User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Are meat and dairy the devil? You decide.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Natalka frantically googles falafel...... okay, not something I've ever seen or had. But I have been expanding my cooking by trying new things - just recently got quinoa but haven't made anything with it yet.

Just in general about healthy eating - I think more happens once you start being more cognizant of your food. SO many things change, other than main meals and how they are cooked.
    Usually people start watching what they are snacking - cut out sweets and salty snacks - and cut back, or cut out, both sweetened and diet pop - the latter can be worse than the sweetened, even without HFCS.
    So many other things - having water instead of juice or flavoured drinks or gourmet coffees, or going to herbal teas, even just sweetened with a bit of honey should it be needed/wanted.
    Also, methods of cooking - I can't remember the last time I fried anything.... every few months as a huge treat my husband makes schnitzel, but that's with a minimum of canola oil. The last few years, I've really gotten into roasting, and other methods of 'slow' cooking (not meaning with a slowcooker). That has a bonus, too, I often put everything into the roaster, so it cooks together, then also add some fresh veggies or greens, too.
    Patty Smyth likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Mon, Jan 19th, 2015 at 08:13 PM.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I think my falafal problem is this, too big, too dry, and I'm too impatient to cook them

I will take everyones advice thanks.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kashkoush View Post
    i don't know why i can't believe the study about how dairy has a protein that cause the body to lose calcium. besides other plant based milk and products r not at reasonable prices that consumers can afford esp large families.
    It's not the protein. In all meat and dairy products there is naturally occurring phosphorus. When you eat these products, the phosphorus goes into your blood stream, to stabilize itself, it attaches to calcium, if there's not enough calcium in your diet, it will take it from your bones. Unlike most meats, dairy has calcium too, but it is most likely being used to counter the phosphorus also found in the dairy products, rather than your body absorbing the calcium.

“The countries with the highest rates of osteoporosis are the ones where people drink the most milk and have the most calcium in their diets. The connection between calcium consumption and bone health is actually very weak, and the connection between dairy consumption and bone health is almost nonexistent.” Amy Lanou Ph.D., nutrition director for the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine in Washington, D.C

Sources:

http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives...eoporosis.html
    http://saveourbones.com/osteoporosis-milk-myth/
    http://www.vegparadise.com/calcium.html

Non dairy sources of calcium - one vegetarian cookbook I read argued that we don't need to focus as much on calcium consumption as the dairy industry would have you believe. It is important, especially if you eat meat to include calcium into your diet though!

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/25-...um.html?page=2
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/16...es-of-calcium/
    Patty Smyth and Abby5 like this.
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

thanks Lekate for taking the time and writing, i did read about it and there r also studies that counter these claims, u know i really hope that they all agree with it or disagree so we know where we stand!

Trading Score
    160 (100%)

reading this thread I think I will really stay with my "eat alot of various thing, each in reasonable amount!"
    Natalka, AnnieP and ninna like this.
    Liberty of one finish where liberty of the other one start

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

thanks Lekate for taking the time and writing, i did read about it and there r also studies that counter these claims, u know i really hope that they all agree with it or disagree so we know where we stand!
    Np, the most compelling argument is from the China Study, they don't have the same levels of osteoporosis as we do yet don't consume dairy past infancy/childhood.

It's hard when the dairy industry has such a large lobby group behind it. The Nutella lawsuit shows that there's lots of ways in which we are deceived when someone is trying to make money off of us.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories...lawsuit-120427

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

it's kinda weird esp my parents have osteoporosis and both of them didn't consume much dairy growing up, and they both lived in a sunny part of the world most of their life time and it doesn't run in the family!! isn't that confusing

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

it's kinda weird esp my parents have osteoporosis and both of them didn't consume much dairy growing up, and they both lived in a sunny part of the world most of their life time and it doesn't run in the family!! isn't that confusing
    Did they consume a lot of meat? Other factors are lack of exercise, weigh lifting (doesn't have to be much) helps maintain bone density

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

no not much meat but 100% zero exercise

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

no not much meat but 100% zero exercise
    That could have been it! - "if you don't use it you lose it"!

http://www.osteopenia3.com/bone-density-exercises.html
    kashkoush likes this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I recently found a great local source for hormone and antibiotic free meat and i am one happy camper!! I personally believe that what a cow or chicken eats and the extras they are given to grow rapidly are the biggest problems in the meat we consume. I am a meat eater, some dairy, and have great bloodwork and overall health. I do not eat grains, not many anyways, and no gluten. Just meat and veggies...some oatmeal (wheat free) and protein powders.....
    Thanks to TRU and the meat store they opened in conjunction with the retail meat processer course they offer....it is the best beef I have eaten for YEARS!! Chicken and pork are equally as yummy.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

itchy ,well the problem is too much protein in a diet causes the acidity in the body and calcium withdrawl from bones and teeth to balance the ph, and that's a main concern for osteoporosis
    Patty Smyth likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Honestly I doubt it. If you listen to all the rumors, you are not allowed to eat anything, as you will get sick

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DaisySibyl View Post
    Honestly I doubt it. If you listen to all the rumors, you are not allowed to eat anything, as you will get sick

Actually in the movie they are only advocating you drop 3 things from your diet. Meat, dairy and processed foods. I do my groceries in a giant fruit/veggie warehouse type store now and get my dried goods(beans etc) at a bulk place. It's costing us a lot less too which is great because we are 6.
    anisa, kazm-l, 2010ontest and 1 others like this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information