User Tag List

Page 137 of 966 FirstFirst ... 37 87 127 135 136 137 138 139 147 187 237 637 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,055 of 14482
Like Tree18432Likes

Thread: Safeway's Sweet AirMiles Deals

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

If you've got any of the P&G B3G$9 coupons left then the Olay Body Wash works.

3 x 5.69 = $17.07 + HST = $19.12 - $9 coupon = $10.12

Donated you'll get a tax rebate of approx. $4.00

So actual cost = $6.12

60 AMs = $8.40 so you're ahead $2.28

If you do get the extra 60 AMs you're ahead $2.28 + $8.40 = $10.68 on every three.

There was also the B2G$5 coupons. Not quite as good but if you get the extra 60AMs still outstanding.
    OB

Who Says Men Can't Shop!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    586 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by operabob View Post
    Nah, they should have taken them all. Sometimes you get a cashier that panics and makes arbitrary decisions when they see several coupons.

I would have pointed out that every 2 items counts as one purchase. It's usually a newer employee that panics.

You could try going back and talk to customer service or take the items back for a refund. (I think you'll still keep the AMs for the refund BTW).

It was the coustomer service said no to my coupons. I explained to her that 1 purchase means 1 iteam purchase, but she didnt agree with me. I even got her to ask her manger(who knows where she went), she came back and said no.
    It was the first time they said only 1 coupon to me. I was wondering if I should call the head office to carify on monday or tuesday. I didnt buy anything since they refused to take my coupons.
    Last edited by Ameba; Sun, Oct 10th, 2010 at 02:06 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    586 (100%)

If you've got any of the P&G B3G$9 coupons left then the Olay Body Wash works.

3 x 5.69 = $17.07 + HST = $19.12 - $9 coupon = $10.12

Donated you'll get a tax rebate of approx. $4.00

So actual cost = $6.12

60 AMs = $8.40 so you're ahead $2.28

If you do get the extra 60 AMs you're ahead $2.28 + $8.40 = $10.68 on every three.

There was also the B2G$5 coupons. Not quite as good but if you get the extra 60AMs still outstanding.

What is tax rebate and how does it work?
    I called my local food bank. They said they dont write tax receipt unless I donate cash.
    Thank you

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Then I would have said,"Ring them through individually." ;-)

Charitable tax donations reduce your taxable income 26% on the first $200 (or is it 29%?) and 42% on anything over $200.

You can save the tax receipts for up to 5 years.

So, if you donate $1,000 in year 1 you get a refundable tax credit for .26 x $200 = $52 plus .42 x $800 = $336 for a total of $382 or 38.2%.
    This is claimed on your T1 tax form. Doesn't matter if you pay no taxes you still get the $382 back.

If you don't claim it in year 1 and contribute another $1,000 in year 2 you can claim both at the same time. You get $382 for year 1 but a full $420 for year 2 as the "first $200" counts for both years.

You can save receipts for up to 5 years so you'd get $382 + $420 + $420 + $420 + $420 + $420 if you did.

I donate at least $1000 worth every year and figure with the tax refund I'm ahead by over $500 at least.

My food bank does give a receipt if I can give them the original Safeway receipt. Check to see if there are other organizations in you area that can do this for you: churches, animal shelters, etc.
    OB

Who Says Men Can't Shop!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ameba View Post
    It was the coustomer service said no to my coupons. I explained to her that 1 purchase means 1 iteam purchase, but she didnt agree with me. I even got her to ask her manger(who knows where she went), she came back and said no.
    It was the first time they said only 1 coupon to me. I was wondering if I should call the head office to carify on monday or tuesday. I didnt buy anything since they refused to take my coupons.
    Definitely call the head office Tuesday.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

I ran through 20 "one per purchase only" $1.50 Colgate coupons on Friday.
    OB

Who Says Men Can't Shop!

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Olay and Old Spice Body Wash
    Eric,

Here's one you might consider trying especially if you have any coupons.

Safeway has the Olay and Old Spice Body Wash on the shelves as B3G60.

The Old Spice is 6.07

The Olay is 5.89 & 6.74

There is also a B3G60 coupon with a PLU code in the flyer. The PLU codes have to be hand typed into the cash register. It's possible you might get 60 + 60.

I used to have BOGO, B1G$1 & B1G$2 coupons for the Old Spice but used them all up. If I have any devent Olay coupons I might try this just to see if you can get the 120. If so it might be a food banker.

The Colgate Toothpaste

My dentist's office gave me a stack of $1.50 coupons on Friday. Managed to get 50AMs (less the HST) on Friday as the Colgate regular (B4G10) was $1.50. All will be donated to the food bank with other items I've collected. This week's Colgate won't work.
    Thanks alot Bob, I have some of the PG brandsaver coups left so I can get a few AM's anyway. I need to get at least 100am's a week if at all possible. More if I can.
    I have 2 brandsaver coups. b2g$5 off and b3g$9 off so it would be nice if i can get 120AM's for $21.30 or so but I don't think thats possible because you can only use the PLU coupon once I think.
    UPDATE: Thanks for the tip Bob. Bought the 3 oil of Olay with the b3get$9 and the plu coupons for the Cheese b2g40, ended up with 102 airmiles enough for this week anyway.
    Last edited by eric53; Mon, Oct 11th, 2010 at 06:54 PM.
    Taking my wife out for dinner Friday night.
    We are going to
    Sam n' Ellas

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    586 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Poirot View Post
    Definitely call the head office Tuesday.
    I called Safeway this morning about a limit of one coupon per purchase. The lady who was on the phone with me was not sure what it means exactly. She put me on hold and talked with some of her co-workers and she said they think it is the same as per transaction. It is up to the person who is working at safeway at that time to limit it if they think it is nesesary. I also asked for their coupon policy, she said that the policy for manufacturer coupons is flexible because they can not know all of the different kinds and it would be up to the store manager to make a decision.

