User Tag List

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast
Like Tree390Likes

Thread: Bill C-78 "emergency" legislation

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmel View Post
    Just something i wanted to share.. quote from giveme5bucks.

The proposed tuition fee increase is $1,625 per student,
    spread over seven years[COLOR=#252525][FONT=Arial]. That’s $232 a year. This is what the students are striking over?
    My trusty calculator tells me that works out to 64 cents a day. A large Timmies costs 3 times that.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    My trusty calculator tells me that works out to 64 cents a day. A large Timmies costs 3 times that.
    Now, now..that might be very confusing for the ones that drink's tea instead..lol
    anisa, lecale and DaveP like this.

Merician Loving Nuck! kparker1786's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    From the OSAP site but applicable to all Canadians because they are federal programs

Specialized assistance with repayment of student loans is also available to students with permanent disabilities including:

There are many many programs to help out the disabled. In Ontario welfare recipients on ODSP can get OSAP, grants, bursaries, tax credits...pretty sure Quebec would be similar.

I don't think this is about freedom of speech because speech doesn't put paint on walls and rocks through windows. And a couple lawyers showing up doesn't mean the entire bar supports this.
    Just wanted to point out, you need to be very disabled for these. Not everyone is. I was, for SOME, for others I was told my parents made too much money (Even though we all struggled to pay bills from the time I was 4.. ) Plus, if someone had a hearing loss that comes and goes (which is real, I have a friend and a former student who has this) they would NOT qualify for it, so thus, they would have to pay for their own equipment. I also don't qualify for the repayment plan because, once again, my parents made too much money. Damn them for not going on welfare! (Hearing loss is just one disability, the one I'm personally too well known with )

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

They are now in their 3rd day of talks with the Education and Security Ministers.
    kparker1786 likes this.

Trading Score
    19 (95%)

Obviously i would be pissed but isnt that part of life? i mean, many examples can be given about paying for something and next thing you know it increases... it doesnt make it ok to smash things and go all bunkers. Like mentioned.. i do understand up to a point just not how extreme this is turning out to be... heck food is going up like crazy.. and we do need food to survive.. just look at the gas rate... it's going to come to a point i'm gonna have to ride a darn donkey...lol!!!!
    Obviously i would be pissed but isnt that part of life? i mean, many examples can be given about paying for something and next thing you know it increases... it doesnt make it ok to smash things and go all bunkers. Like mentioned.. i do understand up to a point just not how extreme this is turning out to be... heck food is going up like crazy.. and we do need food to survive.. just look at the gas rate... it's going to come to a point i'm gonna have to ride a darn donkey...lol!!!!
    I am so for the students.. They are showing us to stop being soft, to stop bending over and to stop taking EVERYTHING the government throws at us and say thank you even when we don't agree. It’s much more than just a strike/protest about school fees going up. The students are tired of our government and are tired of seeing us taking it in the rear end for all these years. They are saying enough is enough. Regardless if the students were made aware of this hike or not. Regardless if these protesters are keeping you up at night. Regardless of all the animosities everybody has against the students. These “spoiled kids’’, like so many of you love to call them, are marching for what they believe is WRONG. Everything is wrong in this country. Not just Quebec and not just the tuition hike. Our “trusted’’ leaders spend our dollars every-which way they want and we never say anything about it. They spend BILLIONS on things we do not need and forget the basics. Which are school, the elderly, child care and health care. Our children are standing up and are SCREAMING enough is enough! We will not longer lay down and say nothing!

Aren’t you tired of being over-priced for gas, food, shelter and more? I know I am! I believe in family and freedom. And I also believe that money should be spent where it counts most.

Do you think it's OK for a government to spend more than $80 billion from our private and public money for a plan that WILL destroy our environment? (the Pan Nord)

Do you think it's OK for Jean Charest to run up one third of Quebec's total 184$ billion gross debts since becoming premier in 2003 on god knows what?

Do you think it’s OK for our government to hand over $6 million on a blizzard of funds to Quebec’s snowmobile clubs?

Do you think it’s OK for our government to pay $1.2 million to send transport officials overseas to study the latest in engineering technology, including trips to Burkina Faso and Algeria?

