User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree197Likes

Thread: Yard sale couponing??!!

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DeeThomas View Post
    Aren't there tax implications doing this?

I know that in the UK if you buy things specifically to resell them then the Tax Man wants his share of your profit. They're really cracking down on people doing this on Ebay and at 'car boot sales'.

Dee, I totally read that with an english accent !!!

Just Jez
    Trading Score
    586 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DeeThomas View Post
    Aren't there tax implications doing this?

I know that in the UK if you buy things specifically to resell them then the Tax Man wants his share of your profit. They're really cracking down on people doing this on Ebay and at 'car boot sales'.
    not sure as my upcoming yard sale will mainly be gently loved treasures few items are new still in box but they are things like a game /yard toys /and dishes LOL ...I like my stash but not enough to drag it out to the yard ....and once my sale is done I am calling someone to take whatever is left to donate
    sharkie likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Jezebel View Post
    not sure as my upcoming yard sale will mainly be gently loved treasures few items are new still in box but they are things like a game /yard toys /and dishes LOL ...I like my stash but not enough to drag it out to the yard ....and once my sale is done I am calling someone to take whatever is left to donate
    Sorry, not to hijack a thread, but please do consider donating whatever is left to anyone you might know in your community having a yard sale for the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation. It's called Yard Sale for the Cure and you can find out more about them here: http://www.yardsaleforthecure.com/

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Yes they said they had bought stuff with coupons. They had 4 8 foot tables and 10 baskets full of items. I might add too that there was 1 table of used items (not from couponing but from house not being used) Example was Duracell chargers for $7 each she had in excess of 30 or more

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    220 (100%)

Just started reading this thread and I am with Jezebel on this. However this comment caught my eye

Quote Originally Posted by Poirot View Post
    Walmart has a piece of paper on some products that basically say if you see this product not sold at Walmart let us know.So they don't want products not being resold outside the store.

Just because Walmart puts a sticker on their goods do they have the "right" to tell you what to do with it after it is sold. Is the mere sticker the authority? Can anyone put stickers on their goods?

Sorry if I'm segwaying...but I'm really curious about this.
    Jezebel likes this.

Just Jez
    Trading Score
    586 (100%)

after something is SOLD it is no longer mine...therefore I loose the right to say what can happen/what to do with said item.....

Just Jez
    Trading Score
    586 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ChristieJ View Post
    Sorry, not to hijack a thread, but please do consider donating whatever is left to anyone you might know in your community having a yard sale for the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation. It's called Yard Sale for the Cure and you can find out more about them here: http://www.yardsaleforthecure.com/
    Thanks but I have already chosen a charity...
    ChristieJ likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by marmaduke View Post
    Just started reading this thread and I am with Jezebel on this. However this comment caught my eye

Just because Walmart puts a sticker on their goods do they have the "right" to tell you what to do with it after it is sold. Is the mere sticker the authority? Can anyone put stickers on their goods?

Sorry if I'm segwaying...but I'm really curious about this.
    I've seen these stickers on Safeway items too. If you'll notice, it's only for fairly expensive products, such as razor blades, cosmetics, etc. Believe it or not, people steal from retailers and sell to people at the flea markets. I think these "resellers" even take orders for what items they want in their "inventory". I'm sure they wouldn't do it if they didn't have customers who will buy this pilfered stuff.
    lecale likes this.

Just Jez
    Trading Score
    586 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by marstec View Post
    I've seen these stickers on Safeway items too. If you'll notice, it's only for fairly expensive products, such as razor blades, cosmetics, etc. Believe it or not, people steal from retailers and sell to people at the flea markets. I think these "resellers" even take orders for what items they want in their "inventory". I'm sure they wouldn't do it if they didn't have customers who will buy this pilfered stuff.
    I have seen the stickers also @LD also but never really thought about why they did it as if ppl are stealing for re-sale you think they would be smart enough to remove the store sticker LOL
    sharkie likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

yea the stickers on the products are mearly for this reason.....there are theifs that take lists of what discount stores need and look for and thats what they steal...and the large stores want them caught so they can #1 get the bad stores brought down..the theives in jail and so on...its not for the every day consumer that may sell some of thier stuff at a yard sale. and no it is not illegal to resell as long as its not stolen. if you got these products legally..I say do what you want, the police couldnt care less and if they got a call from someone about people selling stuff like that at their yardsale, they might just charge you for wasting their time...to each his own.like me...i dont have a baby but i got 3 boxes of good start concentrate..it was regular 35.00 on for 1.99 on clearance..i bought it..no coupons and your right i sold them for profit..they got a hell of a deal and i made a little extra for this months groceries.

