User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    162 (100%)

Oh, Im glad you are okay!
    Search with SWAGBUCKS! Earn GIFTCARDS and PRIZES! www.swagbucks.com/refer/Marinela01
    Earn Amazon.com GCs with IRAZOO!http://www.irazoo.com/ReferedNewUser.aspx?RefBy=sharpie

Just Jez
    Trading Score
    586 (100%)

Thank you to all who posted.....I am staying at the Radisson as insurance is covering the bill...Thank God at $200 a night I certainly couldn't afford to stay here !!

I have no idea how long before anyone is allowed back into the bldg ??

Someone else who is staying here is going over to try to get his cats out and see if they have any ideas when we can get back in....I was shocked he left his cats !!! to me that is like leaving my kids behind !!

The first thing I did was look for my furr babies thankfully they were all in their beds !! (my bed LOL)....like I said grabbed them ,my meds ,laptop ,cell and was out the door...in such a rush I was trying to figure out what to grab to take with me...

went out today to get a litter box and some neccesities as we literally have the clothes we had on....

apparently I just heard they still have some hot spots burning in the bldg and still no hydro I did grab my coupie book with my fpc's thinking I may need some of them I do hope the store that was in the block isn't too badly damaged as that is where the parcels go and I am on a wish pkge train......

I will post again when I know more thanks again for all your well wishes Krystey

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Oh, my goodness, Jezz!!! Thank God you and your fur-kids are safe! Do you know if your apartment was damaged in anyway? Fire? Water? Smoke?
    I hope you've found somewhere safe to stay and that you can get back home soon!!

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Wow, thats crazy! Glad to hear you are okay!

Trading Score
    21 (100%)

How awful! Glad to hear you and your fur babies are okay though Take care

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Most important, you and the furrballs got out. Glad your ok. Happy to hear you got the next important stuff out too...laptop, and coupies. LOL Hope you can get back home soon.!

Just Jez
    Trading Score
    586 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by miztia View Post
    Most important, you and the furrballs got out. Glad your ok. Happy to hear you got the next important stuff out too...laptop, and coupies. LOL Hope you can get back home soon.!
    I know after each was in their kennel and I grabbed a pail of litter and some cans of food the fire/police hadn't made it to our floor yet(they had to climb 21 floors !!evacuating from the top down ..I was thinking what else to take...instead of clothes or personal items I grabbed my laptop /cell and charger /camera and my coupies LOL when I think back I would prob still grab the same items will update later...

Just Jez
    Trading Score
    586 (100%)

Smoke from the fire on Webb Place could be seen throughout the downtown. (photo courtesy Jolene Fiarchuk)
    Updated: Wed Aug. 25 2010 13:13:55

<SCRIPT language=javascript type=text/javascript> var byString = ""; var sourceString = "ctvwinnipeg.ca"; if ((sourceString != "") && (byString != "")) { document.write(byString + ", "); } else { document.write(byString); }</SCRIPT>ctvwinnipeg.ca
    Firefighters were on scene in downtown Winnipeg Tuesday afternoon battling a blaze at an apartment building.
    Crews were called Tuesday to the 400 block of Webb Place around 5 p.m., just north of Portage Place Shopping Centre.
    Damage is estimated at between $5 million and $8 million. Two firefighters sustained minor injuries and are expected to be okay. Hundreds of tenants were forced from their homes.
    Three people were treated in hospital for smoke inhalation, said police.

Smoke from the fire billowed through downtown for part of Tuesday afternoon.
    Streets in the area were also shut down while firefighters responded.
    Fire officials said it appears the fire started on a roof area and spread into suites.
    The cause of the blaze is believed to be careless disposal of smoking material, said police.
    Officials said crews are working hard to get the building back up to code, but residents may have to spend another night staying elsewhere.