Do you think it’s OK for our government to fork out $268,000 for a footbridge in Forestville, Quebec?

Do you think it’s OK for our government to spend $300-million to build nine escalators at a University and then decide these escalators where not useful and decided to abandon the project and build a wall straight across the stairs?

I know I am tired of our government’s crazy spending. They say they must hike-up the price of schooling fees, yet they are spending BILLIONS on useless things. I say let’s wake up and give our government a piece of OUR minds.

PS: I am against violence and do not condone any violence what so ever. I have marched countless times alongside my daughter and I am VERY proud that she is saying out loud what all of us are thinking quietly.

Name:  000000.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  37.5 KB
    Here is what you see on the news..But, I can tell you, from being there many times, (Including Victoriaville) that this is not what happens for real. The majority of the students are peaceful. But like any demonstration there are outsiders that will take advantage a huge crowd to cause mayhem. Don't be so quick to judge the students because of a few bad apples.
    Last edited by quebecqueen; Wed, May 30th, 2012 at 05:07 PM.
    TaraF and kparker1786 like this.
    Earn free points, get a chance to win a great contest.. Follow this link it's worth you time I swear

Or this link as well for Quebec residents..Free GC and more..

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I wasnt going to comment since i said pretty much what i wanted to say but (always one) since you quoted something i said, it would be rude not to comment..lol!!!

All the examples you have given is point on! I would gladly make a huge sign..even from toilet paper if i had too, and go stike like crazy. But if you actually think i would be wasting my time to boohoo an increase of 254$ per year for 7 years ..think again. If food or gas would have the same benefits of some kind of increase and would stay at that price for 7 years, i would be jumping-up a storm..really!! I can see myself jumping up and down...
    erin9mmm likes this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by quebecqueen View Post
    Interesting graphic. I'd have more respect for the thousands of peaceful demonstrators on the left side of the image if they put a stop to the dozen on the right side destroying property. You know, by videotaping them, and identifying them to police. Denouncing them, even intervening to protect property. Does not seem to be happening, though.

Also those peaceful ones in the image are still blocking the flow of business and hurting businesses that are innocent, as well as the people who work for them, and everyone just trying to go about there lives who are unfortunate enough to live in the area.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I am so for the students.. They are showing us to stop being soft, to stop bending over and to stop taking EVERYTHING the government throws at us and say thank you even when we don't agree. It’s much more than just a strike/protest about school fees going up. The students are tired of our government and are tired of seeing us taking it in the rear end for all these years. They are saying enough is enough. Regardless if the students were made aware of this hike or not. Regardless if these protesters are keeping you up at night. Regardless of all the animosities everybody has against the students. These “spoiled kids’’, like so many of you love to call them, are marching for what they believe is WRONG. Everything is wrong in this country. Not just Quebec and not just the tuition hike. Our “trusted’’ leaders spend our dollars every-which way they want and we never say anything about it. They spend BILLIONS on things we do not need and forget the basics. Which are school, the elderly, child care and health care. Our children are standing up and are SCREAMING enough is enough! We will not longer lay down and say nothing!

Aren’t you tired of being over-priced for gas, food, shelter and more? I know I am! I believe in family and freedom. And I also believe that money should be spent where it counts most.

Do you think it's OK for a government to spend more than $80 billion from our private and public money for a plan that WILL destroy our environment? (the Pan Nord)

Do you think it's OK for Jean Charest to run up one third of Quebec's total 184$ billion gross debts since becoming premier in 2003 on god knows what?

Do you think it’s OK for our government to hand over $6 million on a blizzard of funds to Quebec’s snowmobile clubs?

Do you think it’s OK for our government to pay $1.2 million to send transport officials overseas to study the latest in engineering technology, including trips to Burkina Faso and Algeria?

Do you think it’s OK for our government to fork out $268,000 for a footbridge in Forestville, Quebec?

Do you think it’s OK for our government to spend $300-million to build nine escalators at a University and then decide these escalators where not useful and decided to abandon the project and build a wall straight across the stairs?

I know I am tired of our government’s crazy spending. They say they must hike-up the price of schooling fees, yet they are spending BILLIONS on useless things. I say let’s wake up and give our government a piece of OUR minds.