Trading Score
    195 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by melodyagwu View Post
    yea the stickers on the products are mearly for this reason.....there are theifs that take lists of what discount stores need and look for and thats what they steal...and the large stores want them caught so they can #1 get the bad stores brought down..the theives in jail and so on...its not for the every day consumer that may sell some of thier stuff at a yard sale. and no it is not illegal to resell as long as its not stolen. if you got these products legally..I say do what you want, the police couldnt care less and if they got a call from someone about people selling stuff like that at their yardsale, they might just charge you for wasting their time...to each his own.like me...i dont have a baby but i got 3 boxes of good start concentrate..it was regular 35.00 on for 1.99 on clearance..i bought it..no coupons and your right i sold them for profit..they got a hell of a deal and i made a little extra for this months groceries.
    where the heck did you find Good Start Concentrate for $1.99!?!?! In situations like that you only need 1 thing............ my cell number!!!! lol!!!!
    Please Help My Friends Neice Win Wal-Mart's "Mom of the Year" to win $100,000 for "The Canuck Childrens Hospice"
    http://www.momoftheyear.ca/mom/?mom_id=23512
    A Brave Mom of 3 lives every day knowing her baby will soon pass away. PLEASE Click to read her story and vote!

Just Jez
    Trading Score
    586 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by JennyFromTheRock View Post
    where the heck did you find Good Start Concentrate for $1.99!?!?! In situations like that you only need 1 thing............ my cell number!!!! lol!!!!
    haha I just laughed loudly and had to cover my mouth as not to wake up my sleeping room mate !!!

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

if someone is reselling, they need to collect the taxes, be registered and licensed, issue receipts etc.

selling it and saying "well i needed the cash, i'm on hard times ya know" doesn't cut it.
    Sunraven and anastasia1009 like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

i totally read the title wrong. I thought people shopped at yard sale and used coupons.....

i thought it's illegal to sell stuff you bought with coupons....

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

You can re-sell items you've purchased and not used, but purchasing items for the purposes of re-sale is crossing a line.

While you can argue that "once I buy it, it's mine to do with what I want", and "Loblaws buys from someone else and re-sells, so I can do the same", it's not the same thing. Most manufacturers of products sell their products through their wholesale sales divisions (working as a distributor, not selling to the public) only to authorized retailers. While the stores don't advertize that they're authorized distributors in the same way that Avon or Arbonne reps will, the same types of exclusivity contracts exist so that the product manufacturers still have a say over how the products are placed, advertized, etc. Selling outside of these contracts is often forbidden (think of when no name products declare that they are "Manufactured exclusively for Loblaws Corporation"). If you've ever shopped at a P&G warehouse sale for example, your receipt likely states, along with all the "no exchanges and refunds" language, that "Resale of merchandise/products purchased at this sale is forbidden" - at least that's what it used to say when they did this at the truckload sales in my hometown.

If people are doing this as a money-maker, they also should be registered with a business licence or vendor's permit and be charging either provincial sales taxes or HST depending on how much they earn per year in gross revenues. Their gross sales need to be declared as income, sales taxes need to be remitted, and income taxes paid on the income. If those conditions are satisfied, and you are selling things which are not covered by some sort of exclusivity contract for resale, then it's legal.

But, as an aside to my arguments above, buying personal care products at a yard sale, in my humble opinion, is just more than a little bit gross. There are too many possibilities for the product to be expired, recalled, tampered with in some way, or to be a fake/forgery like the ones you see at flea markets. Just my two cents, but I'll stick to going to the 'usual suspect' big retailers for my deodorant, shampoo, and similar products.
    Kalmel likes this.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information