User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: baby finches leave nest

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    ty @flemeth , it's official...I am certifiably crazy! Just made this Birthday Cake for Frankie. Rolled a piece of banana in bird seed! I'll wait for DH to wake up and see it before I remove the sign and stick it in the cage.

Attachment 374966
    @walkonby you are not crazy just a good bird mother
    cath007 likes this.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

@walkonby : it is a lovely cake
    walkonby likes this.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

On Canada Day, DH took Frankie out front to sit on a brick along the front walkway....he looked so full of himself!

Name:  Frankie outside.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  113.5 KB

( now @Skippy , I KNOW your sense of humour by now so don't go insinuating I think DH looked full of himself. I meant Frankie did ..... )
    Skippy and cath007 like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    65 (100%)

@walkonby Frankie looks so cute
    cath007 likes this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Just before Frankie's bedtime DH took him out to his favourite spot on the patio walkway. He struts and sort of presents himself as if he's boss of the area. Of course I just had to snap a couple more pics.

Name:  Frankie is Flawless.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  60.0 KB

Name:  The Boss.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  96.7 KB
    Tweets77, JadeAngel and cath007 like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

The family of Mourning Doves were active this morning. I heard that distinctive " cooing " that they do as I sat here tapping away.
    I go out to find one of the babies has ventured out of the safety of the nest to perch on a branch, while his/her sibling preferred to stay put.
    Mom otoh was now many yards away on our porch railing. I wonder if her cooing was her way of telling them to fly to her?

Stay tuned!

Name:  Mourning Dove Baby number one.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  63.6 KB

Name:  Mourning Dove baby number two.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  114.3 KB

Name:  Mama Mourning Dove calling her babies.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  54.4 KB
    Tweets77, JadeAngel and cath007 like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Well that didn't take long. Both Mama and the one baby have flown away, leaving the last baby in the nest to figure it out. The first baby flew from the tree branch that he was on to our fence, then took off shortly after that.

Name:  Baby number 1 flew to fence.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  205.4 KB

Name:  Baby number 2 still in nest.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  249.4 KB
    Tweets77 and cath007 like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Final update.....sniff, sniff. The 2nd baby finally left the nest but it was our cat Claudius who alerted me as he pestered and meowed non stop to go out.
    The minute I opened the door he pounced towards ( but DID NOT harm or catch ) the wee thing hiding in among the brush. It was so freaking cute!! A little smaller than his sibling. I wanted to get a closer look but scared it and it flew up perching onto Frankie's little spot where he sometimes sits.
    I stuck Mr. bird hunter back inside and grabbed the camera, glad I snapped these last photos because I just checked outside now and the nest is empty and none of them are around.
    This was fun.

Name:  2nd baby exploring.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  87.6 KB

Name:  2nd baby left the nest.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  107.1 KB

Name:  2nd baby making choices.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  66.3 KB
    Tweets77 and cath007 like this.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

@walkonby : beautifull pictures of the guest birds and of Frankie too!!!
    walkonby likes this.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cath007 View Post
    @walkonby : beautifull pictures of the guest birds and of Frankie too!!!
    thank you @cath007

I cannot believe our good fortune! Turns out the Mama bird knows very well that her 2 new babies are kind of helpless waddling around on the grass and not good fliers yet, but according to Google she is doing what they all do.......calls out to let them to alert them that she is nearby, then swoops down and feeds them!
    So, they didn't leave here after all. Instead they did what they are supposed to do, stay hidden from predators ( MY 2 cats! lol ) until their Mama comes around for regular feedings.
    I JUST missed snapping a pic of her on the deck with the 2 of them getting fed.
    SO DAMN CUTE!!!
    Last edited by walkonby; Tue, Aug 2nd, 2022 at 04:04 AM.
    cath007 likes this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

The story goes a cat has 9 lives but imho Frankie is sure trying to enter the arena of close calls!! We went out around 2 p.m. but just before leaving DH gave Frankie a nice fresh batch of meal-worms. We never got back home till well after 4 as Dollarama, GT and Highland Farms were on the list of stores to hit.
    Back home as we're putting the things away DH exclaims " Frankie's cage is wide open!! " Oh S-H-I-T ....we immediately begin looking here and there, under things....then I look at Hamlet...hmmm, does he look guilty or is he just expressing regular cat expressions?

