User Tag List

Page 19 of 149 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 69 119 ... LastLast
Like Tree5643Likes

Thread: What's blooming in your yard?

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Nice everyone, beautiful!

I did another round of deadheading and some bush maintenance today. Sadly I think my back lawn will need complete reseeding in the fall. It's toast. The front is not much better but apart from watering that once I am not wasting anymore water on it. I picked up 2 bags of seeds yesterday 10kg each, clearance WM $150 reg. $45. They contain seed and feed. We'll see how that goes . Each bag can do 10K sq. feet lol. That's bigger than my entire lot. lol My red fountain grass is eally coming along but I am teribly disappointed in the wave petunias this year. Not the purple ones they did fairly well bu the pink ones suck. I think it's the earth in the pots. I bought Miracle gro potting soil on sale $5 a bag (120L)at WM and am changing out my big flowers boxes next year. it will do them good.
    Last edited by Patty Smyth; Wed, Jul 25th, 2012 at 04:06 PM. Reason: sp
    attitash likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I finally bought a new camera and have been taking lots of garden shots. Things are progressing nicely here, although it's starting to get a bit over-grown. I am noticing a few holes on my plants, so I'm going to have to go on slug patrol soon.
    Here is what's blooming today: more lilies!
    First is Russian Ragtime Daylily, then Lavon hybrid lily (this one is very fragrant), then it's Joe Pye weed aka Eupatorium. Last lily is a Catherine Woodbury daylily, and last picture is "Lorraine Sunshine" Heliopsis. I need to stake this one up, it's growing in shade and is really floppy.
    Attached Images Attached Images          

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

marstec...You lilies are beautiful!! I have a deck garden and I have a fire & ice Hosta about to bloom pretty pale purple flowers, some lilies that are about to bloom as well, a trellis of green beans, Magic Carpet(or Lambs ear) that is new this year, so no stalks with fuzzy flowers, but it is spreading like wildfire, and some bulbs(completely forget what the heck I planted) I want to say are dahlia's, but IDK that have buds on them. We are not allowed to plant bulbs in our townhouse complex as everything must be native. So I am going to leave that up to the landscapers to decide. Next year I have big plans for some herb and lettuce planters.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Got much need rain yesterday...41mm
    GoJays likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

marstec, i had one of the Lavon lilies a couple of years ago (never knew what it was called though).. i lost the bulb over the winter when voles decided to make a mid-january snack out of it i was so angry, my mother had given the bulb to me.. at least i saw it bloom once.. sigh..

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
    marstec, i had one of the Lavon lilies a couple of years ago (never knew what it was called though).. i lost the bulb over the winter when voles decided to make a mid-january snack out of it i was so angry, my mother had given the bulb to me.. at least i saw it bloom once.. sigh..
    GoJays,
    You have critters that dig up your lilies, but I have harsh winters that do them in...six of one, half dozen of another...you really can't win. But us gardeners are an optimistic lot, wouldn't you agree?

About the lily, it's called "Lavon" but it is an OT hybrid, which is a cross between an oriental and a trumpet lily. Quite frankly, I'm surprised this one made it because zone 2 is really "iffy" for survival of oriental lilies. I've had lots that bloomed beautifully the first year, only to dwindle to almost nothing the next. If you buy the bags of bulbs at Costco in the Spring, then you won't feel too bad about losing a few because the lily package is quite generous.
    GoJays likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

You did a good job of keeping that one alive You must have given it an extra blanket lol
    I never think of Costco for bulbs, we don't have one in town here and only get there once every couple of months.
    My next door neighbour gave me a couple of elephant ear bulbs last summer that he'd purchased there. I dragged the pot out this spring and it's doing great.. umm.. i forgot about the other one in the garage.. hopefully it will be still alive for next year
    marstec likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I picked a peck of peppers to day and I will pickle them in the morning. I also did alot of dead heading today.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by winston; Sat, Jul 28th, 2012 at 09:49 PM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Sorry about the size but I can't get it off. Help!
    Patty Smyth likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by winston View Post
    Sorry about the size but I can't get it off. Help!
    winston,
    Don't worry about the picture sizing...we're not picture snobs here. I think I speak for everyone when I say better to post a picture than none at all.

Do you have super zoom on your camera, or is the feeder that close? Awesome shot.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by marstec View Post
    winston,
    Don't worry about the picture sizing...we're not picture snobs here. I think I speak for everyone when I say better to post a picture than none at all.

Do you have super zoom on your camera, or is the feeder that close? Awesome shot.
    ditto.. i love the super close-up

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I miss my hummingbirds and goldfinches.no room for feeders anymore and the cats were always around them

as it is they stalk the birdbath
    attitash likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Amazed how Thursday`s rain has brought everything back. Sure beats tap water!
    anisa likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It was a bit of both. I was close, about 4 feet away and I zoomed in a little. These little guys are pretty used to us by now.

Happy Couponing
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Wow love this thread...I havn't been watching the site as much lately I've been in the garden a lot...thanks for the pictures I have some ideas for next year
    I already have my eye on a carol daphne mackie. Its pretty expensive ($50 here) but the strong smell in spring is amazing! Does anyone have any experience with these? At the cost I want to make sure I plant it at the right time in the right location.
    Thanks
    P.S. My grandmother is a big gardener and had two great cheap tricks for keeping the bugs out of her garden. 1. a small bowl with just plain old water and a few cigarette butts (I found it works great for earwigs) 2. if bugs are eating your leaves get a dollar store spray bottle and use water and a little dish soap and spray whenever you see bugs. Not sure why but it works. I had the little white bugs on my roses.

Page 19 of 149 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 69 119 ... LastLast

Thread Information