User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Are meat and dairy the devil? You decide.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

interesting film. Think I'd like to see it...not sure DH wants me to see it though. Any talk of going vegetarian sends him to the nearest Keg restaurant for the largest steak in the house. Not that I'm judging. The idea of going without dairy sends me to a bucket of Chapman's faster than you can say "Did you use your $5 coupon for that?" LOL.

I've made a concerted effort over the past year to eat less meat than before, particularly the processed crap. Were it not for cutting back a little on meat, I never would've discovered lentil soup. Most times, I didn't really "miss" the meat when I made a vegetarian dish instead....well....except for the stuffed green peppers. Sorry, but rice and beans is a poor substitute for ground beef, tomato sauce, and cheese. LOL. But getting "buy in" from the rest of my family has been really tough. If we eat something vegetarian more often than 2 nights a week, there's dissent and alot eye rolling in my direction.

Mostly I've been trying to reduce the processed stuff--processed of any kind. No aspartame shall ever cross my threshold! No more sliced deli meats or hot dog weiners, less high fructose corn syrup (although my gawd that crap is in everything so this is a hard one!!!), less store-canned goods like soup, and I do as much cooking from scratch as possible. We also eat a tonne more raw vegetables than we did before, but again there's the eye rolling from the kids on this one too.

We will never go vegetarian. Not because I wouldn't be interested in doing it but because there would never be the buy-in, so I have to take that in consideration. Everything in moderation for us, I guess. *shrugs*
    solarpower likes this.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Thanks OP.

Like you said, it may not work for everyone to go off meat.

My doctor told me that I need more iron. Pills are the worst source says he. Plant based sources are not enough. Best source is the most expensive cuts of beef- like $22 per kg. Yikes. So once in a while, we get the high priced beef cuts, when they are pink stickered or rip and stick coupons attached.

My doc says that the beef iron is more easily absorbed by the body.

Trading Score
    160 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    Thanks OP.

Like you said, it may not work for everyone to go off meat.

My doctor told me that I need more iron. Pills are the worst source says he. Plant based sources are not enough. Best source is the most expensive cuts of beef- like $22 per kg. Yikes. So once in a while, we get the high priced beef cuts, when they are pink stickered or rip and stick coupons attached.

My doc says that the beef iron is more easily absorbed by the body.
    If you eat too much calcium (often dairy) in the same time than iron, you could have competition between both for the in-take often in favor of calcium instead of iron. One possibility is trying to eat produce with alot of iron or meat not in the same time than stuff with high calcium.
    Liberty of one finish where liberty of the other one start

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 2010ontest View Post
    If you eat too much calcium (often dairy) in the same time than iron, you could have competition between both for the in-take often in favor of calcium instead of iron. One possibility is trying to eat produce with alot of iron or meat not in the same time than stuff with high calcium.
    Thanks. My doc already told me about calcium. Also about vitamin C helping with iron absorption

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

Lol, you would think with the business I'm in I'd completely disagree with you . Personally, if I go more than a couple of days without meat, even if I make sure to get the nutrients through other food sources, I feel weak and find myself craving it *shrug.* For me, quality of meat is most important...and, of course, eating the appropriate amount.

Funny, the issue I have with it is more of a moral struggle. I've always had a hard time with the fact that the meat I'm eating was a living creature. You'd think I'd be used to it by now but I've never been able to find peace with the idea . Darn family, why didn't they get into the fresh produce business instead, lol.

Oh, and as for milk, thanks to you and Ontest, we've cut down our consumption of it by half!! The boys and I have been completely turned on by almond and soy milk. It took us a little while to get used to it but we're loving it now. I even dared to try rice milk with my cereal today and it was great!
    Patty Smyth, AnnieP and 2010ontest like this.
    ~RRLF $0.75 Organic Meadow, $1 Almond Fresh~

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

The 2 main doctors in this movie were raised on dairy farms which I found very interesting.

One statistic from the movie that blew my mind was that if you took all the food that is fed to cattle in one year you cold feed 8 billion people. Mind boggling.

So far I am ok with the no meat/dairy but hey if I want chicken I am having it

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    Just saw an interesting documentary called Forks Over Knives. Pretty much tells us meat and dairy are the cause for all major diseases. It has some pretty compelling arguments. DH and I are slowly eliminating meat from our diet, actually DH already has, and dairy was never a factor because we never drank milk or consumed many dairy products.

Certaily something to consider, although not for everyone. I do know people who have done this and eliminated their need for meds. and DH is also off his diabetes meds now after following this type of lifestyle change.

Do you think you could live without meat and dairy products?

