User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

I was rather disappointed to read a brag on The person was proud of getting 25 Quantamatic systems for free and she doesn't even have a dishwasher!!! Nor did she even realize that the product was a booster and not detergent. She had no clus that it was a system that you buy refills for and that she would be throwing out 24 non-recyclable units.

I am just disappointed as people like this will ruin couponing in Canada for the rest of us. I messaged her and she deleted my comments and blocked me from her blog.

My question is do you buy stuff just because it's a deal or are you consciencious of your purchasing and only purchase products you will actually use?

When does couponing become hoarding?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    108 (100%)

It's a fine line. I purchase what I need in the next year or so, or know I will donate. The whole point of building a stock pile is to save money - not cost you. I understand why some people buy stuff they don't need when they get overages. In that case buying those products for the overages will save you money. Then it is up to you to donate those items before it clutters up your house and you have no where left to live

I just watched her video and read the comments of someone else. She made a dollar for each she bought on overage. Then one comment said they were going to return them to make another dollar. I feel this is borderline fraud I would not feel comfortable returning items expecting full price. That would ruin it for all couponers. Apparently this has been a real problem in the lower mainland in BC.
    Last edited by mvandekuyt; Mon, May 30th, 2011 at 01:38 PM.
    I'm no longer couponing and my dogs have passed away. I can't figure out how to delete my profile. Sorry for the inconvenience.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

The Quantamatic is detergent... just to clarify lol whew got me worried I bought a few

Banned
    Trading Score
    38 (100%)

They are members on here, so you need to be careful what you say...no member bashing....you were already quite judgemental in another thread about a lady who got an overage on this same product at Zellers. I hope you didn't just join up to cause problems and judge people....10 posts and you're doing a good job of it.

I think that if you use the stuff you get or give it to someone who will use it that is fine. I think it crosses into hoarding if you just have it collecting and spilling out all over your house. If it's neat and tidy and being rotated and used, then I don't believe that is hoarding.

As a side note....the member did mention that they are temporarily living in that home. They plan on moving when she is done school. So maybe they are hoping for a dishwasher in the new place? Never hurts to plan ahead I suppose!
    Last edited by KellyC; Mon, May 30th, 2011 at 01:48 PM.

Trading Score
    108 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by KellyC View Post
    They are members on here, so you need to be careful what you say...no member bashing....you were already quite judgemental in another thread about a lady who got an overage on this same product at Zellers. I hope you didn't just join up to cause problems and judge people....10 posts and you're doing a good job of it.

I think that if you use the stuff you get or give it to someone who will use it that is fine. I think it crosses into hoarding if you just have it collecting and spilling out all over your house. If it's neat and tidy and being rotated and used, then I don't believe that is hoarding.

As a side note....the member did mention that they are temporarily living in that home. They plan on moving when she is done school. So maybe they are hoping for a dishwasher in the new place? Never hurts to plan ahead I suppose!
    Well said KellyC. Member bashing is not allowed or appreciated. The question still remains: is stocking up on something you don't need hoarding?
    As you can tell from those hoarding shows - it is a mental illness. Buying items when they are on sale when you know you will use them or donate them is not a mental illness. We should leave diagnosing hoarders up to medical professionals.

I'm interested in what someone else comment about returning the items expecting a full refund. What works for some people may not work for others. Unfortunately there is no black and white when it comes to coupons - mostly shades of grey. It makes it difficult sometimes to decide what is right and wrong. I took an ethics course last year and the main indicator we discussed about when to decide you have an ethical dilemma on your hands is when that internal alert goes off and you begin to feel uncomfortable. I would personally feel uncomfortable returning an item for more than I paid for it, even if it technically is allowed. I understand the company will still be getting the money for the coupons but somehow it doesn't sit right with me. Others may be ok with it and it works for them. I read another thread how some stores are outright not accepting some of these printable coupons due to an overwhelming storm of couponers returning them for money in BC. Then it is obviously creating a problem.
    I'm no longer couponing and my dogs have passed away. I can't figure out how to delete my profile. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Trading Score
    48 (100%)

I don't agree with returning items that you got for free. I have no idea who you are talking about so I am not bashing anyone. I think it is unethical and puts couponing at risk for the rest of us.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

My intent was not to bash whatsoever, it was genuine concern. When people overdo things and when people then commit fraud it ruins what is a good thing for all of us.

In the Zellers forum I posted an honest opinion, if I had realized the mistake I would be going back to customer service as quickly as possible and righting the wrong.

When I was stacking at Save On Foods the clerk offeret to let me stack same UPC's on Franks Red Hot. I corrected her and also went to the shift supervisor and let her know of the situation.

It is all of our jobs in this world to right wrongs whether it be immediately or after the fact plain and simple.

Again my inital intent was to question when does extreme cross over the line and become something else?

