User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: kindergarden

Trading Score
    58 (98%)

is it wrong to not send my 3 year old to school full days in September instead of next?She turns 4 on December 1st this year. Everbody looks at me like I am doing something wrong here when i tell them she is going to school this year but next.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    https://legerweb.com/VADJC Join Leger Web And Start Earning Today =)

34591328S1 Sign Up at ING Direct With This ORange Key To Receive Free $50

Trading Score
    44 (100%)

I don't see what the big deal is. people are in a rush for their kids to grow up. if your child's not ready yet why push it. are you going to be putting her into jk or sk whens she is 5?
    You know you want free stuff too! Join Swagbucks with me http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/cdiddy1

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

I didnt think they'd let a 4 year old start kindergarten... I thought the kids had to be 5 years old by december of that year in order to start kindergarten. It must be different from province to province - I know Sammy (hes 4 turning 5 in July) could not start kindergarten until this September.
    The average dog
    is nicer
    than the average person.

Trading Score
    98 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondLil View Post
    I didnt think they'd let a 4 year old start kindergarten... I thought the kids had to be 5 years old by december of that year in order to start kindergarten. It must be different from province to province - I know Sammy (hes 4 turning 5 in July) could not start kindergarten until this September.
    yes thats what i thought..she is still young..
    i myself feel so bad for my son..he will be three the coming october and he rarely sees kids..

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    52 (98%)

Nope, I'm in the same situation. My boys will be 4 in Nov but were preemies and not supposed to have been born until January. I've decided not to put them in JK. They will continue on with preschool which is must more appropriate for where they are at developmentally.

Don't let other people make you feel better. Only you know what is right for your child.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I wouldn't push her into full days until she's ready.
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    30 (82%)

my kids are going to prek for two years which is just mornings and then going to k when their 5.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Keep your child at home as long as possible til she's the right age for kindergarten.

For our son, the year before K, he went to a Ukrainian immersion program three mornings a week - to help get him ready to go to the Ukrainian bilingual elementary school he went to.

Trading Score
    239 (100%)

I wouldn't send her for full days yet...she's only 3! Preschool here in NS has 2-3 days a week, half days (depending on where you go), maybe try her there if she's not already?!

Good luck!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    60 (100%)

I guess it depends on your personal choice and the rules in your province, but here kids have to turning 5 in the calendar year they are starting kindergarten. For example, my dd will be four in March (born in 2007), and she'll start kindergarten in September 2012. My ds turns three in October (born in 2008) and starts kindergarten in September 2013. So, dd will be five and a half and ds will be shy of his fifth birthday when they start. And, even then, they will only be going for half days.

I personally wouldn't put a three year old in all-day school. They have many, many years of that ahead of them, and I'm already sad thinking about when my first little one will be venturing off to school!

Trading Score
    44 (100%)

my DS will be 3 when he enters jk next sept. and he will turn 4 in dec.
    the school he'll be going to doesn't have full day kindergarten yet and I 'm happy about that. I know he is ready for school but I don't want him going full-time as he is so young.
    My DD is in sk and it's her first year of school. every child is different.
    You know you want free stuff too! Join Swagbucks with me http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/cdiddy1

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    147 (100%)

I'm not a fan of the full day JK and SK we have here in ON. My kids are fall babies and so are very young. I find he comes home exhausted (but he LOVES it). Like it was said above, they have years of school ahead of them. I almost switched schools to get away from the full day JK, but figured the following year the other school would have it anyway. Ours was a pilot project, so started this year.
    (I'm so tired, did this make any sense?)

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Do you know what the curriculum is like? If not, find out as much as you can.

I know a lot of parents worry about full day, but I dont think it's really different than centre based daycares. If I understand the program correctly, it will focus on play based learning.

My DD has been in a centre based daycare for 2 full days a week since she was 20 months, they set aside one 2 hour nap (12-2pm) each day. Of course DD doesn't sleep, she enjoys playing way too much. lol. So, yes she's tired at the end of the day but she loves going to daycare. And it's really improved a lot of skills (ie, social, talking, etc).

DD was born in December so I can enroll her quite early also, which I am sure I'll probably do. Although I do have some concerns, such as class size, teacher/student ratio, nap time, play based learning, etc.

Personally I'd talk to the school board and if possible the actual school she will be attending to find out as much as possible.

Dont know if you have done any research yet, but here are some sites you may want to check out to get you started:

http://www.etfo.ca/Publications/Posi...%20Forward.pdf

http://www.parentcentral.ca/parent/e...ten-curriculum

http://news.ontario.ca/opo/en/2010/0...dergarten.html

http://www.thestar.com/article/87178...ll-day-by-2012

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

I'd look into the rules....although you most definately don't have to put her in school until grade 1, I'm pretty sure if you don't put her in JK the following year you have to put her in SK not JK. You can definately not put her in JK but I'm not sure if you can hold her back per say.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    147 (100%)

There are 27 kids in my DS's class, with one teacher and one ECE. Even though there are 2 'teachers', 27 is a lot. The room is VERY crowded. Everything takes longer - washroom breaks, washing hands, getting snow suits on...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information