PS: I am against violence and do not condone any violence what so ever. I have marched countless times alongside my daughter and I am VERY proud that she is saying out loud what all of us are thinking quietly.

Here is what you see on the news..But, I can tell you, from being there many times, (Including Victoriaville) that this is not what happens for real. The majority of the students are peaceful. But like any demonstration there are outsiders that will take advantage a huge crowd to cause mayhem. Don't be so quick to judge the students because of a few bad apples.
    you can't cherry pick. if you have ever collected child benefits, UI, medical benefits etc, please write a cheque and send it back to the gov't.

you might not like certain gov't projects because you personally do not agree with them, but you cannot hold the general public hostage over your disagreements either.

why are the supposedly larger group of protestors not stopping the ones who are throwing tantrums and being rude, violent and disrespectful?
    DaveP, erin9mmm and Arielmac like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Protestors in Quebec outside the building where the "negociations" are taking place have DRUMS , FFS it's 11pm , no repsect.
    anisa, DaveP, erin9mmm and 1 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Black Bloc protestors in downtown Montreal right now

Trading Score
    19 (95%)

I wasnt going to comment since i said pretty much what i wanted to say but (always one) since you quoted something i said, it would be rude not to comment..lol!!!

All the examples you have given is point on! I would gladly make a huge sign..even from toilet paper if i had too, and go stike like crazy. But if you actually think i would be wasting my time to boohoo an increase of 254$ per year for 7 years ..think again. If food or gas would have the same benefits of some kind of increase and would stay at that price for 7 years, i would be jumping-up a storm..really!! I can see myself jumping up and down...
    The hike is not just 254$ per year.. It's the concept behind it. The government says they don't have any money for schools but yet they will be spending 300$ million to take care of a road that will bring Chinese companies to dig diamonds to sell in their country ( to us obviously at a higher rate).

And what's with everybody and the ''Me'' attitude. This is affecting all of us. Yes the students protest. yes they disturb the streets and the citizens that have to deal with the chaos every night. But they are fighting against an unjust system. It is far beyond the 254$ per year increase. They are fighting against a corrupt government that is attached left and right with the Mafia.

Interesting graphic. I'd have more respect for the thousands of peaceful demonstrators on the left side of the image if they put a stop to the dozen on the right side destroying property. You know, by videotaping them, and identifying them to police. Denouncing them, even intervening to protect property. Does not seem to be happening, though.

Also those peaceful ones in the image are still blocking the flow of business and hurting businesses that are innocent, as well as the people who work for them, and everyone just trying to go about there lives who are unfortunate enough to live in the area.
    There are students who have tried to stop these bad apples only to be pepper sprayed and hit by the police core. Again! What is with the ''me'' attitude. I feel for these people who have to deal with the noise every night and are stuck in traffic everyday. But, the ''me'' attitude is the reason why we are so in debt. Us adults never fought against this corrupt government. We have never screamed and yelled when the gas price started to go up, (even though the price of the barrel is the same has it was in the 90's). These ''spoiled'' kids are fighting for a better future.

These businesses that are so affected by these protesters are not has affected has one might think. Most of these are closed anyway when the march happens and the ones that are open make money from these kids and all protesters going in for a soft drink, food, water bottle and so forth. Again with the ''me'' attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    you can't cherry pick. if you have ever collected child benefits, UI, medical benefits etc, please write a cheque and send it back to the gov't.

you might not like certain gov't projects because you personally do not agree with them, but you cannot hold the general public hostage over your disagreements either.

why are the supposedly larger group of protestors not stopping the ones who are throwing tantrums and being rude, violent and disrespectful?
    I would gladly accept a hike in my taxes if it meant that our debt would decrease, the elderly had free Medicare and medicine ( my father could not even afford some of his medicine some months, which I paid for more then once and I know many elderly who have to choose between eating of buying their meds), that I would not have to choose between waiting 17 hours at a free hospital and then wait 4 months for tests that will save my life (my late husband waited 4 months for a test only to be told that if his cancer was detected earlier maybe they could have done something about it) and that my children (one in university next year and one in Cegep) would get a good and affordable education. Do you realise that these kids will come out of University with a debt close to 30K which equals to the payment of a mortgage without the house that comes with it.

