Like Tree99Likes

Thread: clever or sly?

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Your kittie is really cute!

Trading Score
    282 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ***Kimura*** View Post
    Congratulations, you just abused a coupon. Obviously its bad.
    I don't think she abused the coupon...she used the coupon on the right product. However she did abuse there Price match policy!
    But to each there own.... certainly not the first time and definitely not the last
    Peachykeen2007 likes this.

Trading Score
    153 (100%)

Like others have said, she didn't abuse the coupon.
    But when there is NO SPECIFIC SIZE when price matching (not JUST talking about the vim or palmolive, but about anything item in general) stores shouldn't assume it would be on the SMALLEST size. And, are they suppose to automatically know exactly what the smallest size is for each product? no. Are they going to stop everything and make a phone call to the store you are price matching, or to hold up the line and go check it out on the shelf? no. What SHOULD stores do at this point, if the size is NOT indicated in the flyer (whether a customer checks it out ahead of time or not and whether that store takes the customers word on what size it should be or not)? Obviously its the manager's choice whether they will allow it or not. Same thing with the rexall "coupons" that says x amount off. Some will price match and some won't, even though its NOT in their policy. Her store allowed it. They want to keep her as a customer, and not have her go to canadian tire or anywhere else to buy the items.
    so, i say:
    CONGRATS ON YOUR GREAT DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    YOUR STORE ALLOWED IT!

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Whether this was "clever" or "sly", only the person who utilized this coupon this way knows for sure. Maybe she was trying to get clarification on here.

As for "haters", I don't believe they are haters; it is just that so many people have tried to "screw" the system in the past, and companies eventually do catch on to everyone of the incorrect ways of the way some people use coupons and then they tighten their rules. So if it appears that people are hating this or that, it is not hating; it is just dreading the fact that in months to come, we will see more restrictions if this was not done legitimately. If on the other hand it was done in a legit manner, then no one needs to worry.

As I think Millie stated on here, if you don't want to be taken to task, probably best not to brag your "great deal(s)" on here. Chalk it up to a good day and continue on with your day. To do otherwise usually carries the risk of someone throwing shots at you.

And as another person said on here also, if you listen to your "voice", you will know whether it's right or wrong. That "voice" is called "integrity".

As for me, my observation of this posting is that if the person truly thought they did the right thing, then they can go to sleep with a clean conscience.
    Last edited by shirl57; Thu, Apr 12th, 2012 at 08:53 AM.

Trading Score
    513 (100%)

No one is saying you are dishonest however you asked the question "good or bad" - you should have known full well that in order to price match it has to be the exact item in the flyer, seeing as how the CT flyer didn't state a size Walmart shouldn't have let you price match because it could have been the smaller size at Walmart.

It is not your fault Walmart let you price match - you didn't abuse the coupon as you bought the correct size just not for the correct price!

Quote Originally Posted by stefaniea17 View Post
    i am not a dishonest person. i do try to follow all the rules. even in the flyer of canadian tire, some of the items had sizes and some did not. im not even sure if the ones at CT were big or small. i just bought the bigger ones at walmart cuz i new i could use the coupon. i wasnt going to stop at canadian tire to check to make sure. would you?
    Last edited by Peachykeen2007; Thu, Apr 12th, 2012 at 10:15 AM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    43 (100%)

It may be sly of Canadian Tire to mess with their price matching competition a little.
    I think if the flyer didn't specify a size, then the store should honour any size.
    PurpleBunny89 likes this.
    The best things in life...aren't things

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SharonMe View Post
    It may be sly of Canadian Tire to mess with their price matching competition a little.
    I think if the flyer didn't specify a size, then the store should honour any size.
    Did it ever occur to anyone that perhaps flyers weren't meant to be taken to a competitor's to use as a PM? And that it might be on purpose that the size isn't shown or listed? Some people are making the assumption that you can take any flyer, and as long as they have the picture and price, it can be used for PM'ing. Not me, when I look through the flyers, I always check for sizes, because I know that where I shop, they will too.

