User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Trading Score
    33 (100%)

In Ontario, the college of pharmacists banned the practice of giving points (SDM, airmiles, club z, etc.) for prescriptions in 2002 or 2003. The reasons given at the time were that the practice was seen as unprofessional, that it may violate the pharmacists' code of ethics (because there was a reward for getting a 'scrip) and I think they also mentioned something about stores using it to lure customers just for bonus points...

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by minouchefreedom View Post

As it is I have to pay for the privilage of having lactaid for lactose intolerance, so I can drink milk or eating any milk products. I use 2 with my morning coffee, 2 with any meal that has milk in it, and drink a few cups of coffee each day. The irony is I have been ordered to increase my calcium and milk is the way to go other than supplements......none of these are covered by any plan I am on now....... it cost me a small fortune.....ak!!!

My daughter on a disability income has coverage for Lactaid, and she take more than I on a daily basis........
    I have lactose intolerance, too, and just limit my milk/dairy. For coffee I use lactose-free Coffee Mate (yeah, it doesn't taste the same as milk, but it's worth the switch). Another option for coffee is Lactaid milk.
    I also plan meals so I don't cook anything with cheese/dairy more than once or twice a week (pizza, lasagne, for example) - then that's fewer Lactaid pills I have to take weekly.
    I make sure I buy Lactaid pills ahead of time when there's a coupon out - every few months save dot ca seems to have one, which is good.

Trading Score
    569 (100%)

So I am assuming this change only affects BC?? No word of it changing here is Nova Scotia??? We still get points on scrips and I hope it doesn't come to an end.
    Want free Christmas shopping???
    get giftcards to Amazon!!

Trading Score
    84 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    That's true ..ON never had points for precriptions
    Actually at the beginning years ago they did. I had a medication that cost $2000 a month...I racked up a TON of points because of that. It was maybe for only a year then it stopped. Was a sad sad day for me.
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Dayanara - Earn free stuff just for searching the web!

http://www.wagjag.com/?wid=66bba0e75...fbd07b4aef23ad - WagJag it up! Great deals at a fraction of the cost.

Trading Score
    297 (100%)

In ON we buy a SDM GC & then use the GC to pay for prescriptions!
    Last edited by carlyincanada; Thu, Apr 28th, 2011 at 09:04 AM.

Trading Score
    32 (97%)

hmm well than sdm's switch over program is going to be shot out of the water... I go to costco because it has always been cheaper

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

It seems strange reasoning that points would be a reason why people get meds they don't need.

Maybe it's just me, but my insurance only covers a certain percentage, so for every med I get I need to pay for a percentage of it. I get it because I need it, not because of points. Although the points incentive does make me choose which pharmacy I am going to.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

cheapest guy in the west
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I asked my brother about this today, he is a pharmacy technician at wal mart and he told me wal mart has been trying to get the college of pharmicists to stop their competitors from giving out points because they have difficulty competing in their pharmacy, particularly with safeway and shoppers. They are also trying to force costco to allow non members to use there pharmacy.

Trading Score
    52 (100%)

I wish they would just leave the points on, I sure will miss it !!!!

please add your SC's name when doing a trade
    then I can make sure I can rate YOU

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ShoestringShopper View Post
    Shouldn't it be up to the doctor not to prescribe unnecessary medication? Shouldn't the government be coming down on doctors who overprescribe instead of penalizing those innocent people who collect their airmiles and make the best of a bad and expensive medical condition? What a screwed up world we live in!
    The government is ok with us taking wildly dangerous and overpriced drugs for the enrichment of pharmaceutical companies, but god forbid we the patients should find some little benefit in all that!
    (Sorry. I'm stepping off the soapbox now!)
    Technically its not the government, but the College of Pharmacists.

Trading Score
    317 (100%)

Hopefully it's not as bad as it sounds...

I spoke with my SDM pharmacy yesterday, they explained customers will still get points on prescriptions that they pay for, just not any portion that the Government pays for. I was told this goes into effect July 3, 2011. The Government doesn't want Canadians benefiting from items they are paying for (so silly if you ask me).

I have an extended health plan that reimburses me for my prescription so I will continue to get Optimum points until I reach my Pharmacare annual deductible which is when the Government starts paying. For those people who have part, or all of their prescriptions covered by the Government, you can still purchase SDM gift cards and get points, then use the GCs to pay for your prescription purchase.

In the past I have used my PC Mastercard to purchase SDM gift cards, and then use the gift card to purchase my prescriptions. I get points on my PC Mastercard, as well I get Optimum points for purchasing the GC, and again I get points for the prescriptions I pay for. The systems are there so why not use them.
    Last edited by jojos_n_kelowna; Fri, Apr 29th, 2011 at 11:04 AM.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

thanks for this update

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Hallie's Mom View Post
    My little girl is on a lot of perscription meds, and we never get points on them at SDM either???
    This law/rule has been in place in Ontario for years already. The only way around it is to get the Optimum MasterCard and purchase your perscriptions with it. You will then get points for the credit card purchases

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by carlyincanada View Post
    In ON we buy a SDM GC & then use the GC to pay for prescriptions!
    Thank you I will start doing this!!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    49 (100%)

Perhaps they are referring to the points that customers receive from SDM when they pay with their Shoppers Optimum Mastercard - I know you don't get regular points for prescriptions, but if you pay with the SDM credit card you get the points (25 per dollar)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information