These government stupid spending are affecting all of us. I am not blind and do not think that one day I will not need the care as an elderly. I am not blinded and do no think that this hike will not affect my grand-children in a big way. I am not blinded and do not think that the prise of gas will stop at a 1.50$/litre.

I am pissed to see that our government do not have money for the essentials and yet is spending billions on stupidities. And so should you!
    Earn free points, get a chance to win a great contest.. Follow this link it's worth you time I swear

Trading Score
    19 (95%)

This video shows what the protesters are up against. I am not for Violence In any way shape or form. These police officers are being so violent and yet none of them are being arrested. Why because, like our government, they have the ultimate power.

Trading Score
    19 (95%)

Here is a video for all of you who thought that it was false that cops infiltrated the crowds and cause mayhem only to get the citizens to think that students and protesters are throwing rocks and braking windows. The police core even admitted that these 3 where in fact police officers. ''the where there to make sure peace reign''. yeah right! Armed with rocks and black scarves.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

There are students who have tried to stop these bad apples only to be pepper sprayed and hit by the police core. Again! What is with the ''me'' attitude. I feel for these people who have to deal with the noise every night and are stuck in traffic everyday. But, the ''me'' attitude is the reason why we are so in debt. Us adults never fought against this corrupt government. We have never screamed and yelled when the gas price started to go up, (even though the price of the barrel is the same has it was in the 90's). These ''spoiled'' kids are fighting for a better future.
    Good to know our generation never stood for anything. I guess we have a lot to learn from the protesters and rioters without a 'me' attitude who are clearly causing all this disruption because of altruism.

As for the price of oil being the same now as it was in the 90's, you might want to check on that. In January 1999 the price per barrel was $17 USD, today it's $103 USD. Facts are such annoying things.

BTW, who's paying for them to enjoy that lower tuition? Why, me! How about that. And yes, there's my 'me' attitude again, I guess I should stand behind the selfless protesters who are paying a lower tuition now in 2012, than I did in Nova Scotia in 1988. Bad, bad me.

Oh, and if you don't like your provincial government, elect a new one. There should be an election soon, yes? Of course, youth are the demographic least likely to vote. No problem with paralyzing a city for months, but way too much effort to cast a ballot.
    Last edited by DaveP; Thu, May 31st, 2012 at 07:06 AM.

Trading Score
    19 (95%)

Good to know our generation never stood for anything. I guess we have a lot to learn from the protesters and rioters without a 'me' attitude who are clearly causing all this disruption because of altruism.

As for the price of oil being the same now as it was in the 90's, you might want to check on that. In January 1999 the price per barrel was $17 USD, today it's $103 USD. Facts are such annoying things.

BTW, who's paying for them to enjoy that lower tuition? Why, me! How about that. And yes, there's my 'me' attitude again, I guess I should stand behind the selfless protesters who are paying a lower tuition now in 2012, than I did in Nova Scotia in 1988. Bad, bad me.

Oh, and if you don't like your provincial government, elect a new one. There should be an election soon, yes? Of course, youth are the demographic least likely to vote. No problem with paralyzing a city for months, but way too much effort to cast a ballot.
    In March of 91 the gas went up to 38$/barrel yet the price at the pump still stayed at around 0.55$ a litre. The price of a crude barrel is now at 87.82$ what justifies 1.49$ for a litre of gas??

But, besides the price of gas ( which I will give you did go up), just because another province is paying more for their tuition does not mean that ours have to increase. Our neighbours, the US, have the s**tiest health care system, so basing my self on your argument, we should abolish our health care and do just like they do.

And, while we're at it, let's not let the women vote since woman are not allowed to vote in Arab countries. And, at the same time, let's take away all free speech rights, just like many countries, and kill and jail anybody who dares question the government.

I do not like my provincial government or my federal government (I do not agree to spend 30 billions on fighter jets or to send 300 millions to the United Arabs Emirates). They spend billions for the army and forget the basics. You should be concerned and ask why the Nova-Scotia government is spending 304 Million of YOUR money on ships. Yet you had to pay tens of thousands for school. I would be pissed if I was you!

And, I did NOT vote for them and would love to have to be able cast another ballot. bring on the vote!!

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread Information