109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Me or a family member

86 78.90%
  • I hire an accountant

23 21.10%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Trading Score
    32 (100%)

I dropped ours off at the accountants yesterday. She said it might be a week before they start to work on it. I hope to get a refund. Last year I got 325 and my husband got 32 (which is good, hes had to pay in before)

My parents got 800 and 900. Lucky ducks

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

i'm gonna do my own this year. My hubby is a US citizen and so we've been trying to file him as married. We tried to hire an accountant in canada and even in US to do our taxes but that didn't work out. He had to file as single. So if anyone has experience in US/Canada tax please help me out

Trading Score
    32 (100%)

I have a question
    My husband pays for our blue cross. It was never claimed in 2008.
    So this year could 2008+2009 be used? Maybe it cant be claimed? I took it to our accountant, but when I look at the papers I dont see where it was used(2008 tax return)

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Hm, anyone done theirs yet? I thought for sure I would do it on the weekend, but just am procrastinating!
    i`m done...yesterday and DH is too we use the old good pencil and calculator ...and for the GC, i have used Impotel since they have it and received my refund 2 weeks later we (Dh and i) do each one ours and i do Mom and Dad and use Impotel for them too i know it`s different in each province , here in QC we have to do one for QC and one for Ca....how about you guys ?
    Thank's to DH who told me the grumpy Garfield was not at all representative of who i am

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Meg1112 View Post
    I have a question
    My husband pays for our blue cross. It was never claimed in 2008.
    So this year could 2008+2009 be used? Maybe it cant be claimed? I took it to our accountant, but when I look at the papers I dont see where it was used(2008 tax return)
    You can claim in a 12 month period - and it doesn't have to be the calendar year, as long as it ends in the current tax year and hasn't been claimed before.
    And I believe (I'm not an accountant, I just play one on tv) that if you want to make amendments to previous years, you can just do so. Give the toll-free number a call and ask!
    I know with us it's always crappy that we can't claim Blue Cross because our medical expenses never get to the level or % the tax man dictates. So maybe that's why yours wasn't used the last tax year.

Trading Score
    32 (100%)

I am not talking about the copay I pay for rx's, just what my husband pays to have a drug plan.

Maybe its not enough $ to claim. I left a note with our stuff for the accountant to link into it.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

my dh does ours we've gotten it done through an accountant before well a few times and they screw it up lol

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Meg1112 View Post
    I am not talking about the copay I pay for rx's, just what my husband pays to have a drug plan.

Maybe its not enough $ to claim. I left a note with our stuff for the accountant to link into it.
    yes, you can add it with your copay
    Thank's to DH who told me the grumpy Garfield was not at all representative of who i am

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

I think that I may have posted this elsewhere, but this might be of interest to readers of this thread. If you are unable to complete your return yourself or can't afford to use a fee based service, the CRA (a.k.a. Revenue Canada) offers free tax preparation services. Full details can be found at:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/volunteer/

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I do my own taxes online, its pretty straight forward.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

I do my own taxes, paper form. It's free to do it on my own and it really isn't that difficult after you've done it a few times.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by divaonadime View Post
    I think that I may have posted this elsewhere, but this might be of interest to readers of this thread. If you are unable to complete your return yourself or can't afford to use a fee based service, the CRA (a.k.a. Revenue Canada) offers free tax preparation services. Full details can be found at:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/volunteer/

It's good that you posted this - it's income-threshold based. In previous years in our city, they set up times at the downtown public library, and at the food bank's learning centre.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I do my own, but then I use the taxsoftware to do it. There was one that was free on the freebie thread, I found it hard to understand. I use Ufile and haven't had a problem yet and I found it easy to use.

you can join this forum by clicking on my link below.
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/index.php?referrerid=18227

Trading Score
    60 (100%)

I do all the tax returns for myself, my hubby, our little corporation, and my in-law's ones too. I always use Quicktax.

There are years when I was asked to doublecheck the tax returns of my hubby's relatives, but I've pushed back. Too much work for very little appreciation.

Taxes are one of the biggest expense in our lives, and I believe in reading up as much as I can about it, and minimizing it.
    At the right time, a kind word from a stranger, or encouragement from a friend, can make all the difference in the world. Kindness is free, but it's priceless. ~ Doe Zantamata

"And it's always the right time!" ~ Woofy

Couponing Princess!
    Trading Score
    284 (100%)

Meg, in order to claim medical expenses, the total expenses claimed need to exceed 3% of net income.

You can add the premiums paid to the insurance company (Blue Cross)for the drug plan to what you paid out of pocket for your medication to get the total.

So if you were eligible to claim medical expenses on your 2008 return (i.e. you and your husband together had expenses in excess of $1,962 or 3% of your net income, whichever is less), they should have included the premiums paid to the company as well.

You can mention it to your accountant and see if it's worth it to do a T1 Adjustment.
    Add me on twitter and I'll add you back! Just mention you are from SC!

@hoppmichelle

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information