User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

....middle of the night diaper changes that is!

Anyone have tips on how to change an infant without waking him/her?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Wipe warmer! I swear by mine. Nothing says "wake up baby" like a cold wipe on the touchie!! I used to have a heated change pad too, but it broke. My friend just uses an electric blanket.

Also, no talking...just get the deed done no mess, no fuss.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Or if you don't want to spend the money on a wipe warmer, tuck it in your bra for a few minutes before you use it!

Trading Score
    76 (100%)

i didn't change ds at night unless he woke up first or i had to wake him up for a feeding (for the first 2 or 3 months until the nurse said it was ok to let him sleep at night without needing fed every 3 hours). i plan on doing the same for ds#2. no point in changing a diaper if they are sound asleep. unless of course they have a rash and you want to get it healed up.
    Intergalactic Proton Powered Electrical Tentacled Advertising Droids!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    114 (100%)

don't change unless poopy and use a warm wipe. I use washcloths, so I would just run it under warm water.

Trading Score
    56 (100%)

I'm with the others, I personally never changed their diaper in the night, unless they had a poop or they had peed themselves. If that happened, I'd just be as gentle and as quick as I could, they usually would wake up and cry a bit but went back down quite easily (I might have just been fortunate though lol)

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Agree with everyone, plus my DD has PJ's that is kinda like a nightgown...with an elastic bottom, so changing get done in a snap, no annoying little snap to open and close!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by vibrantflame View Post
    I'm with the others, I personally never changed their diaper in the night, unless they had a poop or they had peed themselves. If that happened, I'd just be as gentle and as quick as I could, they usually would wake up and cry a bit but went back down quite easily (I might have just been fortunate though lol)
    Come to think of it, that was us too. We didn't change a wet diaper unless it was leaky, and he never did poop at night.

Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Thanks everyone! I'll look for easier pajamas and a wipe warmer. I've been avoiding the diaper changes too but I feel guilty about it. And sometimes, she wakes up repeatedly, probably because of the wet diaper so I do have change it...all the while I'm desperately hoping she'll fall asleep again... the worst is when she starts playing and babbling in the middle of the night!

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Ahhh, I remember those days. If my baby woke up I would nurse him/her, then change the diaper if it was wet/soiled. If the diaper wasnt dirty, I'd leave it alone. But I slept with the baby so even if he/she woke up during the diaper change, I'd just nurse again, burp the bebe and snuggle him/her until we both fell asleep.

I miss those days. :'(
    The average dog
    is nicer
    than the average person.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Boy, times have changed; babies are sure pampered these days! A wipe warmer? No way! I changed them as quick as possible and since I nursed, they quickly got back to sleep. Now that I think about it, I got DH up to do a lot of those late night changes! (insert evil cackle here)

I also didn't tip toe around when they were infants...makes for really sound sleepers!

Trading Score
    50 (100%)

I don't change her bum at night unless she poops. Don't want to disturb her for nothing When I do have to change it, I just nurse her back to sleep.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by robin1234s View Post
    Thanks everyone! I'll look for easier pajamas and a wipe warmer. I've been avoiding the diaper changes too but I feel guilty about it. And sometimes, she wakes up repeatedly, probably because of the wet diaper so I do have change it...all the while I'm desperately hoping she'll fall asleep again... the worst is when she starts playing and babbling in the middle of the night!
    Don't feel bad! Diapers are meant to absorb! I rarely changed them unless they were stinky or so wet they were going to leak through. #2 I changed more often though. She would have barfed all over herself and need changing anyways, so I usually did the diaper too (she was a prolific barfer! )

Resist the urge to talk and engage when she starts babbling and playing. Avoid eye contact. Keep it strictly business. Get the deed done and get 'em back to sleep.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    83 (100%)

I never change DS at night. He has his bath around 8:30 and we put on one of the Huggies Overnights diapers on him and he's good until 6 or 7 when he gets up for the day. He only seems to poop during the day after he's eaten, so that's not an issue for us.

Make sure if you are going to change her during the night you put her in a sleeper that is easy to get open. The zippered ones are not very practical. Don't make eye contact and don't play or talk to her. You might also want to get a night light or something you can use to see with that isn't bright enough to keep her awake. I used to just have a flashlight lantern on the dresser but now we've got a fake light up aquarium that works great.

Trading Score
    44 (100%)

I never changed in the middle of the night unless they woke up screaming and were either leaky or stinky. My kids luckily both go back to bed easily after waking. In the middle of the night I used a lamp, didn't talk to them, and would change the diaper first if need be and then feed. And we always made sure they got used to background noise (talking, radio, TV, etc) so they can sleep through anything...I always laughed when people refused to ring the doorbell or would whisper around the kids. I don't agree with using a wipe warmer...my husband swears they will turn your kid into a sissy that will complain about the sprinkler being too cold, lol. I warmed my daughter's towel a few times recently after a bath (since I had a load sitting in the dryer that needed to be folded anyways) and last night she asked for one and was sad when we said she had to use a "regular" one, lol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information