User Tag List

Page 351 of 966 FirstFirst ... 251 301 341 349 350 351 352 353 361 401 451 851 ... LastLast
Results 5,251 to 5,265 of 14482
Like Tree18432Likes

Thread: Safeway's Sweet AirMiles Deals

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by operabob View Post
    I'm guessing no based on past practices (and the coupon says groceries whatever that means) but the coupon doesn't exclude GCs specifically so who knows?
    I tried this afternoon and it doesn't work. The cashier put in the coupon code with a $50 GC and the price didn't change. it was worth a shot though
    operabob and 4sure5 like this.
    orange

Ewbie-Wan CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    I tried this afternoon and it doesn't work. The cashier put in the coupon code with a $50 GC and the price didn't change. it was worth a shot though
    Thanks for passing along the info, orange.
    operabob likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks again Bob for the work you do on this thread saving us money.
    The $10 off coupon was a game changer so I went and spent $50 and used some other coupons. I did the old el paso deal for 30 airmiles and got the ground beef coupons.
    operabob likes this.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

The deal on the Boston Pizza GCs is better than the one last week. Still not as good as past offers but I'll probably buy it as I've also signed up for the BP newsletter and they always send a birthday gift. Last year it was a spaghetti dinner or desert. So I'll be stretching that penny even further.
    OB

Who Says Men Can't Shop!

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

OB

Who Says Men Can't Shop!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    209 (100%)

I'm a newb to AM...is that calculations at the beginning of this very very very long thread still acurate?

I want to get started but I'm finding it really daunting with the amount of info here! Good work to keep it running since 2007....holy mackerel!

Do most of you use AM's for other giftcards (i'd heard you can get $10 off groceries/gas?? with 90 Ams?)

thanks you AM fiends!
    J

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

I don't know how far back you're looking.

About a year ago AirMiles revalued all GCs to $0.105/AM.

At the same time they eliminated many GCs as it appears they are trying to force people to use AMs at Shell.

Flights often have a value much higher than $0.105/AM.

So I'd say just read the more recent posts and you'll catch on pretty quick.
    Last edited by operabob; Sat, Sep 15th, 2012 at 12:55 PM.
    OB

Who Says Men Can't Shop!

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

jezz,

I think I get what you're after now.

While page 1 is 5 or 6 years old now I've adjusted the figures in the first post to reflect current valuations.

When I started the thread an AM =$0.139

Currently it's $0.105

These figures refer to the average of all GCs or Gift Certificates at AirMiles. The figure is fairly representative of physical goods too but you have to look at those items individually and cross reference to the same items on store shelves to determine if they are worth buying. Specials on these items at the AirMiles website will boost the value of the AMs.

I use the $0.105 as a starting point as Gift Cards or Shell purchases are equivalent to real cash.
    jezz likes this.
    OB

Who Says Men Can't Shop!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by jezz View Post
    I'm a newb to AM...is that calculations at the beginning of this very very very long thread still acurate?

I want to get started but I'm finding it really daunting with the amount of info here! Good work to keep it running since 2007....holy mackerel!

Do most of you use AM's for other giftcards (i'd heard you can get $10 off groceries/gas?? with 90 Ams?)

thanks you AM fiends!
    J
    I use my airmiles for flights. I recently booked us a return ticket in low season (uses less airmiles) I also have the bmo airmiles gold mastercard (which gives 25% discount on flights, plus 1 airmile per $15).
    I compared the price to buy the flights on the westjet website. I subtracted my airmiles "fees" and it worked out to approx 27 cents per airmile. of course there are a lot of different variables ie. sales, more layovers for cheaper flight etc., but this is a good example how it is much better to your advantage to use airmiles for flights instead of the airmiles cash.
    Last edited by Tommycoupons; Sat, Sep 15th, 2012 at 05:53 PM.
    operabob likes this.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

I use my airmiles for flights. I recently booked us a return ticket in low season (uses less airmiles) I also have the bmo airmiles gold mastercard (which gives 25% discount on flights, plus 1 airmile per $15).
    I compared the price to buy the flights on the westjet website. I subtracted my airmiles "fees" and it worked out to approx 27 cents per airmile. of course there are a lot of different variables ie. sales, more layovers for cheaper flight etc., but this is a good example how it is much better to your advantage to use airmiles for flights instead of the airmiles cash.
    Jezz

To add to what Tommy says, I recently scoped out a return flight from San Fransisco as I was considering a short Coastal cruise out of Vancouver. In this case when I compared it to the lowest price available from the Airline on it's own site I got $0.37/AM with the BMO Card.

I also boost AM values by staying at Best Western when traveling on business by purchasing BW GCs with personal AMs from AirMiles. Strictly speaking they clock in at $0.105/AM but I get cash receipts using the GCs (instead of using AMs to directly book rooms). The cash receipt is a business expense so I recover about 25% of the cost in taxes. (As I'm using personal AMs to buy the GCs my accountant says this is legit). Also, I'm registered in BW's rewards program, which is pretty generous, so I'm double dipping because the GCs count as cash (vs. using AM points to purchase a room). Add to that twice a year BW has a Stay 3 nights Get a Free Night offer. Around Christmas they also offer a $20 bonus if you buy $100 GCs from them directly if you're an Elite member ($10 if not). All told I'm probably getting over $0.20/AM value at Best Western.
    OB

Who Says Men Can't Shop!

Trading Score
    193 (100%)

So far I have used our airmiles to fly to San Franscisco for hubby and me and to pay almost half of our hotel fees at the Best Western there. It made it very affordable. Took us about 14 years to collect those AM's. LOL. Now that I have been on Smart Canucks a couple of years now. I am so much smarter. Still not super awesome like others on this site but holding my own. I average about 500 miles a month. Right now I am using them to buy Best Western GC's for Disneyland. We are hoping to go for 3 weeks. So this is my way to contribute as a stay at home Mom.
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/PinkSapphire. Click to get FREE Giftcards just for searching the web. It is so easy.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

Just a quick question is the $50 based on grocery value or OOP? If i buy $60 worth of groceries but only spend $20 can i still use the $10 GC? Has anyone tried this yet?

Savingyourhardearnedmoney
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by HD00141 View Post
    Just a quick question is the $50 based on grocery value or OOP? If i buy $60 worth of groceries but only spend $20 can i still use the $10 GC? Has anyone tried this yet?
    I am wondering the same thing.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

The GC should be equivalent to cash.
    OB

Who Says Men Can't Shop!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I recently booked a trip using a combination of Airmiles and my capital one points and it am very pleased with how it turned out.

Back in Dec/Jan when Airmiles was changing the program I bailed and cashed all of my Airmiles in for Shell gas coupons, about $3000 worth. Everytime I bought fuel I put the money in a separate bank account. I realize that I lost value in the Airmiles but in this instance it has worked out really well.

We decided last week to book an all inclusive trip to St. Lucia during March break., which after Christmas and New Years, the most expensive time to go. Because I work in a school we are always having to travel in peak seasons. So the total for the three of us was $5700. I used the $3000 from Airmiles and $1300 from capital one, leaving us out of pocket only $1400. I don’t normally like all inclusives, but this time it was better for us. I got the date I wanted and the airline I wanted during peak season. To me, the flexibility I gained by doing it this way was worth losing the value in the Airmiles. I dislike how Airmiles cash has decreased the value of the Airmiles, but I’m going to go with it, and keep doing this. In a couple of years we’ll get another really cheap trip!

Thread Information