User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Thanks Dianne, I look forward to hearing you've found a good answer!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by KellyC View Post
    They are members on here, so you need to be careful what you say...no member bashing....you were already quite judgemental in another thread about a lady who got an overage on this same product at Zellers. I hope you didn't just join up to cause problems and judge people....10 posts and you're doing a good job of it.
    +1

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

I already apologized and the post was edited by a moderator, why carry it on???

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MonicaT1972 View Post
    I already apologized and the post was edited by a moderator, why carry it on???
    Hi Monica.
    Just wanted to clarify.
    My +1 was to indicate that I am not as eloquent as KellyC in posting.
    My +1 was not to "carry on".

Your initial thoughts about saving versus hoarding was a good point to make!

Have a great end of May!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

Monica, I think you raise a valid question when you ask when does couponing become hoarding? Getting a great deal can become addictive and some of us can tend to be pack-rats by nature. I am writing the date on packages as I open or use them so that I know how quickly I go through items such as laundry detergent, cleansers, dish soap, etc., etc. I absolutely believe in stocking up --I did this before I began couponing. But for me there is a point where I need to stop buying no matter how great the deal. Like others, I do donate and like to have items on hand for last-minute donation opportunities. When one crosses the 'line' will be different for each of us.
    Last edited by DianneS; Tue, May 31st, 2011 at 06:40 PM.

Trading Score
    31 (100%)

Would it still be hording if we are stockpiling for the end of the world in 2012?

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Cokebears View Post
    Would it still be hording if we are stockpiling for the end of the world in 2012?
    Nope! My hubby says that's when you are NOT crossing any lines!!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Try calling any of the women's shelters, the Hope Mission, the Bissell or the Herb Jamieson to see if they will take your surplus Advil. If the boxes are unopened, they just might.

Trading Score
    25 (100%)

I see no problem with stocking up on what you will use or donate. If I can save money because I get a good deal on something that I typically use by stocking up when it is on sale I feel I am saving in 2way: I am getting it on sale and for CHEAP, and I by stocking up I am not needing to buy that item for awhile which is more money I can use for something else my family needs that month and the next month ( and so on depending on how much I have stocked up )

Trading Score
    48 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MonicaT1972 View Post
    Dumb question of the day, but what charity would take medications such as the Advil nighttime. I have a lot of coupons for it, but would never use it but would go get it if I knew there was somewhere it could be donated.
    In the Advil case it went to the people who help me collect coupons. Friends, family and neighbours. I don't think Charities would take drugs. Food to the food bank and cleaning supplies to the SPCA. I don't get much free stuff that I won't use but when I do I donate it. My house hasn't become a grocery store.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

We are getting our kitchen renovated and our contractor was looking in our cupboards.

I do not even think I have that much and he said "you know if you have not used it in six months chances are you will not"

So maybe modify that to "if you have not used it or have not found a place to donate it in six months" likely you won't. Or "is stuff going bad that you have stored up" How much are you throwing out or what is unusable by the time you get to it. Cleaning supplies, laundry soap,etc never seem to go bad but toothpaste and deodarant will.

On one of the extreme couponing shows..the guy and his wife drove right up after shopping and donated what they got.

Bottom line is what we personally feel comfortable with as a stockpile. For some they prefer to always have some back up but it of course a question of how much is necessary.

Trading Score
    123 (99%)

Quote Originally Posted by Kelkens View Post
    Cleaning supplies, laundry soap,etc never seem to go bad but toothpaste and deodarant will.
    laundry soap will actually separate and then it probably shouldn't be used

toothbrush, tp, paper towel, kleenex, etc won't expire

shampoo, bodywash, deo, glade, febreeze, cleaners, anything with a scent will change after time

Trading Score
    21 (100%)

the word couponing can be removed. Hoarding is hoarding.

If someone buys things they will never use and yet have emotional distress parting with
    If the things they buy are taking over the space in their home to a degree that they and others cannot be mobile or safe
    if someone has no idea of what they have and doesn't keep track of expiration dates, leaking packages etc
    If someone buys things to a degree that it puts them in financial difficulty
    If someone buys things and has no concept of how to organize them
    ..then maybe its hoarding

But then again when the media portrays something it almost seems to be human nature to want to go around diagnosing people, not necessarily because we want to help them.

Trading Score
    48 (100%)

I personally think most of the people on the show are hoarders except for the people who donate all or most to charity. Who needs 130 boxes of coucous when you don't know if you like it or 70 containers of mustard when your husband doesn't like it? The most I have is 5 jars of pickles and 6 containers of mustard and toothpaste. Next weekend some extra cleaning supplies and paper towels along with some dog toys are going to the SPCA. Need some dog treat coupons.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

The one that got me was the woman collecting diapers when she was not pregnant or did not have a baby.

I could understand if you were donating the diapers(places here in Edmonton do take donated diapers).

Another thing about storing this kind of stuff especially in garages is the issue of mice. Food even packaged will attract mice as will paper.

We made the mistake of storing a couch/chair in the garage and they buried deep into the couch which we had to throw out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information