User Tag List

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Scanning Code Of Practice

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by xbbx View Post
    okay, i read the last few pages and i got a little confused. If it's on sale and the price rings up higher than that...it doesn't apply to SCOP?

BUT if its not on sale, but the little price tag on the shelf says, let's say 5.99 and it rung up as 8.99, you get it free?
    I've gotten SCOP applied on sale items. At my local Sobeys they don't hesitate to give me all my money back without my even asking for it. Recently it was pears, and when I came back the next day they already knew that they had been ringing up wrong the day before. Credited my Visa with the full purchase price. Fortunately Sobeys is nearby, so I got back the next day.

Today I was at Superstore, my bread rang up wrong, but I didn't catch it till I got home. I guess this is how they make up for the lost dollars on SCOP, most people won't bother to go back for a dollar or two. It's funny how most people won't bother with coupons either, I saved $5 today on my groceries at Superstore.

But I'm a Smart Canuck, so I sure I will!

Z

aznpiggie's Newbie List aznpiggie's Avatar
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

I was at the self checkout today at Zehrs and the Europes Best Carrots I had picked up rung in at 3.69 instead of 1.99 which was had the sign had clearly stated. I told one lady and she adjusted it to 1.99 so I asked if it shouldn't it be free. She told be although the price is that but the barcode on the sign for 1.99 was different from what was actually on the bag. Is that legit argument or should it have been free? It was closing time so i didn't have time to run back and check the upc.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I ran into a similar situation in Ancaster ON a week ago. I was visiting my daughter for the weekend and we were at the Walmart on Wilson St. I purchased a file folder that clearly stated the price of $6.97 but rang up for $8.97. When I brought this to the attention of the young, very busy cashier, she did nothing but tell me that that was what it rung up at. I said I didn't want it at that price and she voided it.

I proceeded to leave the store, since my daughter and her family were waiting on me at this point, but thought I'd go to the Courtesy desk and get them to check it out. They sent another young lady to go back and check the item. There had only been two there in that slot, and they were unlike all the others, so I DID believe that they were correctly situated.

She came back with the same answer. According to the barcode, they were $8.97. I didn't have any recourse at that point, so I left. A few days later, back home in Niagara Falls, I went to the local Walmart and there on the shelf was the exact same folders at $6.97...I BOUGHT ONE. Now, I've looked up the receipt from the Ancaster walmart (since I'd purchased other items) and it shows that the $8.97 was voided for that folder. I now have the receipt for the one I purchased here and I plan on going into speak to the manager, if necessary, to try to get them to give me the price of the folder back!

I believe I have every right, since they do subscribe to the SCOP and I DID stand my ground at the other store, and asked them to check it, with that in mind. IF this store won't give me any satisfaction, I plan on going to the one in Ancaster the very next time I'm up there and confronting them with this.

I'm not sure I'll be able to get my money for this folder, because I think the codes might be different from store to store, but I feel that I was definitely in the right, and I plan on making my case!
    Last edited by Jovin; Sun, May 17th, 2009 at 11:15 PM.

Proud Mom of Gena bunnybuster78's Avatar
    Trading Score
    78 (100%)

I ran into the similar situation as well. I went to RCSS on Lougheed Hwy, Coquitlam BC to purchase Nice and Easy Touch up for my mom. London drugs had this item on sale for 4.99 (advertised). Usually RCSS will price match, but they didn't. The price on shelf showed 5.99. I made sure the price was coressponding to the right item. So I bought 2 of them.

First the cashier entered $1 off coupon instead of $1.50. She insisted my coupon valus was $1. I asked her to show me the coupon again but she said she had insereted the coupon into the cash register and she had no access to it to retrieve the coupon. So, I didn't make a big deal of 50 cents. Then I noticed I was charge 7.99 for each item. I went to the customer service for an adjustment.

The customer service supervisor was the one who handled the adjustment. She initially said that each shade had different price. I advised that I had double checked it and the shelf showed $5.99 for this particular shade I bought. She asked someone to pricecheck. Then she gave me the items for $5.99, but didn't give one for free (SCOPE). I mentioned about SCOPE but she said : the price label on the shelf showed $5.99, but it also showed an expiration date of some time last year (2008)!. If the label did not show the expiration date, she would have given me one item free.

It really doesn't make any sense!. So I walked back to the isle to double check the label and it did show some date in 2008 (it didn't say about "expiration date). I checked other items and most of them also showed some date in 2008. My questions are:
    1. Is it a price expiration date or a price effective date?
    2. Most of price labels in Superstore are expired. Doesn't this mean Superstore tries to mislead customers with the expired labels?

