User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you let your kids have a drink with their meals?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes of course

49 92.45%
  • no choke it down

4 7.55%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mle
    Female
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I don't believe in that, I think it's only right to give children a drink at a meal.
    Last edited by mle; Sat, Oct 23rd, 2010 at 03:19 PM.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

sorry but i can't beleive what i read.....isn't it torture, not giving drink to a kid.....doen't your dog have a bowl of water beside his meal bowl..???????? sorry ,if i may sound a little rude but, Oh Boy, why a child should be deprived of drink??? some people have more consideration for their pets than some for their kids....

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    60 (100%)

Eek - I can't imagine not having a drink with my meal! On the other hand, my DH can eat a full meal and not have a drop to drink - and I always tease him about that!! LOL I would think that unless you're having a major problem getting the child to eat, drinking milk and/or water is definitely not going to hurt them!

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Mine always have...mostly because I never really considered anything else. If they fill up on liquids and can't finish their dinner, they'll be hungry in short order anyways. Our policy is if you can't finish your dinner it stays on the table for later in case you are hungry later. I remember my friend growing up having a 1 drink with meal policy. You had to finish your dinner before you could have a 2nd glass.

Honestly though, I tend to believe in the whole trust your child when it comes to food. If they say they are full, then they are...if they say they are thirsty then they are. I think as we get older when tend to ignore the signals our body sends, kids don't.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

My DS is just like me, loves his beverages, and I'd certainly never prevent him from having a drink with his meal. But for us, mealtime is rarely a problem. My DS is four years old, 60 pounds and four feet tall. I shudder to think what we'll be buying in ten years! Sometimes we have to talk him into eating because he's distracted, but I never thought that it was because of what he was drinking.

Even at bedtime, he needs a cup of water at night just like I do. I never considered not offering it. I think he knows what he needs, and I give it.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My husband says he wouldn't let his kids drink anything until they are at least 19...

Maybe they are worried about kids getting full from drinks and not having room for food? Or sometimes kids eat some food and then take too big of a drink and end up nearly choking/vomitting... I can see where there may be some concern. There are few meals that I don't have a drink with - I allow ds to have a drink during his meals.
    Quite often in some Eastern European countries, people do not have drinks with meals - this seemed unheard of to us when we visited family when I was younger. We found it hard to try and choke some drier food down! I suppose it's all what you are used to!

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by veggiegirl View Post
    My husband says he wouldn't let his kids drink anything until they are at least 19...

Trading Score
    56 (100%)

I do allow them to have a drink with their meal, yes. Although my oldest son went through a period of time where we had to really limit how much liquid he had because he would just drink and drink and then not eat his meal.

Trading Score
    153 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Mia001 View Post
    sorry but i can't beleive what i read.....isn't it torture, not giving drink to a kid.....doen't your dog have a bowl of water beside his meal bowl..???????? sorry ,if i may sound a little rude but, Oh Boy, why a child should be deprived of drink??? some people have more consideration for their pets than some for their kids....
    I'm sorry but this does not sit well with me. In my case, I have 3 dogs and 2 cats, yes they always have fresh water available. But, the spca wont be coming for me if they don't gain weight. DD is 20 months and is followed by a nutritionnist since she is not eating enough. The dpj (QC's child welfare)will be coming for me if she does not start gaining weight. Dd does not ask for anything to drink during her meals either.

Depriving her of food, call that torture.

I feel its not fair to compare the pets to a child.
    My Queen passed out from pure bliss thanks to her secret Santa. Bless you kind angel

Trading Score
    239 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by blackpup View Post
    I'm sorry but this does not sit well with me. In my case, I have 3 dogs and 2 cats, yes they always have fresh water available. But, the spca wont be coming for me if they don't gain weight. DD is 20 months and is followed by a nutritionnist since she is not eating enough. The dpj (QC's child welfare)will be coming for me if she does not start gaining weight. Dd does not ask for anything to drink during her meals either.

And again, this comes down to whether your child knows whether or not they are thirsty, and if the parents know whether or not the child fills up on liquids given to them.

Skankarina on the prowl MercyEhm's Avatar
    Trading Score
    86 (100%)

I was raised with the no drink policy and still don't mix the two. Dd's dad was raised differently, this issue was bone that was picked a few times. He thought I was mean for not offering dd water with her meal. I felt that she would fill up on the water and not touch her meal, the same position my mom had with me. I was finally vindicated when I received the same advice from dd's nutritionist.

I would definetly offer her something if she seemed to be having a hard time, I would not let her choke it down.
    Same here and technically it's not healthy for adults to drink while they eat. That being said.. babies have a completely different digestive tract and whoever that girl is she's just being a cruel ignorant biatch to her child. Babies are born on liquid diets and as they start taking in solids they NEED that liquid in order to digest and process the solids. Most solids are composed of double bonded carbon molecules which need the extra hydrogen and oxygen liquids have in order to be broken down.

I feel for that child because pooping must be difficult and I can ONLY imagine the problems he/she will have as a toddler. The medical issues alone surrounding this make me ill. If her doctor knew this she should either biatchslap some sense into her OR report her to child services. That's how cruel it is. DO the research

TM2C
    Last edited by MercyEhm; Thu, Oct 28th, 2010 at 09:57 AM.
    Instant Human Just Add COFFEE!

Trading Score
    153 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MercyEhm View Post
    ...and whoever that girl is she's just being a cruel ignorant biatch to her child.
    TM2C
    I'm sorry, but who is this ignorant biatch you are referring to?
    My Queen passed out from pure bliss thanks to her secret Santa. Bless you kind angel

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Insane View Post

Honestly though, I tend to believe in the whole trust your child when it comes to food. If they say they are full, then they are...if they say they are thirsty then they are. I think as we get older when tend to ignore the signals our body sends, kids don't.
    It's true. There were studies done to prove this. And they lose those signals in their late toddler years because of parents always telling their child to finish their meal.

In terms of the drink thing, I don't have kids but I couldn't imagine not letting my child have a drink with their meal.
    "Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than You." - Dr. Seuss

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

I'm sorry, but who is this ignorant biatch you are referring to?
    The Facebook girl

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

The DPJ won't come for your kids. You have any idea how hard it is for us to get them to even visit a child with bruises???

The only way they'd even have a right to look at you in terms of deprivation/starvation is if a pediatrician could prove malnutrition through bloodwork.

Nutritionists are just that... nutritionists, not doctors. I studied nutrition for 4 years and I learned more in my 2 yrs pre-med than I did with a Nutrition degree. I don't trust a nutritionist with my child's welfare. That might just be me but I've seen both sides of that medal.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information