User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Best Tips For Getting Ready for Christmas/Saving Money at Christmas?

Trading Score
    442 (100%)

I completely agree with Lites. Money is extreamly tight right now so i dont think anyone is getting too much present wise. I am although, on behalf of my family and as a gift to my family, I am puting together a huge donation for the needy! With the help of the RAOK's Ive been receiving and with the help of LD I have decided Im taking the "Its better to give than receive" approch this year! If anyone else would like to help out, I have a LF thread in the trade section!

Trading Score
    123 (99%)

Quote Originally Posted by BookMom View Post
    I have never tried baking anything ahead of time and freezing it. Are there some kinds of goodies that are better for freezing than others?

I think most cookies freeze well,I also freeze chocolate dipped marshmallows and pretzels,squares,butter tarts and some candies..pm me if you want recipes/directions. When it gets cold I put them outside in small containers in a rubbermaid bin saves freezer space!

Gaylene

Trading Score
    442 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by garbagepicker View Post
    When it gets cold I put them outside in small containers in a rubbermaid bin saves freezer space!
    LOL! My grandmother used to do this and call it her outside freezer. Or else she kept things in the trunk of the car when it was super cold out!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

LOL @ "not having kids"! This thread has made me laugh out loud, literally.
    Also can definitely relate to the getting too excited and giving everyone their presents way before Christmas. I have a gift bin but it is slowly dwindling.

I think my biggest money saver is that I'm going away for Christmas this year with my family and our lifelong family friends..and my family is buying it for me as my Graduating University gift! But I still have to buy presents for the other side ("in-laws" -sort of) of the family.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

I've discovered that by wrapping the early presents in really really Xmasy paper (we're talking Santas & Merry Xmas printed all over), even if I can't resist, the recipient will.

Wish I had freezer space to bake stuff ahead of time. Right now, it's full of pumpkin puree from the jackolantern (enough for doggy biscuits for the next 6 months!).

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I try to stay out of the stores. I do a couple of things to save: 1. I make bath and body products, so when I do a show & see something hand crafted that I think would be a good gift for someone I ask the artist if they would like to do a trade.

My oldest daughter is getting a hand made cookbook this year. I am putting together a book of all of our family dishes. I will be hand writing it and leaving blank pages. My hope is that this will eventually become a treasured gift that gets added to and handed down from generation to generation. Not only will it serve as a cookbook of our favourite treats, but also hold samples of our handwriting, an insight of who we were at a given time.

I love to give hand made gifts - home made jams, jellies, cookies, pies cakes, preserves or flavoured oils, but lets face it not everyone appreciates them. Those adults might get a bottle of wine.

KK7
    Female
    Trading Score
    618 (100%)

I love doing the points or pins there a nice way to get a few things free. I have redeemed recently from icoke a lip gloss set from cargo and lunchmates some sillybandz. I also have recently redeemed to Stoffers in the promo so if my Walmart Card comes before Christmas will use this for gifts if not will be perfect for the pinch after Christmas. I love lites plan, we as a family don't go many places and we love our board games!!!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    137 (100%)

I love this thread and all the suggestions I too shop year round and start boxing day, it's one of my favorite days of the year We draw names with my siblings & their partners so that has helped to cut costs but it seems over the years the budget has increased and I hope we can bring it back down after this Christmas. There are bigger and better things I'd rather do with my money (new car and build a house and I'd like to go back to school at some point). On the other hand, I do shop year round and am pretty much done at least 60% of my shopping. I need to actually go through everything and make my list and check it twice I redeemed my airmiles for gift cards and always shop GREAT sales and deals I did a redemption in June before the point amounts changed and got a LOT of goodies for x'mas gifts and then will redeem again before x'mas. I got some Halloween treats for stockings and to put in the Christmas crackers we make. And this year we've organized an cookie exchange so that will be fun!

Sorry, I was getting excited about everything not sure if any of that's tips or just my excitement!!!

Trading Score
    202 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda83 View Post
    I got some Halloween treats for stockings and to put in the Christmas crackers we make.
    How do you make Christmas crackers?

