User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    CheapArmyGal
    Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Well for myself, I do do it in excess in the opinion of many however I myself donate some and have my other family members come and shop at my house from my stock.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I do not do it so much with coupons as I find alot of stuff I do not need...ie is junk food..and stuff like airfreshener,etc I do not care for.

But free pencils/pens/ paper pads...I have enough to last til we move into the nursing home...lol...

And then of course when someone phones you can not find enough a pen that works...lol...

Dd is home sick so she is going through them all right now.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

I have a rules when it comes to stock piling. One, it gets contained in one area of the house. if I have no more room that means no more shopping. I personally think for MY kids having things take over their living space in not healthy. Two, I also only keep on hand enough of one item to last me a year. Shampoo and things like that only have a a shelf life of 12 months. What is the point in having more , noone wants expired items. And my last rule, I dont stock pile anything that is a fire hazard. This is what works for ME. It also helps cut down on any unecessary spending. For example, I have more then enough shampoo to last me the year, i have a coupon to get more shampoo for 50 cents a bottle but if i wont use that shampoo im still wasting and spending the 50 cents for somthing i dont really need. I dont consider that saving money i consider that spending money. That is when I will buy for the food bank and donate right away

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

My hubby and me talk about the hoarding issue often, especially now that extreme couponers has been aired. We don't live in a big place, but we try to save as much as we can. However, just because we can get it for free doesn't mean we will...nor will we buy extra storage cabinets to store items that we can get for free.

I watch some of the Extreme couponers, and I get sick to my stomach. Seriously, when you have to build on to your house to stock pile food that will probably expire before you actually use it all completely baffles me. And does someone really need 4000+ tubes of toothpaste? (in this guys defense, he did donate them to soldiers, but you get the idea). How about needing 6 freezers to store all of you frozen food items...believe it or not, just because its frozen doesn't mean that there is no expiry date.

I also have to wonder why oh why someone has to buy all 60 hand soaps at the store just because they are getting them for free...to me, thats selfish. Yes, you got a deal, but what about the other people that also want that deal...you just took everything off the shelf? Then, they go home and store them in their newly built stock pile room to sit for the next 6+ years. There have also been people on that show who collect baby supplies and don't even have kids!

Hoarding is a sickness. It can get out of control very easily. In my opinion, if its not something that can be used in the next year or so, it should be left in the store. I know I may be the minority, but watching that show makes me embarassed to use my coupons at times.

Hmmmmm I'm thinking
    Trading Score
    79 (100%)

Charieties will take the Advil Meds and such if theyre a place that distributes them to people... The housing projects for low income people or homeless will offer up the odd tylenol if they have some to those who have head aches and such... 1 only and they have to sign it out AND be seen by a resident doctor/nurse if one was available... at least they use too do this. I know the Bissel Centre in Edmonton did this and everything was locked up in a special room and not many people knew about it... it was meant for those who were clients of the Bissel in some form. I know several Woman shelters also do this... things like mild pain killers, birth control pill samples and additional "woman" items were always greatfully accepted. As far as the changes over the last few year I couldnt tell you... but they use to depend on the domations as the purchase just wasnt in the budget.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I think people should be able to buy what they want, and how many they want, whenever they want. As long as it's LEGAL.

Morally & ethically it's not for me to say. Everyone has to look at themself in the mirror every morning.

If you believe that you will eventually use items in your stockpile, then I don't believe it's hoarding. Buying for the sake of getting a freebie (or nearly free) on an item you never intend to use (or give away) is hoarding.

That is my two - cents

Never met a dog or coupon I didn't like.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by NeonTulie View Post
    Charieties will take the Advil Meds and such if theyre a place that distributes them to people... The housing projects for low income people or homeless will offer up the odd tylenol if they have some to those who have head aches and such... 1 only and they have to sign it out AND be seen by a resident doctor/nurse if one was available... at least they use too do this. I know the Bissel Centre in Edmonton did this and everything was locked up in a special room and not many people knew about it... it was meant for those who were clients of the Bissel in some form. I know several Woman shelters also do this... things like mild pain killers, birth control pill samples and additional "woman" items were always greatfully accepted. As far as the changes over the last few year I couldnt tell you... but they use to depend on the domations as the purchase just wasnt in the budget.
    Can you provide me with specific contact names and numbers at these locations. I have called all of them and they all say they cannot accept medications even though they are sealed due to legal reasons

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information