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by bunnybuster78 View Post
    I ran into the similar situation as well. I went to RCSS on Lougheed Hwy, Coquitlam BC to purchase Nice and Easy Touch up for my mom. London drugs had this item on sale for 4.99 (advertised). Usually RCSS will price match, but they didn't. The price on shelf showed 5.99. I made sure the price was coressponding to the right item. So I bought 2 of them.

First the cashier entered $1 off coupon instead of $1.50. She insisted my coupon valus was $1. I asked her to show me the coupon again but she said she had insereted the coupon into the cash register and she had no access to it to retrieve the coupon. So, I didn't make a big deal of 50 cents. Then I noticed I was charge 7.99 for each item. I went to the customer service for an adjustment.

The customer service supervisor was the one who handled the adjustment. She initially said that each shade had different price. I advised that I had double checked it and the shelf showed $5.99 for this particular shade I bought. She asked someone to pricecheck. Then she gave me the items for $5.99, but didn't give one for free (SCOPE). I mentioned about SCOPE but she said : the price label on the shelf showed $5.99, but it also showed an expiration date of some time last year (2008)!. If the label did not show the expiration date, she would have given me one item free.

It really doesn't make any sense!. So I walked back to the isle to double check the label and it did show some date in 2008 (it didn't say about "expiration date). I checked other items and most of them also showed some date in 2008. My questions are:
    1. Is it a price expiration date or a price effective date?
    2. Most of price labels in Superstore are expired. Doesn't this mean Superstore tries to mislead customers with the expired labels?
    SCOP should have applied in that circumstance. She is wrong. It is up to them to insure the price labels aren't outdated.

Again from FAQ about SCOP

The displayed price was expired, does the SCOP apply?
    Yes, if any displayed price for that item is lower than the price the item scans for Scanning Code applies.

You could have asked to speak to a manager or wrote down her name and call the number below.

Scanning Code of Practice If the scanned price of a non-price item is higher than the shelf price or any other displayed price, the customer is entitled to receive the first item free, up to a $10 maximum. If a Code of Practice problem cannot be resolved at the store level, please call 1-866-499-4599 to register your complaint
    Last edited by gradin123; Mon, May 18th, 2009 at 02:25 AM.

Trading Score
    78 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by gradin123 View Post
    SCOP should have applied in that circumstance. She is wrong. It is up to them to insure the price labels aren't outdated.

Again from FAQ about SCOP

Yes, if any displayed price for that item is lower than the price the item scans for Scanning Code applies.

You could have asked to speak to a manager or wrote down her name and call the number below.

Scanning Code of Practice If the scanned price of a non-price item is higher than the shelf price or any other displayed price, the customer is entitled to receive the first item free, up to a $10 maximum. If a Code of Practice problem cannot be resolved at the store level, please call 1-866-499-4599 to register your complaint

Yeah that's what my sister in law told me. At that time I didn't know where to find the details about the policy. I will print out the FAQ page and show it to them next time when it happens again!.

Actually I was about to approach that Supervisor again after checking out the shelf again. I was ready to argue, but then my husband showed his sour face..he wanted to go home asap to catch the hockey playoff on tv!

aznpiggie's Newbie List aznpiggie's Avatar
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

umm...so still in my case should i have been able to apply scop? the lady argued that the UPC code on sign was different than on the product but sign said same product.

Trading Score
    78 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by aznpiggie View Post
    umm...so still in my case should i have been able to apply scop? the lady argued that the UPC code on sign was different than on the product but sign said same product.
    I would have asked them if they can show me the product that was on the sign. Do you think the product may have different weight, color, etc????

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    32 (97%)

Thanks for the great info. I now understand SCOP

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by bunnybuster78 View Post
    I would have asked them if they can show me the product that was on the sign. Do you think the product may have different weight, color, etc????
    I would have pursued my situation longer, but I had my SIL and 2 daughters and 2 grandkids all waiting in the car! I am definitely contacting the store over this after this holiday!

Hubby Thinks Im Crazy =)
    Trading Score
    36 (93%)

I recently found out about SCOP and I was wondering what stores I should be on the lookout for it at???

Trading Score
    96 (100%)

the superstore is a great place for scop oppourtunities. they always forget to change the prices on the signs they are really bad at that LOL. Everytime i go to the superstore i find a scop(usually)

i am pretty sure all stores do scop except zellers.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Go the seach and type in Scanning Code of Practice and you will get alot of posts regarding this topic. This is just one I copied from there. Hope it is helpful to you.
    <HR style="COLOR: #ffffff; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- NuHit--><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> <!-- var g_rating_thread_18594 = false; function rate_thread_18594(dir) { if (g_rating_thread_18594) return; g_rating_thread_18594 = true; nr_rate_thread( rate_thread_done_18594, 18594, dir ); } function rate_thread_done_18594() { g_rating_thread_18594 = false; nr_rate_thread_done( 'nr_rating_18594', 'thumbs_up_18594', 'thumbs_dn_18594' ); } //--> </SCRIPT>

<!-- / NuHit--><!-- message -->Consumers be aware of the Scanning Code of Practice

Not sure if this is the right place to add this tip. I was made aware from a friend when we had a similar issue a few days back at TNT. Thought i'd share.

