User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Canada's Charter of Rights turns 30!

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

Today is the 30th anniversary of Canada's Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

On April 17, 1982, the Charter was signed into law in a ceremony with then-PM Pierre Trudeau and Queen Elizabeth. Since then, the Charter has played a central role in political and legal debates on our country, especially vis-a-vis our personal rights. As someone who studies criminology, I can tell you that it has had a massive impact on law in this country ever since, and according to CBC, makes us international trend-setters.http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...r-30-intl.html
    So, how does the charter impact you? For me, besides being a topic I've often in school, I am proud of the charter due to its strong stance in favour of human rights; heck, I can remember being a teenager and arguing with my Mom that being forced to come home before I wanted to was an infringement of my section 7 right to life, liberty and security (and the right not to be deprived thereof except in accordance with the principles of fundamental justice). (needless to say my teenage years were "fun" for my Mom!)
    Name:  hi-canadian-charter-of-rights-and-freedoms-852-8col.jpg
Views: 3741
Size:  27.1 KB
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Lynn49 likes this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Happy Birthday! My second favorite thing that Trudeau gave us (after Justin, that handsome SOB).
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

WAHOO! YAY!!!!!!!!

Now lekate, if I could double like your comment I would. Justin Trudeau. *swoon*

Also, I can't be the only one pissed that Harper refuses to acknowledge/recognize it can I? And his excuse for not recognizing it shows his true colours too. *grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr*

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Oh, my.....they just don't get any handsomer than him, do they????
    TaraF, lekate and iceblueraven like this.

Hmmmmm
    Trading Score
    63 (100%)

It was said on Canada AM that Harper refuses to celebrate this because Quebec was the only province that did not jump on the Charter bandwagon and he doesn't want to hurt Quebec's feelings. That is almost word for word what they said.

It's sad though, after a convo I had with my DH this morning, I realized that although I live within it, I know very little about our Charter. I don't recall it being taught in my school, or very little if it was.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    180 (100%)

My son had to take it to some degree in his civics class in grade 10. It still didn't get much coverage, though He was rather annoyed when I made him learn it.
    Raisin cookies that look like chocolate chip cookies are one of the main reasons I have trust issues.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I'm having to learn about it as part of my citizen ship stuff...

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TaraF View Post
    WAHOO! YAY!!!!!!!!

Now lekate, if I could double like your comment I would. Justin Trudeau. *swoon*

Also, I can't be the only one pissed that Harper refuses to acknowledge/recognize it can I? And his excuse for not recognizing it shows his true colours too. *grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr*
    I volunteered for a Liberal MP awhile ago and someone from his office called and I got all nervous... IT WASN'T EVEN HIM, it just said on the caller ID it was from his office. I can be pathetic sometimes.
    Lynn49 likes this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lekate View Post
    I volunteered for a Liberal MP awhile ago and someone from his office called and I got all nervous... IT WASN'T EVEN HIM, it just said on the caller ID it was from his office. I can be pathetic sometimes.
    LOL That's awesome! I have to call his office tomorrow and I'm as nervous as hell! Especially when they "prefer" you speak in french at his office. Um... yeah I could maybe muster a "Bonjour" but that's it haha

He is quite a speciman though. Wowsers.
    Last edited by TaraF; Tue, Apr 17th, 2012 at 10:13 PM.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

LOL That's awesome! I have to call his office tomorrow and I'm as nervous as hell! Especially when they "prefer" you speak in french at his office. Um... yeah I could maybe muster a "Bonjour" but that's it haha

Haha goodluck! I'm sure you'll just speak to an intern or the legislative aid!

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by AmberLab View Post
    It was said on Canada AM that Harper refuses to celebrate this because Quebec was the only province that did not jump on the Charter bandwagon and he doesn't want to hurt Quebec's feelings. That is almost word for word what they said.
    That's not the impression I have from living here for 12 years..Nearly everyone I know on both sides of the language divide are in favour of the Charter of Rights....
    glowworm2k likes this.

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

I taught about this in special classes for gifted students and I was also a part of a big celebration by the Federation of Women Teachers on that day - the actual day! - Yikes 30 years ago!
    Natalka likes this.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

He represents a Montreal riding though 8% cal them themselves Anglophone. the reast are equally Francophone or allophone

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by avoncallingu View Post
    I taught about this in special classes for gifted students and I was also a part of a big celebration by the Federation of Women Teachers on that day - the actual day! - Yikes 30 years ago!
    Yoou must have been a child prodigy...teaching at such a young age....
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lekate View Post
    Haha goodluck! I'm sure you'll just speak to an intern or the legislative aid!

Thanks. I'm hoping it's an aide because if it's him I'll be all like, "um, yeah hi, ah, so, yeah". I just know it! lol I did speak with Olivia Chow today though so I have "high hopes" I may get to speak to Mr. Trudeau himself! *swoon* Fan me now ladies!

In regards to Harpers displeasure over the Charter, it appears that many Conservatives hold the opinion that the Charter allows the courts too much freedom. Translation? We want to do what we want to and don't want the courts to interfere. You can read this article for more info on that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information