I thought the worst and started asking him " did you kill Frankie? did you eat him?! " as if he can tell me. DH headed up the stairs because whenever he has the cage open and plays with Frankie, the bird always hops out of the cage and sort of half flies over to DH on the carpeted steps.

As DH was up there I caught a glimpse of Frankie IN THE CAGE!! He was sitting quite smugly on one of his cuttlebones. The fretting was over. DH took the blame, as he had inadvertently left the sliding door of Frankie's cage in the up position after laying the small dish of worms in there.

We shall call Frankie " Lucky " for a day or two. I was almost in tears at the thought of the 2 cats playing toss the bird around while we shopped. Guess I owe Hamlet an apology.
    Last edited by walkonby; Sun, Nov 27th, 2022 at 07:29 PM.
    Skippy, JadeAngel and cath007 like this.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

The story goes a cat has 9 lives but imho Frankie is sure trying to enter the arena of close calls!! We went out around 2 p.m. but just before leaving DH gave Frankie a nice fresh batch of meal-worms. We never got back home till well after 4 as Dollarama, GT and Highland Farms were on the list of stores to hit.
    Back home as we're putting the things away DH exclaims " Frankie's cage is wide open!! " Oh S-H-I-T ....we immediately begin looking here and there, under things....then I look at Hamlet...hmmm, does he look guilty or is he just expressing regular cat expressions?

I thought the worst and started asking him " did you kill Frankie? did you eat him?! " as if he can tell me. DH headed up the stairs because whenever he has the cage open and plays with Frankie, the bird always hops out of the cage and sort of half flies over to DH on the carpeted steps.

As DH was up there I caught a glimpse of Frankie IN THE CAGE!! He was sitting quite smugly on one of his cuttlebones. The fretting was over. DH took the blame, as he had inadvertently left the sliding door of Frankie's cage in the up position after laying the small dish of worms in there.

We shall call Frankie " Lucky " for a day or two. I was almost in tears at the thought of the 2 cats playing toss the bird around while we shopped. Guess I owe Hamlet an apology.
    Glad to see that Frankie, kitties and DH all lived to see another day!
    walkonby and cath007 like this.
    Always remember the What are you thankful for today? thread as there always is something to be thankful for.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Name:  get my good side.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  26.8 KB

Name:  Frankie DeNiro.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  36.4 KB

It's been a while since I have tried to snap a close up of Frankie and today I discover he STILL freaks out the minute I turn the camera on. He flits and half flies all around the cage like he's trying to escape from zombies or something. It's a simple digital camera, not a phone with a camera. I keep the flash off thinking maybe the flash upsets him. Nope, he's just still a weirdo!
    OUR weirdo though....love ya Frankie you little anomaly.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Name:  get my good side.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  26.8 KB

Name:  Frankie DeNiro.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  36.4 KB

It's been a while since I have tried to snap a close up of Frankie and today I discover he STILL freaks out the minute I turn the camera on. He flits and half flies all around the cage like he's trying to escape from zombies or something. It's a simple digital camera, not a phone with a camera. I keep the flash off thinking maybe the flash upsets him. Nope, he's just still a weirdo!
    OUR weirdo though....love ya Frankie you little anomaly.
    We all love our Frankie Feathers! Perhaps the lad is camera shy!
    walkonby likes this.
    Always remember the What are you thankful for today? thread as there always is something to be thankful for.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

@Skippy IF by camera shy you mean Frankie is a Class A Jerk, then yes he's camera shy. lol. Drives me bananas because I don't want to stress his little heart just for a photo.
    I accept that I am probably the equivalent of the paparazzi to him!!
    Skippy likes this.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information