User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you let your kids have a drink with their meals?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes of course

49 92.45%
  • no choke it down

4 7.55%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    KK7
    Female
    Trading Score
    618 (100%)

On a workig level in the Daycare I work at the kids are not allowed to have a drink until there done there meal part for they focus too much on the drink. They get it after an effort to eat or done eating with there fruit afterwards.
    Last edited by KK7; Thu, Oct 28th, 2010 at 10:52 AM.

KK7
    Female
    Trading Score
    618 (100%)

Now on a personal level my daughter half the time won't eat in the morning and drinks sometimes are the only thing I can beg her with been like since she was small. My kids always have had a drink with there meals. I am happy they do for that seems like sometimes the ONLY time my daughter drinks. I guess with one too many IV hook ups when she gets sick that is my practice!

Skankarina on the prowl MercyEhm's Avatar
    Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by KK7 View Post
    On a workig level in the Daycare I work at the kids are not allowed to have a drink until there done there meal part for they focus too much on the drink. They get it after an effort to eat or done eating with there fruit afterwards.
    Right but those are toddlers. Toddlers don't need the liquid intake babies do until they're roughly about 2
    Instant Human Just Add COFFEE!

KK7
    Female
    Trading Score
    618 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MercyEhm View Post
    Right but those are toddlers. Toddlers don't need the liquid intake babies do until they're roughly about 2

yes I was talking about toddlers The main issue though is "kids"

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Now on a personal level my daughter half the time won't eat in the morning and drinks sometimes are the only thing I can beg her with been like since she was small. My kids always have had a drink with there meals. I am happy they do for that seems like sometimes the ONLY time my daughter drinks. I guess with one too many IV hook ups when she gets sick that is my practice!
    Kids know what they need. A child will not starve herself nor allow herself to dehydrate IF a parent pays attention to the cues. Too parents insist on being "The Big Bad Boss" and not enough parents actually tend to the needs of the child. A lot of them seem to forget rules are different for the lil ones.

All I can say is I treat my baby with respect and listen to his cues for hunger/boredom/fatigue and I've never had any problems. He eats like a champ, plays well with others and goes to bed easily. The child never cries for no reason, not even when he's tired and he's an extremely happy baby hitting his milestones way before the average.

A baby that can trust his mom is a baby who learns quickly and is healthy.

Once you've broken that trust you start running into problems. Instead of blaming the child for not doing such and such, try looking at your own behavior and look and see where you may have lost your child's trust. Did you let him cry too long without responding? Deny food/snack? Put to bed too early just because YOU needed a break? It's little things but they turn into major issues down the road...

A little self-reflection never hurts.

Don't forget.. the only thing a child CAN control is food. It's why all toddlers eventually go on a hunger strike at some point, which is normal. They test limits and boundaries. Children learn early on they control their food intake.

Trading Score
    153 (100%)

The Facebook girl
    Thanks for clearing this up, with my quote in your reply, I was thinking I was being called a biatch...I still am I guess if I reads between the lines...

Before referring us to the nutritionnist, the dr as well as the ob nurse told me not to offer her anything to drink, prior and during her meals. I have also read it many times over in all the baby books. I agree, the dpj would not take dd over this, I am taking the appropriate actions as given by the medical team. If I were to not take this matter seriously, they would be questionning me further, I would hope they would anyway...
    Last edited by blackpup; Thu, Oct 28th, 2010 at 11:04 AM.
    My Queen passed out from pure bliss thanks to her secret Santa. Bless you kind angel

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

yes I was talking about toddlers The main issue though is "kids"
    Oh I know It's just that one girl had a child under 2 and got offended by my post so I figured I better be more specific so no one starts a war.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by blackpup View Post
    Thanks for clearing this up, with my quote in your reply, I was thinking I was being called a biatch...

Before referring us to the nutritionnist, the dr as well as the ob nurse told me not to offer her anything to drink, prior and during her meals. I have also read it many times over in all the baby books. I agree, the dpj would not take dd over this, I am taking the appropriate actions as given by the medical team. If I were to not take this matter seriously, they would be questionning me further, I would hope they would anyway...
    Try offering something to drink 20min before a meal. Milk for example opens the appetite because of the lactose. Keep water during the meal limited to 2oz for those dryer bites. Your child is only 20mo she still needs a lot of liquid in her diet to digest. Usually a pre-meal drink of 6oz suffices but some need more.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by blackpup View Post
    Thanks for clearing this up, with my quote in your reply, I was thinking I was being called a biatch...

LOL I'm not that offensive. If I felt the need to call you a biatch I wouldn't do it in a public forum. I'm blunt but I don't have a mean bone in my body I assure you. I didn't mean to come off so dry, my apologies.

KK7
    Female
    Trading Score
    618 (100%)

Kids know what they need. A child will not starve herself nor allow herself to dehydrate IF a parent pays attention to the cues. Too parents insist on being "The Big Bad Boss" and not enough parents actually tend to the needs of the child. A lot of them seem to forget rules are different for the lil ones.

All I can say is I treat my baby with respect and listen to his cues for hunger/boredom/fatigue and I've never had any problems. He eats like a champ, plays well with others and goes to bed easily. The child never cries for no reason, not even when he's tired and he's an extremely happy baby hitting his milestones way before the average.

A baby that can trust his mom is a baby who learns quickly and is healthy.

Once you've broken that trust you start running into problems. Instead of blaming the child for not doing such and such, try looking at your own behavior and look and see where you may have lost your child's trust. Did you let him cry too long without responding? Deny food/snack? Put to bed too early just because YOU needed a break? It's little things but they turn into major issues down the road...

A little self-reflection never hurts.

Don't forget.. the only thing a child CAN control is food. It's why all toddlers eventually go on a hunger strike at some point, which is normal. They test limits and boundaries. Children learn early on they control their food intake.

see this is were it gets tricky mercy I know you so I will take no ofense but saying this line
    A child will not starve herself nor allow herself to dehydrate IF a parent pays attention to the cues.

Could come off wrong my daughter used to be hooked up to IV's alot due to getting really sick and I forced it as much as possiable even the Dr. did trying to tell her prior to the IV she had to drink or less she would get a needle with no results

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

That's a particular situation and as with everything there's always an exception to every rule. Now if a child is drinking 50oz a day you're diluting the blood and that can create major havoc and cause the child to be seriously ill so yes, in that instance you're absolutely right. That's why you never EVER give more than 4oz of water to child under 8mo and never EVER EVER EVER EVER to a child under 4mo. They need more liquid they should drink milk. You can dilute a babies blood with only 2oz of water and well... they can die.

Hmmmmm
    Trading Score
    63 (100%)

My goodness, who knew this issue was such a bone of contention among parents? Not me.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

My niece and nephew have half a glass of water or milk with their meals but one of the adults watching them will hold the glasses and let them have small sips to get their food down. Otherwise they'll just down it as soon as they get it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information