User Tag List

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I just heard about this today and I'm thinking maybe I should cash in my HBC points. I guess they won't be totally useless though if they can still be used at the Bay. I've had mostly good experiences with Zellers. Their rewards program isn't amazing but there are a lot of bonus point offers. The SPC card makes a lot of their prices comparable with Walmart. I haven't combined price matching with coupons and the SPC card. But Zellers often has some pretty good sales to combine with coupons and SPC. I'm kind of a rewards program addict so I don't think I'll like Target as much.

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Heh if they keep the same management and workers it will be just as crappy. Yes theres some great employees work there now but sadly most just dont give two craps, Zellers is a messy, disorganized store.

Target in general isn't my favourite US store but they are always clean and organized. So thats a huge difference here.
    Last edited by Sally888; Wed, Jan 12th, 2011 at 09:57 PM.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

I love Target. It's always my number one place to go in the US for cute baby clothes! My only hope is that if it does come to Canada, it stays like the US stores with a lot of the baby lines.

Can't stand Zellers, in fact I avoid going in that store completely. It's nothing but a huge nasty mess in my area and they never have what is advertised.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Our Zellers here is a disaster!! I love Target and hope it comes to Canada!
    Hear that, Target?

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I feel really young hearing about everyone remembering when walmart came to canada. I don't remember It was just not there, and then it was! The walmart here used to be where zellers is now.

I can see this happening, to be honest. Zellers locations have really gone down the drain as an outstanding canadian chain, I was watching vintage commercials for it on youtube and noticed that a lot of the comments are saying "If I wanted no frills, I'd go to a no frills store! zellers sucks" etc.

The upkeep of the stores are far less than satisfactory most of the time, and I don't really see them lasting that much longer. If target is very anal about couponing, then I simply will not shop there, just like I avoid shopping at zellers now. I've never been to a target, but I can't imagine they'd ever be as bad as a zellers, so bring it on!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

Well there you go! I just saw on the news that they are in fact taking over Zellers in a $1.8B deal. They'll keep the stores operating until the Zellers banner but plan to open in 2013.

Glad to hear because the closest Zellers to me is an absolute dump. It's like going into a garage sale.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

On the CP24 news this morning....
    The U.S. cheap-chic discounter Target Corp. is snapping up most of Zellers stores in Canada from its Hudson’s Bay parent in a $1.8-billion deal announced on Thursday morning that promises to transform the domestic retail landscape.
    Target will open 100 to 150 stores in 2013 and 2014 and unload many of the rest of the outlets to other chains, including Wal-Mart.
    The complex deal, which involved negotiations with multiple retailers and landlords, will eventually see the Zellers name disappear from the Canadian retail field, sources said.

Ive heard rumors on this for a few years, but I guess its a done deal now.
    I will be spending all my HBC points now.

Just west of Kitchener/Cambridge, Ontario
    Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Amazing news!!!!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

It was just announced today...

http://www.vancouversun.com/Target+Z...623/story.html

Looks like the bullseye is moving north....

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

cut & pasted from CBC.ca ***

Target buying Zellers for $1.8B

A Target store in Wisconsin. The U.S. chain is buying Zellers for $1.8 billion. (Allen Fredrickson/Reuters) U.S. retailer Target said Thursday it is buying Canadian discount retail chain Zellers from Hudson's Bay Co. for $1.8 billion.

Under terms of the deal, Zellers locations will continue to exist under that brand name for "a period of time," HBC said in a release. But Target will open 100 to 150 Canadian locations in 2013 and 2014 and assign the rest of Zellers' current network of 220 stores to other retailers.

"This transaction provides attractive long-term value and will allow us to invest substantial capital into our department store and specialty store businesses to continue to drive growth," HBC governor Richard Baker said in a release.

The sale of these leasehold interests is estimated to create over 20,000 net new jobs in Canada and has the potential to generate over $1.5 billion in Canadian economic activity through the renovation of Zellers locations, the release said.
    Last edited by DiamondLil; Thu, Jan 13th, 2011 at 09:27 AM.
    The average dog
    is nicer
    than the average person.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Oops i guess i didnt realize there was a post already!

But im excited about this i love target
    Last edited by linguyen; Thu, Jan 13th, 2011 at 09:38 AM.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

i am excited just thinking about the clearance/ liquidation sales at zellers... those will be some good deals

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Its gonna be a mad dash to get those club Z points cashed out!
    The average dog
    is nicer
    than the average person.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

merged all similar threads on this topic

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Target has announced it has bought Zellers for $1.825 billion (CDN) from Hudson's Bay Company and will bring its stores to Canada in 2013.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information