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

There was a similar dicussion in the Shopping Talk Forum, and the point I had to agree with is everyone has to set their own limits on what is too much.

I personally tried to avoid the un-environmental freebies/products. I really hate this quantamatic concept, I also hate the Klennex towels for the bathroom. Although I am a bit of a hyprocrite, because I used the Glade Sense & Spray FPC to get extra Optimum Points during the 20x points event this weekend.

I save these items for a Charity Bazaar at the kid's school.

Trading Score
    108 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEng View Post
    There was a similar dicussion in the Shopping Talk Forum, and the point I had to agree with is everyone has to set their own limits on what is too much.

I personally tried to avoid the un-environmental freebies/products. I really hate this quantamatic concept, I also hate the Klennex towels for the bathroom. Although I am a bit of a hyprocrite, because I used the Glade Sense & Spray FPC to get extra Optimum Points during the 20x points event this weekend.

I save these items for a Charity Bazaar at the kid's school.
    The school bazaar is a great idea. We have one every year that I could make a gift basket for.

Cia
    Female
    Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    104 (100%)

For myself and family I only buy what we use, I have passed up on many "deals" and freebies because I have no use for them. The Quantum is an example, and yes I have a dishwasher lol. Also passed up on the B1G1 free on all the smellies and bathroom cleaners that were out awhile ago, and also the BBQ sauce that would also have been free.
    My stash of items is only what we use, I hoard enough other things; fabric and sewing machines lol.
    I did pick up a few of the OralB toothbrushes when they were free with coupons and also Hidden Valley dressing, also free with coupons, but we use those items.
    I think that couponing/stockpiling to the extrem can become an obession with some people that already have those tendencies to begin with. If people want to have a massive stockpile, good for them, it is not my place to judge. It is just something that I have chose not to do.
    I will not argue with a cashier if they do not want to take my coupons, I just say thank you, have a great day and tell them that I will not be purchasing any items, and leave with a smile on my face. Life is to short to get worked up about things and pass judgement onto others. Just my opinion.

Trading Score
    48 (100%)

I have a list of items that I don't need anymore of such as Advil Nighttime. That was such a good deal. Free Advil! If I can get it for free it will go to Charity. I only have so much room in my house!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mvandekuyt View Post
    Well said KellyC. Member bashing is not allowed or appreciated. The question still remains: is stocking up on something you don't need hoarding?
    As you can tell from those hoarding shows - it is a mental illness. Buying items when they are on sale when you know you will use them or donate them is not a mental illness. We should leave diagnosing hoarders up to medical professionals.

I'm interested in what someone else comment about returning the items expecting a full refund. What works for some people may not work for others. Unfortunately there is no black and white when it comes to coupons - mostly shades of grey. It makes it difficult sometimes to decide what is right and wrong. I took an ethics course last year and the main indicator we discussed about when to decide you have an ethical dilemma on your hands is when that internal alert goes off and you begin to feel uncomfortable. I would personally feel uncomfortable returning an item for more than I paid for it, even if it technically is allowed. I understand the company will still be getting the money for the coupons but somehow it doesn't sit right with me. Others may be ok with it and it works for them. I read another thread how some stores are outright not accepting some of these printable coupons due to an overwhelming storm of couponers returning them for money in BC. Then it is obviously creating a problem.
    The challenge with ethics being so subjective is that some people aren't at all uncomfortable doing things that are clearly 'over the line'. I'm not saying this to be confrontational, it's just that that term 'some people have no shame' can be true.

I have seen a number of complaints on SC from people who have purchased an item, lost the receipt, and then were upset when the store would only refund the lowest sale price on that item. Others who are buying things on sale and returning them at regular price to get the extra dollar is a perfect illustration of why stores find it necessary to do this. It's too bad that some kids just can't play nicely in the sandbox!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Dumb question of the day, but what charity would take medications such as the Advil nighttime. I have a lot of coupons for it, but would never use it but would go get it if I knew there was somewhere it could be donated.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Stocking up on items you don't currently use could be seen as planning for the future. There is always someone/agency/charity that could use the items. Or you yourself may need them in the future. Hoarding is usually best diagnosed by family members, friends, physicians, psychiatrists or psychologists.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MonicaT1972 View Post
    Dumb question of the day, but what charity would take medications such as the Advil nighttime. I have a lot of coupons for it, but would never use it but would go get it if I knew there was somewhere it could be donated.

It's not a dumb question at all. Many/most charities will not take items like Advil Nighttime because there is huge liability involved in giving out or giving away any kind of drugs/medications. I am going to do some phoning around to find out who will take it and I will post the results. I suppose that if worse comes to worse, I will give it to my family doctor in case she has low-income patients she could give it to.
    Last edited by DianneS; Tue, May 31st, 2011 at 05:06 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information