User Tag List

Page 2 of 194 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I love both the summer and winter Olympics. My favorite is the figure skating. The judging better be fair this year. Go Patrick Chan. I hope he can do it. I wanted to go and watch in person. I figured it would cost a fortune to go to BC, so I'll be watching from home. I got to visit Vancouver last summer.

Hmmmmm
    Trading Score
    63 (100%)

I've never been, but I do watch the opening ceremonies and the hockey.

My father-in-law is hopping on a plane to head out there tomorrow. Happened quickly, he just got the call that they officially hired him. He's going out to drive the bus, they hired around 300 bus drivers across the country and it's quite the cushy job with everything paid for.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Wow, that's great for your dad, AmberLab!

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post

You've shattered my...my...remembering of that!
    Please say it isn't so!!
    It was all explained in ceremonies producer Ric Birch's book 'Master of the Ceremonies - An Eventful Life'.
    FREE PayPal $$ and Amazon Gift Cards!
    https://www.swagbucks.com/profile/tommygunn

Easy way to get Amazon Gift Cards, PayPal $$, and much more! Join MyPoints!
    https://www.mypoints.com?rb=31269562

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    I'm most curious as to who will be doing the final leg with the torch, and light the stadium flame.
    Who would you like to see as the final torchbearer? My first choice would be Wayne Gretzky.
    Gretzky seems to be a name that's been bandied about often.. same with Bobby Orr.

I'd personally like to see Terry Fox's mother, Betty, light the cauldron!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tommygunn View Post
    Gretzky seems to be a name that's been bandied about often.. same with Bobby Orr.

I'd personally like to see Terry Fox's mother, Betty, light the cauldron!

It better not be a politician.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    It better not be a politician.
    Yeah...only in Canada!!!

But what I don't understand, is why a professional hockey player? Isn't this a game for amateurs? Surely there's someone else who is deserving? Who might also LIVE in Canada??

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    But what I don't understand, is why a professional hockey player? Isn't this a game for amateurs?
    Tell that to all the NHL'ers who'll be competing in the Olympics!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

At least the playing field is level now. Remember when all the east block countries were paying their hockey players and we had to send amateurs?

I think it should be a great Olympian but since Clara Hughes is already carrying the who is another really great Olympian? I mean she is right up there and I really think she is under appreciated because she is a woman. If it were a man who won medals in both Olympics they would be on top of the world.

Trading Score
    3 (80%)

well after most citizens after they found that their tax money was or has gone to paying for their local councils to go to the games. Prime tickets to events costly like thousands and thousands of dollars some of the council member have rejected the tickets were some have accepted them. Did you see the map on how they are going to run through BC looks funny...

http://www.vancouver2010.com/dl/00/1...nal_14d-Lh.pdf

They call it the Whistler Olympics but most of the venues are in other areas like Vancouver, Richmond, and Cypress Mountain.

Canada Hockey Place is were the first game for the Women Can vs SVK play Feb 13 and the men don't play till Feb 16th. Formally known as GM Place where the Canucks normally play.
    Opening and closing ceremonies are in BC Place Stadium where the BC Lions would play during the Spring/Summer. This stadium is having major leaks so if i was going bring a poncho since umbrella's aren't allowed.
    Pacific Colosseum is where Figure Skating and Speed Short Track Skating be taking place normally is home to Vancouver Giants the AHL Team.
    Cypress Mountain is having anything Snowboarding and Freestyle Skiing.
    Curling is happening in a new site across the Street from Queens Park.
    Speed Skating is taking place at the Richmond Olympic Oval just built yet they are already having problems with regulating temperatures.
    Most of Womans Hockey will be taking place on UBC Campus in their new UBC Thunderbird Arena.
    The rest of the events take place in Whistler.

Several Athletes have moved out of the Athletes Village citing its too noisy and way too far away from their events. Some how no one is concerned about this since its a couple million dollar new structure they built just for the athletes.
    Last edited by greentires4me; Sun, Jan 31st, 2010 at 02:22 PM.
    Live, Love, Laugh

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by greentires4me View Post
    They call it the Whistler Olympics but most of the venues are in other areas like Vancouver...

Who calls it the Whistler Olympics?

Maybe people in Whistler .. but, the rest of the world calls it the Vancouver Olympics!

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Yay Vancouver!
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Of course, I love the legacy of Terry Fox, but him/his mom have nothing to do with sport.
    Final torchbearers for 1988 Calgary Olympics were Cathy Priestner and Ken Read - who then gave it to 12 year old Robyn Perry (now Ainsworth) who lit the cauldron. She was a figure skater, chosen to represent the youth.

Other choices - Catriona Le May Doan, Hayley Wickenheiser, Nancy Green would be cool - there are LOTS of past medalists... Elvis Stojko. Cindy Klassen, Gaetan Boucher, Sale and Pelletier, Marc Gagnon, Beckie Scott...
    Barbara Ann Scott would be MOST awesome - she's over 80, and carried the torch into Parliament last year... That's sentimental for me, she was one of my mom's favourites, and she had a doll of her when she was little.
    Last edited by Natalka; Mon, Feb 1st, 2010 at 09:43 AM.

Trading Score
    3 (80%)

Because Whistler was the one who put in the bid...and they are using Whistler and Cypress instead of other mountains like Grouse or Seymour...maybe instead we should call it the Gordon Cambell Olympics...funny I watched the torch party in toronto and they called it the best thing that ever happened in toronto...
    Live, Love, Laugh

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Of course, I love the legacy of Terry Fox, but him/his mom have nothing to do with sport.
    Really?

Besides being an incredible humanitarian and activist, he's also considered a great athlete.

Running the equivalent of a marathon a day for 143 days, his 'Marathon of Hope' is quite the achievement for any athlete.. let alone one with a handicap.

December 1980 - Terry Fox awarded the Lou Marsh Trophy as Canada's top athlete of 1980.

August 29, 1981 - Terry Fox is posthumously inducted into the Canadian Sports Hall of Fame

December 1990 - The Sports Network (TSN) names Terry Fox Athlete of the Decade; the field included Wayne Gretzky and Michael Jordan.

At this year's Olympics, the Terry Fox Award "will be awarded to an Olympic athlete who embodies Fox's characteristics of determination and humility in the face of adversity".

Betty Fox would be a much better choice than individuals nobody has ever heard of.. (see Calgary and Montreal)
    Last edited by tommygunn; Mon, Feb 1st, 2010 at 11:23 AM.

Page 2 of 194 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread Information