It seems like every stores I have coupon issue with, they all said it is up to the store.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I called Safeway this morning about a limit of one coupon per purchase. The lady who was on the phone with me was not sure what it means exactly. She put me on hold and talked with some of her co-workers and she said they think it is the same as per transaction. It is up to the person who is working at safeway at that time to limit it if they think it is nesesary. I also asked for their coupon policy, she said that the policy for manufacturer coupons is flexible because they can not know all of the different kinds and it would be up to the store manager to make a decision.

It seems like every stores I have coupon issue with, they all said it is up to the store.
    That's horrible we're at the mercy of the coupon hating cashiers at all the stores.Don't they know we the customers keep them in their job.
    Last edited by Poirot; Fri, Oct 15th, 2010 at 09:06 PM.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Ran the 3 Olay Body Wash today.

No extra 60 AMs beyond the 60 shown on the shelves.

$19.12 - $9 coupon = $10.12 + 60 AMs (approx. value $8.40) = $1.72/3 = $0.57 each after tax.

Not too bad. As I'm using the AMs towards a cruise @ $0.185/AM the approx. value is $11.10

So it's $10.12 -$11.10 = profit $0.98 or $0.33/bottle and I still have the product.

Every little bit helps.
    OB

Who Says Men Can't Shop!

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

Bob, you're making my little tax-accounting heart go pitter patter, lol.

Minor correction though ... I believe it's 15% of the first $200, and 29% of donations over $200, up to a maximum of 75% of your income (not that most people need to worry about hitting the ceiling!).

Not too sure, however, about getting the credit back even if you haven't paid any taxes. The function of a tax credit is to directly reduce the balance of taxes you owe in a year ... I can't imagine that the gov't would be excited to give you a credit for money that you didn't pay to them in the first place. But in a year where you have paid no taxes to be able to claim the credit, you can most definitely save the receipts to claim in a future year (up to 5 yrs, as you stated). I'm sure that people have tried this and succeeded, however I don't think it's worth the risk when considering the penalties that could be incurred if someone was audited and this was uncovered.

If people don't NEED to use the credit in a current year, it's definintely worth saving the receipts to make a larger claim in a future year.

And on a side note, I LOVE this thread. It's one of the few that I faithfully follow, and I thank you for the work you do to put the numbers together each week. After a long day at work, I'm rarely excited about crunching more numbers!

Then I would have said,"Ring them through individually." ;-)

Charitable tax donations reduce your taxable income 26% on the first $200 (or is it 29%?) and 42% on anything over $200.

You can save the tax receipts for up to 5 years.

So, if you donate $1,000 in year 1 you get a refundable tax credit for .26 x $200 = $52 plus .42 x $800 = $336 for a total of $382 or 38.2%.
    This is claimed on your T1 tax form. Doesn't matter if you pay no taxes you still get the $382 back.

If you don't claim it in year 1 and contribute another $1,000 in year 2 you can claim both at the same time. You get $382 for year 1 but a full $420 for year 2 as the "first $200" counts for both years.

You can save receipts for up to 5 years so you'd get $382 + $420 + $420 + $420 + $420 + $420 if you did.

I donate at least $1000 worth every year and figure with the tax refund I'm ahead by over $500 at least.

My food bank does give a receipt if I can give them the original Safeway receipt. Check to see if there are other organizations in you area that can do this for you: churches, animal shelters, etc.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

You would think Safeway would have a blanket coupon policy to cover all stores.
    Last edited by eric53; Tue, Oct 12th, 2010 at 10:24 PM.
    Taking my wife out for dinner Friday night.
    We are going to
    Sam n' Ellas

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

kan,

Thanks,

And as an editor at largest financial magazine in the country (or one of them) ( http://www.canadianmoneysaver.ca )and as a graduate of H&R Block's tax course (10 years ago) I shgould have remembered that. LOL!!!!!!!!

http://www.hrblock.ca/resources/donations.asp

I gather I was thinking tax levels combined Federal & Provincial.

Hey, I'm still ahead. ;-)

And I guess I'm mixing up "refundable" and "non-refundable" tax credits.
    OB

Who Says Men Can't Shop!

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

It's never a bad thing to know how to best use the tax system! SC is a great place to share information and help each other make the best of our financial situations. And it's always nice to stumble upon another financial/tax geek

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

P.1 is now updated.

Best deal of the week is Olay Body Wash/Soap if you have any B3G$9 or B2G$5 coupons left.
    OB

Who Says Men Can't Shop!

Thread Information