Trading Score
    69 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by BookMom View Post
    How do you make Christmas crackers?
    Omgoodness - did this as a craft project with kids when they were small(so it was def.a few years ago!!)
    Used the inside roll of the toilet roll, xmas paper ,treats...don't think we had any bang though!!
    Ahhhh memories

These are a lot fancier than the ones i made....but the idea is the same
    http://www.oldenglishcrackers.com/ma...n-crackers.htm

I like the fact it has a picture by picture guide cos i am rubbish at craft projects!!
    Last edited by kazm-l; Wed, Nov 10th, 2010 at 11:14 AM.

Trading Score
    442 (100%)

I remember years ago, my mom decided to try and do the home cracker thing. I turned out really well and I have been contemplating the idea for a few years now!

Trading Score
    202 (100%)

Have any of you ever made bath salts for presents? I just came across this site that had recipes for them and labels for printing off.

http://www.allfreecrafts.com/giftina...th-salts.shtml

I already have the jars and epsom salts, so am thinking this could make a good gift without spending too much money. I've never made these before, so if any of you have any hints about the process, I'll be eager to hear them!!

mle
    Female
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I have a couple

Food-
    • Make a list of everything you need, don't forget the holiday favourites (certain chocolates/desserts) and ask family members to help in case you forget anything. You don't want to rush out last minute and pay more for something than you should have.
    • Making a list can also allow you to keep your eyes out for sales, especially if you can combine them with coupons. You can buy things that won't spoil as early as now (ex. cookies, frozen cakes and the like).
    • Order all the coupons you might possibly need, for food as well as other things like glade air fresheners and pepto bismol
    • The dollar store is great for small things you might for parties need like napkins, plastic cups and cutlerly.
    • If you're having a big dinner, ask everyone to bring something to the table, like a potluck- make a list of who is bringing what so you can have balance of foods. Some ideas of what people can bring could be a box of chocolates, a fruit platter, or a box of frozen appetizers. It's a fun way to save money and get everyone involved.
    Presents-
    • Again, making a list will definitely help. Set goals to finish buying presents at a certain time so you don't get stuck in the rush.
    • If you're unsure what to buy for someone, look out for sales and browse the store- you might see something suitable for a great price.
    • Cute gift wrap can be found at the dollar store so you can avoid buying more expensive wrap elsewhere. It's really all the same! The dollar store will also have tape, bags, tissue paper, bows, and ribbons as well as special gift boxes.
    • It doesn't take much to make kids happy! Ask them what ONE toy they'd like to make it easier, and then get them some more small things. Sometimes one or two bigger presents are better than a bunch of little ones for the same price, you'll know what will make your child happier.
    • Making gifts is always great too! If you know how to knit or crochet, making scarves, hats, and mittens (booties/slippers for the little ones) could make a practical and heartfelt gift for a friend- with only the cost of yarn and some small supplies. Making jewellery, bath soaps/salts and tins of cookies, brownies and the like can also be great.
    Last edited by mle; Sat, Nov 13th, 2010 at 01:09 PM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I also buy throughout the year starting on Boxing Day.

Shoppers Optimum card is a good way to buy make up kits, perfume, etc (I think 8000 points is $10). Zellers points can be used to purchase Zellers Gift cards.

Thrift stores through out the year have brand new items donated by people that got them as gifts (birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas, etc) & they didnt like them or were duplicates so donated them.

You local libray has Christmas Movies on DVD that you can rent for a movie night.

Cut the pictures on your Christmas cards you recieved the previous year to make homemade gift tags for your Chrsitmas gifts.

Homemade cookies, squares, make great gifts.

Fancy Christmas tins or plastic containers from the Dollar store (aroeund Christmas time) can be filled Christmas candies for a nice gift.

Hope someone can use these tips.
    Casey

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I find that with a lot of my friends and family, we have so much stuff that it's hard to buy gifts that will be new or exciting to the receiver. (I'm speaking adults here. Kids are a different story.)

A couple of years ago, I started a tradition of giving a Christmas ornament for their tree. Some years I made the ornament myself, other years I buy them. I stock up on supplies and/or ornaments on Boxing Day.

Depending on the person/couple, I'll also include a gift that consumable, which can be anything from a bottle of wine, a box of chocolate, home-made jam/chutney, gift basket or gift certificate.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information