A comment about the brags: if they are done right, I'd say 99% of people will cheer you on. Post obscene amounts of product, misuse coupons, gloat over cashier errors...yeah, that'll get you some flak. Some people have a thing called a conscience, afterall. And no, we are not jealous.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I love your kitty. Now for everyone else i have a question... if a store offers a item on sale and doesn't specify a price is it ok to price match at all? We don't know the size for certain... Crest toothpaste was on sale for $1.77 for their premium toothpaste at RCSS this week, If i went to walmart i certainly would have pm'd with a coupon match up to get the toothpaste for .77 cents. When it said a premium crest toothpaste it leaves it open to interpretation. To a degree this will always happen with pming products. Really i think it is bad biz to not state a item size. Unless it starts some price war where we all get stuff for cheap... then it might be ok... bawahahaha!

Please remember if this was a pming error it was walmarts as well... I do price match at walmart instead of going to several stores... it is faster and it saves me gas and physical pain on my bad days. They also get most of my biz and that is the whole purpose behind their price match policy. If i know a item is a smaller size would i choose to price match?... probably not... would i go out of my way to go to the store and spend the gas money to check?... not a chance would i spend $5 in gas to save $3! i would go straight to walmart and get it all in one stop. I would hazard a guess that most of us have price matched a item and found out it was somewhat of a mistake at some point. Miss prints, items not addressing size or quantity or limits ect. In many cases i think it could be our own guilt talking.

I once price matched dove soap at walmart... it was a 10 pack for $1 at sobeys and i didn't run to sobeys to check and see if it was a misprint. It was last spring... and it was not a misprint that i know of still to this date. I was busing to walmart because my car was broken. I had to pick one store so i went with flyers in hand and price matched my arse off! There was a chance that anything i pm'd could have been a error... and i didn't phone the stores to check once... if we all called to double check the stores would be very upset and tell us to come in and see. To a extent flaws will always exist in price matching and couponing.

Now knowing that many of us have made mistakes and pm'd items that were misprints and such... how many of us have taken those items back?.... did you start going after those that didn't?... it is exactly the same thing... on this one i am going to take a step back from the judgment table and say wow... what a beautiful kitty you have.
    Judyhill and sharkie like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by cheekysaver View Post
    I love your kitty. Now for everyone else i have a question... if a store offers a item on sale and doesn't specify a price is it ok to price match at all? We don't know the size for certain... Crest toothpaste was on sale for $1.77 for their premium toothpaste at RCSS this week, If i went to walmart i certainly would have pm'd with a coupon match up to get the toothpaste for .77 cents. When it said a premium crest toothpaste it leaves it open to interpretation. To a degree this will always happen with pming products. Really i think it is bad biz to not state a item size. Unless it starts some price war where we all get stuff for cheap... then it might be ok... bawahahaha!

Please remember if this was a pming error it was walmarts as well... I do price match at walmart instead of going to several stores... it is faster and it saves me gas and physical pain on my bad days. They also get most of my biz and that is the whole purpose behind their price match policy. If i know a item is a smaller size would i choose to price match?... probably not... would i go out of my way to go to the store and spend the gas money to check?... not a chance would i spend $5 in gas to save $3! i would go straight to walmart and get it all in one stop. I would hazard a guess that most of us have price matched a item and found out it was somewhat of a mistake at some point. Miss prints, items not addressing size or quantity or limits ect. In many cases i think it could be our own guilt talking.

I once price matched dove soap at walmart... it was a 10 pack for $1 at sobeys and i didn't run to sobeys to check and see if it was a misprint. It was last spring... and it was not a misprint that i know of still to this date. I was busing to walmart because my car was broken. I had to pick one store so i went with flyers in hand and price matched my arse off! There was a chance that anything i pm'd could have been a error... and i didn't phone the stores to check once... if we all called to double check the stores would be very upset and tell us to come in and see. To a extent flaws will always exist in price matching and couponing.

