User Tag List

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hello to all the parents out there!
    I am looking for some advise regarding my toddler consistently being sick. It seems like she has had this nagging cough for months now and the doctors haven't really been able to tell us what it's from. She is only 17 months and they siad she is too young to test for asthma. She has only gone to daycare 1 day this week because she has been getting a fever on and off all day everyday. Her cough is getting worse so we have taken her to the hospital just to ensure she doesn't have pneumonia.

Have any of you dealt with similar situations? Your advise and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Kids get sick all the time, especially if they are in daycare. They are a breeding ground for illness. But fear not, the more they get sick now, the better. It beefs up their immune system for later in life. I am surprised they have not put your dd on a puffer yet. When we get a nagging cough, it is usually a post viral thing, and our doc gives us a puffer, which helps to clear it up. However, that being said, I am NOT a doctor, and do not know what your kids issue is, so don't go running out and asking for one based on what I say. Just know that with, or with out drugs, your kiddo will get better, it just sometimes takes more time depending on the bug.
    gone shopping!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks for the advise! I have been looking into when we can have her tested for asthma since it is in both sides of the family.

Trading Score
    66 (100%)

I found that when my DD was around teething age, she would get really bad post nasal drip that would cause her to cough, have a runny nose and a fever. I just took a rolled towel and placed it under the head of her crib mattress and it seemed to slow down the issue.
    Not saying this is what you are going through, but here in BC (Lower Mainland) there has been a record number of Whopping Cough cases -- be sure to have that ruled out if there is a concern in your area.
    Zia_Stephie really wants you as my swagbucks referral...PM me and I'll send you the link. Thanks!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks Stephie ...... she is at the doctors now and we are waiting to see what they say this time.

Trading Score
    83 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zia_Stephie View Post
    I found that when my DD was around teething age, she would get really bad post nasal drip that would cause her to cough, have a runny nose and a fever. I just took a rolled towel and placed it under the head of her crib mattress and it seemed to slow down the issue.
    Not saying this is what you are going through, but here in BC (Lower Mainland) there has been a record number of Whopping Cough cases -- be sure to have that ruled out if there is a concern in your area.
    OMG that sounds exactly like what my son has. It seems like he has a perpetual runny nose. And he hates having his nose touched, even to wipe it with a tissue. Good to know it is probably a teething thing!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Ask for a refferal to a paediatric respirologist (sp?) Might be able to shed some more light on the problem.

Trading Score
    149 (100%)

Asthma test can only be done at around the age of 7 or so, when they can do a proper "lungs function" test. In the meantime, pneumonia is a real risk. If you are taking her to a pediatrician, make sure you request for a chest X-ray. Very often that's how they can tell if there is bacterial infection in the lungs (a.k.a pneumonia).

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I know a child who was tested at like 10 months. Could you get a second opinion?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

This might be related to allergies....have you had your house checked for mold or any other possible "enviromental" triggers? Is she around cigarette smoke? The daycare probably exposes her to every germ out there, but she should be developing immunity to some of it.

My children never went to daycare or preschool. When my oldest started kindergarten, she brought home a cold every couple of weeks until Christmas, then nothing. Good luck getting to the root of the problem, poor little mite probably hasn't had a good night sleep in ages...

Thread Information