User Tag List

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Alright so I'm looking for opinions and ideas on how to use this product. I am not a vegetarian by any means but I am sticking to a stricter diet and trying to incorporate more protein which is hard since I don't eat much dairy so I saw the Yves Ground Round and wondered if it would be good. So first question first: Anyone that has tried this, is it good?

I was thinking of making a chili out of it by mixing it with canned tomatos, beans and cooked lean ground turkey. Again keep in mind I'm not a vegetarian but I thought that perhaps this would taste good as well as stretch the ground round a little further since the stuff is quite expensive, well at least for my budget lol

So any thoughts on the ground round in general would be great and any recipes/ideas on how to use this product would be great. The obvious (tacos) is out because I stay away from white flour and processed wheat flour which is why I thought making a chili that could stretch might work.

Thanks in advance guys!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by TaraF; Sun, Apr 24th, 2011 at 08:53 PM.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

No Yves Ground Round Fans here? Okay, maybe not fans but not even any users of the product? lol

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

LOVE the stuff. I make tacos with it, chili, taco salad, lasagna, shepherd's pie. I used it exactly the way I would ground beef.

Search out recipes here. http://www.yvesveggie.com/recipes/default.php

eta: my favourite is taco salad. I just mix some up with taco seasons and a bit of water, to make a sauce for it. Chop up a lettuce (romaine) add tomatoes, a little shredded cheddar, diced peppers, chives (or red onion) and some crushed up tostitos and top with a little salsa. One of my favourite meals.
    Last edited by gourmetsue; Tue, Apr 26th, 2011 at 07:35 PM.

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

We use Yves ground round ALL THE TIME!!!
    Honestly, use it anywhere you would use ground meat. You might need to tweak it to make it taste like beef..since you're not a vegetarian, get yourself some beef boullion powder to cook with Just a pinch or two into the meat will give it better flavour.

Might I add.. you might want to look into getting some TVP (Textured vegetable protein)! It's probably 500% cheaper than Yves prepared ground round and healthier. I like being able to control what goes in to it, like sodium preservatives, spices etc. This TVP stuff can be found at bulk stores (Bulk Barn) or health food stores. Usually $1.50 - $2 a pound?! & it's light in weight -SO cheap. It's unflavoured, so that beef bouillon will come in handy. Just soak it in some hot water/broth, drain a bit and use as usual.

Check out recipes for: Chinese lettuce wraps, chili, bolognese sauce, add it to lasagnas, make a curry beef filling with it, pan fry it and add it to a rice dish- like fried rice

Just posted a picture of a dish I made using TVP chucks: http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/3334568-post7218.html
    Last edited by janetta; Thu, Apr 28th, 2011 at 04:21 AM.
    Get a $5 sign up bonus @ EBATES.ca -------------------- Come join me on WAGJAG!
    P.S. The cash out minimum for Ebates is $5.01!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I slip it into stuff ALL the time, and DH has never noticed and I have no intentions of ever telling him! lol! Like others have said you can literally use it anywhere that you would normally use ground beef. I'd suggest going with something like a chilli or taco, something with lots of flavouring, just to begin with, then you can get more adventurous.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I use it! Everyone else made good comments! I mostly use it in my chili and shepherd's pie
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by janetta View Post
    Just posted a picture of a dish I made using TVP chucks: http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/3334568-post7218.html
    The picture of the the one that isn't chicken, looks like chicken. Looks yummy. Does the TVP absorb flavours of the sauces well?
    Thanks.

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    The picture of the the one that isn't chicken, looks like chicken. Looks yummy. Does the TVP absorb flavours of the sauces well?
    Thanks.
    Thanks!
    The plain TVP (chunks and bits) both absorb flavour really well. You'll have to experiment with the texture (I like my tvp on the dry side, not so much soaked in sauce..unless its chili etc) vs. flavour though depending on the dish you're making! Sometimes it takes up so much flavour it becomes too salty. lol
    Get a $5 sign up bonus @ EBATES.ca -------------------- Come join me on WAGJAG!
    P.S. The cash out minimum for Ebates is $5.01!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by janetta View Post
    Thanks!
    The plain TVP (chunks and bits) both absorb flavour really well. You'll have to experiment with the texture (I like my tvp on the dry side, not so much soaked in sauce..unless its chili etc) vs. flavour though depending on the dish you're making! Sometimes it takes up so much flavour it becomes too salty. lol
    Thanks.
    I am going to try some from Bulk Barn.

Thread Information