

it's hit and miss really - I had a great walart cashier today - she was lovely and funny and spoke with DS a lot- she also did up the save/ca coupons for free glade stuff with no issues at all

Then DD got a cashier that was slow - did not talk with her - and gave her a lot of trouble over buying candyland with the 10$ coupon - DH tried to help but they ended up having to call over the manager who fixed everything for us

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I'm only human, and if someone yells at me for stupid things, or expect me to make a pig fly, yes I will cry. $*%# you for thinking I won't.

$10 an hour? I don't get paid to listen to grown adults throw a tantrum, if a preschoo teacher get's paid twice that to deal with snotty toddlers throwing tantrums every day, I should get twice that. I'll tell people to shut up and call a manager all I want. I've seen enough 15 yr old girs cry (myself included) because of some insensitive prick.

*** no matter what you think or say, just remember MOST of your cashiers will care less, so don't bother pissing on them.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lekate View Post
    I'm only human, and if someone yells at me for stupid things, or expect me to make a pig fly, yes I will cry. $*%# you for thinking I won't.

$10 an hour? I don't get paid to listen to grown adults throw a tantrum, if a preschoo teacher get's paid twice that to deal with snotty toddlers throwing tantrums every day, I should get twice that. I'll tell people to shut up and call a manager all I want. I've seen enough 15 yr old girs cry (myself included) because of some insensitive prick.

*** no matter what you think or say, just remember MOST of your cashiers will care less, so don't bother pissing on them.
    And you're the reason there are horror stories..
    If you don't think you get paid enough, then you change your job.
    I'm not saying you bow down to every customer, you do have to respect yourself, and any supervisor would agree, but you do it in the RIGHT WAY. As in, be polite. You never EVER tell a customer to shut up or that you don't care. If I were your supervisor, you'd be fired in an instant.
    (And yes, I have been in both spots. Lowly cashier on the bottom of the totem pole, and a manger.)

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

And you're the reason there are horror stories..
    If you don't think you get paid enough, then you change your job.
    I'm not saying you bow down to every customer, you do have to respect yourself, and any supervisor would agree, but you do it in the RIGHT WAY. As in, be polite. You never EVER tell a customer to shut up or that you don't care. If I were your supervisor, you'd be fired in an instant.
    (And yes, I have been in both spots. Lowly cashier on the bottom of the totem pole, and a manger.)
    You've obviously never been yelled at over a 20 cent price different, you've never been yelled at for not *knowing* the price of every product in your store. I've never told a customer to shut up, but I have told them to take their "tantrum" outside, and yes I've seen 40 yr old men show me how worse they can be than a 3 yr old. I do NOT deserve to be yelled at, under NO circumstances, maybe I'm just YOUNGER than you, and DEMAND more respect. But it's WHAT I deserve and don't YOU ever say that I don't, or that any OTHER cashier doesn't.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

I've been yelled at for the most idiotic things.
    Like when I worked at CFA, a woman came through and got the wrong order given to her (was supposed to be no pickles). She handed it back, and saw me throw it away. She started yelling that I was wasting food, and I explained that we have to do it that way to count our waste. She kept yelling and yelling until I told her to wait a moment, I'd get a manager (this was before my promotion). Manager told her the same thing, she got cussed out, and then drove off. But never were we rude to her.
    I am also only 19, so I doubt you're older than me. But I've been working since 15 (first job was as a cashier at a grocery store). This is not about demanding your respect. As I said, you have to respect yourself. But you DO NOT go about it in a rude way. There are so many polite ways to handle any situation. Also, it's about common sense. If you want to be fired, you can react any you you please.