Now knowing that many of us have made mistakes and pm'd items that were misprints and such... how many of us have taken those items back?.... did you start going after those that didn't?... it is exactly the same thing... on this one i am going to take a step back from the judgment table and say wow... what a beautiful kitty you have.
    thanks! her name is Rasta and she is a rascal. always getting into trouble. thats our kitchen table shes on.. little brat!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

One thing that many people don't seem to remember about price-matching is that most retailers will PM the exact item IF the other store has the item in stock. I often see people talking about how Store A was out of stock, so they took the flyer to Store B to price match. I think that retail has become so aggressive these days that many stores don't check on stock at the other store but I very clearly remember the days when they would actually phone before they agreed to match.

Just posting this as an interesting bit of information to add to the discussion.
    Peachykeen2007 likes this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Dianne S, yes I remember those days, where we'd have to wait until they'd call the original store to confirm if still in stock. I still have it happen but only occasionally nowadays. Most times, they just honour the flyer. But I'm OK with it either way, and like some on here, I like to go to my local strip mall, WM, Sobeyes, Staples, etc in the same mall, so I save myself a trip vs having to run around the city trying to get a deal while burning more gas to save so at the end it would be actually fruitless.

addismom
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Mesta well said!! I get really tired of how nasty people can get to others on the site. She came on asking the question, obviously an honest person. So if the Canadian Tire didnt have any in stock,which is typical where I live, they never have the specials, and since it specifys the specific type of soap, but only mentions not trial size or somethg like that, or at least I thght someone said that. Anyways, I see nothing wrong with price matching. I typically call the store ahead to see if they have any in stock and Canadian Tire typically doesnt, so from there I take the flyer and straight to customer service to ask if they will accept it, and if there is any specific details?? Keep in mind I NEVER Price Match!! I dont feel comfortable doing it, or cant be bothered..Being the flyer and the coupon identifies the specific type of dish soap, and again no size mentioned, and probally only size Walmart had, I do not thk she is in the wrong at all!! Canadian Tire should be more specific in their sizes, and carry more stock!! I wont consider price matching anywhere else if they have the product. I went for the sandwich bags last week, they had none, big suprise, I was unable to find the exact product and size at another store near me so I missed out on them, as my coupons expired. I wish they would get in a more realistic number in or place limits on them per person.. Everyone instead of bashing all our members who are here to help eachother and learn from eachother, how about making a comment that comes across not so damn rude and offensive. Im offended that people spoke to this person like this.. We can all learn from experiences.. Plus her transaction will not wreck the coupon world!! I say wtg!!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by slayer_glade View Post
    Geez, I hope you didn't cause the cashier that let this happen a write-up. A person can get into some serious trouble for this Big mistake on both parts.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with posting legit brags. People only "pick apart" brags that are obviously immoral. As long as you're acting like a responsible human being, post all the brags you want. I like reading them.
    Yeah but who is going to judge whether I have the "right amount" and if I am being responsible? Am I allowed 10 bottles or may I have 20? I have 8 years worth of Quantum-stacked legitimately at LD- in my stockpile that will never go bad. (BTW, preordered-didn't clear shelves) Isn't that awesome?!? BUT, can you imagine if I posted THAT picture. Some people on here would freak out! So like others, I will just continue to read other brags and look at other stockpile pics and wish that I could truly share my joy of couponing.
    wolfwoman likes this.

Trading Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tryingtobesmarter View Post
    Yeah but who is going to judge whether I have the "right amount" and if I am being responsible? Am I allowed 10 bottles or may I have 20? I have 8 years worth of Quantum-stacked legitimately at LD- in my stockpile that will never go bad. (BTW, preordered-didn't clear shelves) Isn't that awesome?!? BUT, can you imagine if I posted THAT picture. Some people on here would freak out! So like others, I will just continue to read other brags and look at other stockpile pics and wish that I could truly share my joy of couponing.
    8 years of Quantum is just freaking awesome! That stuff will just increase in value over time - better than a bank deposit. Good job
    wolfwoman likes this.
    Check out my InnovativePassiveIncome.com blog and learn about making money online. or see this collection of 4 best coupon organizing system videos.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tryingtobesmarter View Post
    Well said! shirl57 also had it right when she said don't post your brag if you can't handle people picking it apart. I posted my brag once and thought I would never heard the end of it. Thanks goodness, there are some great SCer's that came to my defense. But since then I have never posted my brags and never will. It's a chance you take when posting brags.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information