Last edited by Jezebel; Wed, Aug 25th, 2010 at 06:08 PM. Reason: update

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    92 (100%)

Is there anything I can do or bring you?
    I am glad you and the kitties are okay.
    Breyden's, Lizzie's, Alexa's & Danica's Grama
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/[email protected]

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

oh wow scary!!! I don't even know how you could sleep with that going on sooo close I would be too freaked out to sleep!

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

SO glad to hear that you and your furbabies are OK, and that YOU HAVE INSURANCE!

Yay! Apartment insurance really doesn't cost that much, and is just SO invaluable at a time like this. I went years without it before I had a house and was just lucky. You read about people all the time who lose everything and have no insurance to help them out.

We just don't realize how expensive it would be to replace everything in our home, no matter how inexpensively we purchased it!

Again, glad that you and yours are all right!

Z
    Last edited by Zonny; Wed, Aug 25th, 2010 at 08:06 PM.

Trading Score
    201 (100%)

OMG! how scary!!!! so glad you and your fur babies got out okay!!!! thank goodness you have apartment insurance!!!
    Get paid for your opinion! http://legerweb.com/J4Z12
    Join Swagbucks and earn free money and giftcards!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/melissabrien

Trading Score
    442 (100%)

OMG!!!! I cant beleive this is happening to you again! i could imagine! I really hope all is ok

Just Jez
    Trading Score
    586 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Oh, gosh, glad you are all safe!

Winnipeg Free Press
    By: Matt Preprost
    Posted: 25/08/2010

Scary moments in downtown blaze

Roof fire hits Portage Place annex building

Thick clouds of smoke cause traffic grief Tuesday during rush hour.
    Firefighters raced Tuesday to put out a fire that was burning only steps away from the Portage Place mall and two apartment buildings in downtown Winnipeg.
    The fire broke out around 5 p.m. in an annex building sandwiched between two apartment buildings on The Promenade, the tiny cobblestone street immediately outside the north exit of the mall.

The fire ignited on the building's roof and quickly spread to lower floors of the two-storey building, Winnipeg fire department platoon chief Ralph Ens said.
    "The heat broke out the windows and the fire got inside," he told the Free Press.
    The blaze drew a crowd of about 100 people who saw dozens of firefighters work to extinguish the blaze. Some watched from their apartment balconies and even the roof of Portage Place.
    Thick, dirty smoke the colour of tar quickly masked the downtown skyline.
    "There was big, black billowing smoke blowing everywhere with fire coming out the bottom," said Barb Doran, who spotted the fire while walking home from her job at the University of Winnipeg. "It was just incredible."
    Doran called her daughter-in-law, Donna Mathieson, who lives on the eighth floor of one of the apartment buildings.
    "(She) said, 'Your building is on fire!'" said Mathieson, who was shopping in Portage Place at the time.
    The mall was not evacuated, although shoppers were not allowed to leave through the back exit facing the fire.
    Most residents, like Mathieson, weren't allowed into their apartment buildings. Most headed to the YMCA on Vaughan Street to wait.
    Two hours later, thin tendrils of white smoke still drifted from broken windows.
    The building housed several businesses on the main floor, including the University of Manitoba's Downtown Aboriginal Education Centre, a grocery store and a fashion store. The top floor contained several residential suites, residents said.
    A University of Manitoba spokesman couldn't immediately comment on the fire.
    Ens pegged an early estimate of damage to the badly charred building and its contents at $1 million. The cause is still under investigation, although Ens doubted arson was involved.
    One firefighter was injured and at least one resident suffered smoke inhalation. The firefighter's injuries are unknown.
    Rush-hour traffic on Portage Avenue was disrupted as the thick smoke blew across the intersections of Portage Avenue and Vaughan and Carlton streets. Traffic was also tied up at Ellice Avenue and Colony Street.
    Thank you for posting for me I couldn't figure out copy/paste without my mouse

Just Jez
    Trading Score
    586 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by scbpooh View Post
    OMG!!!! I cant beleive this is happening to you again! i could imagine! I really hope all is ok
    one furr baby went to the vets for smoke inhalation but is ok and a neighbors cat also....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information