Also, here's a good example of someone knowing their limitations:
    My husband is very very shy, and has a short temper at times, he knows he can't handle interacting with people. He works at McDonald's, but made it very clear to them at the start how he was, and that he would be good for working in the back only. They agreed, and no problems.
    I'm sorry, this may sound rude, but I don't think a job as a cashier is for you. You need to be polite, no matter what.. Not even just because fo your job. Everyone should be polite at all times, but sadly, the world we live in isn't so kind.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I've been yelled at for the most idiotic things.
    Like when I worked at CFA, a woman came through and got the wrong order given to her (was supposed to be no pickles). She handed it back, and saw me throw it away. She started yelling that I was wasting food, and I explained that we have to do it that way to count our waste. She kept yelling and yelling until I told her to wait a moment, I'd get a manager (this was before my promotion). Manager told her the same thing, she got cussed out, and then drove off. But never were we rude to her.
    I am also only 19, so I doubt you're older than me. But I've been working since 15 (first job was as a cashier at a grocery store). This is not about demanding your respect. As I said, you have to respect yourself. But you DO NOT go about it in a rude way. There are so many polite ways to handle any situation. Also, it's about common sense. If you want to be fired, you can react any you you please.

Also, here's a good example of someone knowing their limitations:
    My husband is very very shy, and has a short temper at times, he knows he can't handle interacting with people. He works at McDonald's, but made it very clear to them at the start how he was, and that he would be good for working in the back only. They agreed, and no problems.
    I'm sorry, this may sound rude, but I don't think a job as a cashier is for you. You need to be polite, no matter what.. Not even just because fo your job. Everyone should be polite at all times, but sadly, the world we live in isn't so kind.

Maybe I was just taught to have higher expectations of how others should treat me. I know I shouldn't be a cashier, but I still don't think anyone should treat a cashier like that. People should learn manners and patience and if they're pissed off to walk away and cool down for a few minutes.

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I believe in giving the same amount of respect I am receiving...I will try to be polite if you arent but dont push your luck...I have zero tolerance for stupid...I love my job now but when I was doing the cashier thing I got a lot of crap from people that just made me hate the job

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Couponing Princess!
    Trading Score
    284 (100%)

Went to WM a few days back with my $5 Saputo coupons. I needed cheese for holiday baking and decided to use them at WM as they had the Saputo cheese on sale for $4.44

I hand the cashier my other purchases and the two blocks of cheese and 2X$5 Saputo coupons to go along with them.

Cashier: Oh, I have to ask the manager about this.
    Me: Okay, sure.
    She doesn't tell me what she's concerned about but whatever, that's fine. She then goes about two tills over and whispers with the manager and they both walk over to me.

Manager announces loudly so that everyone in line can hear her: We can't give you money back for this!
    Me: What? Whoa! I never asked for money back, what are you talking about? The value of the coupon is UP TO $5.
    Manager: *stares at me*
    Me: Looking incredulously at the cashier wondering what the heck she told the manager, but no one is answering me.
    Cashier: We're not stupid.
    Me: Excuse me? Who said you're stupid?? I glance over at my hubby with this bewildered look on my face and he's trying not to laugh at my expression.

Cashier proceeds to ring through the cheese at $4.44 each and then the two coupons at $5 each... effectively giving me a $0.56 credit towards my other purchases.
    Add me on twitter and I'll add you back! Just mention you are from SC!

@hoppmichelle

Banned
    Trading Score
    93 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lekate View Post
    Maybe I was just taught to have higher expectations of how others should treat me. I know I shouldn't be a cashier, but I still don't think anyone should treat a cashier like that. People should learn manners and patience and if they're pissed off to walk away and cool down for a few minutes.
    Definitely, if you nice to them they will be nice back, and vice versa. I love getting good service, and appreciate it very much. Cashiers are at the bottom of the totem pole and they don't know the answers to everything or policies or shipments etc, they also don't represent the store, they try and do the best job they can. I agree that in every profession, people should be treated with respect, there is no reason to be rude to anyone. What are we arguing about anyway? groceries c'mon.
    Last edited by Justine; Sun, Dec 27th, 2009 at 01:47 AM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

all cashiers are stupid and lazy, useless peons. replace them all with automatic self serve machines

Banned
    Trading Score
    93 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Nagib View Post
    all cashiers are stupid and lazy, useless peons. replace them all with automatic self serve machines
    wow let's not call people names, did you see the original point of this thread?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    wow let's not call people names, did you see the original point of this thread?
    no and wont

Trading Score
    68 (97%)

Quote Originally Posted by Nagib View Post
    And what if that machine breaks down?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information