Do you think that "big business" is behind the push for mass consumption of these products along with processed foods.

Meat and dairy farmers are highly subsidized by the government, should they be, if as this movie claims it's killing us?

For those of us that coupon, we must ask ourselves why there are no coupons for fruits and veggies. I know that my couponing has almost become non-existent in the last year since we cut out as many processed foods as possible.

All very interesting questions to ponder over.

Here are a few clips from the movie.

Me ex's dad regulated his type 2 diabetes completely through diet, nothing processed, no added sugar, he still ate meat but not huge quantities. I believe we need to take more responsibility for the foods we put into our bodies.

The China Study also talks about these things.
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

i think eating meat and dairy are very natural... the problem is the totally screwed up way most of it is produced and processed in these modern times

i think that is why veganism exists... ppl were disgusted with how we do things these days.

with diabetes i think meats aren't the issue, but rather the insane amounts of processed grains we consume.

i really like the idea of a whole foods way of eating, where meat is included and grains are given a smaller portion in your overall daily consumption. going further, the grains should be less processed and higher in protein.

the way we eat is so messed up. the mega producers and govt's that have been thoroughly bribed are to blame for creating such a screwed up industry.

i hope DH666 succeeds with controlling his blood sugar through diet
    AmberLab and kashkoush like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    i think eating meat and dairy are very natural... the problem is the totally screwed up way most of it is produced and processed in these modern times

i think that is why veganism exists... ppl were disgusted with how we do things these days.

with diabetes i think meats aren't the issue, but rather the insane amounts of processed grains we consume.

i really like the idea of a whole foods way of eating, where meat is included and grains are given a smaller portion in your overall daily consumption. going further, the grains should be less processed and higher in protein.

the way we eat is so messed up. the mega producers and govt's that have been thoroughly bribed are to blame for creating such a screwed up industry.

I don't think eating dairy is very natural at all. We are the only species that consumes another's milk. No other species consumes milk after weening either so in that sense, what we do is completely unatural. Meat, on the other hand, I can understand. I cut down to one pill a day and in about one week, if my blood sugar is still OK, I will cut out the last one and see what happens. I lost 64 lbs so far and I haven't been at this weight since I was in high school.
    Last edited by DH666; Sun, Apr 29th, 2012 at 12:49 PM.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post

Dairy actually increases your risk of developing osteoporosis (along with a high meat diet), doesn't really sound like a natural way to live. (despite what the dairy industry tells you, plants are a better source of calcium because they don't contain phosphorus which will take calcium from your bones)...
    Patty Smyth and Abby5 like this.
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

The 2 main doctors in this movie were raised on dairy farms which I found very interesting.

One statistic from the movie that blew my mind was that if you took all the food that is fed to cattle in one year you cold feed 8 billion people. Mind boggling.

So far I am ok with the no meat/dairy but hey if I want chicken I am having it
    After reading your post yesterday, I got a random call from a friend this morning. My friend is reading a book on a similar topic and decided to reduce the amount of meat they eat and increase the amount of fruits and veggies at each meal.

Funny coincidence that my friend called me at the same time you posted.
    Patty Smyth likes this.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

i don't know why i can't believe the study about how dairy has a protein that cause the body to lose calcium. besides other plant based milk and products r not at reasonable prices that consumers can afford esp large families.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Anyone have any tips for keeping my falafel from crumbling? I know that i was supposed to let it refrigerate before cooking it which i did not but any other tips? I do not deep fry them I just pan fry in a little olive oil, maybe that's my mistake too? I think I may be making them too big also, small hamburger size.

So pretty much I am saying is that they taste great but look ike a freaking disaster
    anisa likes this.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

I love love love this movie!!!!
    Patty Smyth likes this.
    New mom October 2014!

Trading Score
    69 (100%)

Anyone have any tips for keeping my falafel from crumbling? I know that i was supposed to let it refrigerate before cooking it which i did not but any other tips? I do not deep fry them I just pan fry in a little olive oil, maybe that's my mistake too? I think I may be making them too big also, small hamburger size.

So pretty much I am saying is that they taste great but look ike a freaking disaster
    Do they need more liquid to help them stick ?(or less flour!) Lemon juice, oil, Tahini??
    I sometimes bake mine and that way there's no oil.
    Also they are supposed to be smallish -like a ping-pong ball i guess.
    But i'd rather have a freakin' mess of a falafel than no falafel at all
    Patty Smyth and 2010ontest like this.
    Come on -Join me ! Get Points, get Free stuff

http://www.gifthulk.com/refer/kazm-l
    And if you need a link for Zoombucks or Irazoo ....let me know!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information