What is the Scanning Code of Practice?

The Scanning Code of Practice is a voluntary code that nearly every major retailer in Canada adheres to. It promises the customer accurate price scanning at the register on all UPC scanned or Price Look Up (PLU) merchandise. If an item scans in at a price higher than the shelf price the customer gets it for free (or $10 off if the item is more than $10)

The scanning code is endorsed by The Competition Bureau of Canada was created from the collaborative efforts of the Retail Council of Canada, the Canadian Association of Chain Drug Stores, the Canadian Federation of Independent Grocers and the Canadian Council of Grocery Distributors.

At participating retailers you should see this sign on the entrance doors and at the till that reads:

Scanning Code of Practice: If the scanned price of a non-price item is higher than the shelf price or any other displayed price, the customer is entitled to receive the first item free, up to a $10 maximum. If a Code of Practice problem cannot be resolved at the store level, please call 1-866-499-4599 to register your complaint.

FAQ's ABOUT SCOP

Who participates in the SCOP?
    Nearly every major retailer in Canada participates in voluntary Scanning Code.

For a list of all participating retailers - Click Here

If the store I am in does not have the sign do they participate in the SCOP?
    Although all participating retailers are suppose to display the Scanning Code of Practice sign as shown above, not all do. See the link above for a full list of participating stores and chains.

Does Zeller’s particpate in SCOP?
    No, Zeller’s does not participate in voluntary Scanning Code. Except for i Quebec where this code is the law and not voluntary

Will the cashier give me the product free without mentioning the SCOP?
    It is likely that you will have to ask the cashier to apply the Scanning Code of Practice. If the store is a participant they must give it to you for free or $10 off if the priced scanned is higher than the shelf or other displayed price. If the store will not apply the code, call 1-866-499-4599 and register a complaint.

How about if I more than one of an item that scans in wrong?
    If you buy three identical items you are entitled to the first item free, the following items will be adjusted to the lower price.

How about if I buy many different items that scan in wrong?
    You are entitled to the first item free per unique UPC, so if each item has a different UPC each item is free. You are entitled to one item free per unique UPC code.

The product had a price tag on it does the SCOP apply?
    No, the Scanning Code only applies to non-price ticketed items.

The item was on clearance does the SCOP apply?
    If the item is not ticketed with a price and the mark down was only by a sign or dsiplay than yes, the scanning code applies.

How about if the price that scans in for lower than the display price does the SCOP apply
    No, the Scanning Code of Practice only applies if the price that scans in is higher than the shelf or any other displayed price.

My item was more than $10 do I get it free?
    No, if your item is more than $10 you will get $10 off the price of your item.

I want to learn more, where can I find out more about the SCOP?
    For more information on the Scanning Code of Practice please visit the link below: Click Here

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Well, I did it! I wouldn't let it go. I went into the local Walmart a couple of days ago, and had three different supervisors/employees involved in this discussion. I explained what happened and they went to the shelf with me and found that the one that had been rung through up in Ancaster had in incorrect code on.

Of course, they didn't realize this until I persisted that THAT wasn't the one I'd chosen! They kept trying to tell me that by the code on that first receipt, that I'd picked the particular folder that they were saying belonged to that barcode. I stood my ground and showed them the one that I bought here, and described the design on the one just like this that I'd chosen in Ancaster...yellow with daisies..(my grandaughter's choice). They didn't have that design here when I bought the one for $6.97 on my return home.

Then they told me that I should have pursued the matter while I was in the store up in Ancaster. DUH! Like I did! I told them again, what happened and finally they said there was nothing they could do. So, today I called the Ancaster Walmart and asked for the manager, and told them I was calling long distance (free, though! LOL) and that it was in regard to an experience I had at their store on Mothers' Day.

They put me on with the Duty Manager, and after I explained it to him, he agreed that I should have been given the folder for free, and that it hadn't been handled well at all. He's emailing the other duty managers to tell them what happened and explained that I can bring in the two receipts next time I'm up there, and they'll give me a refund for the one I purchased here in the Falls. I'M A HAPPY CAMPER!

Trading Score
    19 (100%)

thanx for the info

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread Information