User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: How I save money on my animals: My tips

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Queen View Post
    If you have small rodents that eat hay, a good way to save money is to buy in bulk. Instead of paying $10 for a tiny bag of hay at a typical large-chain pet store, look for bulk stores or even farmers that will sell you the hay at a bulk price. When I had chinchillas I bought a bail of hay for $20, and in a pet store the quanity would cost upwards of $60 or more.

YESSS! That's one of the one's i forgot!!!! Also If you're buying holistic cat food or dog food, the price match works on those too!! Brands like Halo are sold in pet stores that will price match, Come to think of it any store that will price match should be able to price match pet smart's web site which advertises waaay cheaper than most stores. I also get pet store discount only the discount plus the price match makes me smile like an idiot every time I wander through cash

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Dog/Cat Beds - My cat LOVES his bed (it was actually a gift). He also has a "mattress" in his carrier that he sleeps on (towel folded inside a small pillow case). Lily has a "mattress" in her crate as well (blanket folded up inside a large pillow case) - it's far cheaper than a dog bed & much easier to wash.

Grooming - I have wash & go type pets, so I bathe them in the bathtub - Lily dog will happily jump in the tub for a cookie (tho she's not so happy when the water starts), Quincy cat needs a bit more persuasion. I use horse shampoo - much gentler (& cheaper!) than doggy shampoo.

Litter - for litter, we use pine shavings. I was allergic to the dust from commercial litters & this way I don't need an air freshener in the bathroom - it always smells like a forest. The small package costs about $5 at the Bulk Store & last us 2-3 months.

Treats - I bake my own cookies (I'm happy to share recipes if anyone is interested). They both get lots of "people food" (I'm not sure where the myth about pets geting fat & sick from it comes from, since I've not encountered that?).

Food - we do a combo of kibble & home-cooked (at least for the dog, the cat has decided my cooking isn't up to par ). For kibble, I stick to puppy/kitten food, since there is more protein (neither of my guys are overweight, so there's another myth debunked).

Paracite treatments - I have "city" pets who prefer to sit in the lap of luxury (even outside they prefer to sit on furniture), so we don't get the flea/tick/etc stuff from the vet. I do give Lily dog heartworm meds (one pill every 45 days, not the 30 days the scrip says), just cause I've seen what happens when a dog needs heartworm treatment (friend of a friend got a bad batch of meds & her poor dog had to suffer ).

Great thread, OP. Thanks for starting it.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Andit View Post
    Dog/Cat Beds - My cat LOVES his bed (it was actually a gift). He also has a "mattress" in his carrier that he sleeps on (towel folded inside a small pillow case). Lily has a "mattress" in her crate as well (blanket folded up inside a large pillow case) - it's far cheaper than a dog bed & much easier to wash.

Grooming - I have wash & go type pets, so I bathe them in the bathtub - Lily dog will happily jump in the tub for a cookie (tho she's not so happy when the water starts), Quincy cat needs a bit more persuasion. I use horse shampoo - much gentler (& cheaper!) than doggy shampoo.

Litter - for litter, we use pine shavings. I was allergic to the dust from commercial litters & this way I don't need an air freshener in the bathroom - it always smells like a forest. The small package costs about $5 at the Bulk Store & last us 2-3 months.

Treats - I bake my own cookies (I'm happy to share recipes if anyone is interested). They both get lots of "people food" (I'm not sure where the myth about pets geting fat & sick from it comes from, since I've not encountered that?).

Food - we do a combo of kibble & home-cooked (at least for the dog, the cat has decided my cooking isn't up to par ). For kibble, I stick to puppy/kitten food, since there is more protein (neither of my guys are overweight, so there's another myth debunked).

Paracite treatments - I have "city" pets who prefer to sit in the lap of luxury (even outside they prefer to sit on furniture), so we don't get the flea/tick/etc stuff from the vet. I do give Lily dog heartworm meds (one pill every 45 days, not the 30 days the scrip says), just cause I've seen what happens when a dog needs heartworm treatment (friend of a friend got a bad batch of meds & her poor dog had to suffer ).

Great thread, OP. Thanks for starting it.
    Yea, I don't quite understand the disconnect between dog and cat foods and then 'people foods'. Dogs or cats can go off 'kibble' foods if they get a taste of 'real food', but I don't blame them, I'm sure real food is better than the processed kibbles.
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

fish tanks-

instead of a python hose (cost 50$ depending on length) garden hose 20$ and faucet adapter 5$ old school siphon 6$ (make sure its hot water safe and run water through for a bit first

do NOT boil rocks for long they can crack and explode, drop vinegar on them if it fizzles do not use then soak in hot water, even a low water-bleach mix overnight to clean and you can use them.

rocks are the only place I cheap out my fish are the one thing I dont cheap out on too other than watching for sales and using big als

dogs, I dont buy "dog" beds a blanket is good enough, toys are old towles he loves em. I feed IAMs and use coupons on it
    dededi likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by justme1976 View Post
    fish tanks-

instead of a python hose (cost 50$ depending on length) garden hose 20$ and faucet adapter 5$ old school siphon 6$ (make sure its hot water safe and run water through for a bit first

do NOT boil rocks for long they can crack and explode, drop vinegar on them if it fizzles do not use then soak in hot water, even a low water-bleach mix overnight to clean and you can use them.

rocks are the only place I cheap out my fish are the one thing I dont cheap out on too other than watching for sales and using big als

dogs, I dont buy "dog" beds a blanket is good enough, toys are old towles he loves em. I feed IAMs and use coupons on it

Yeah I use a garden hose for my 120gallon because starting a siphon is MUCH easier when you can attach it to the faucet

I always find it safer to boil them, I've never had any kitchen explosions as far but I have been cautious of them. Its those pockets of air within the rocks you want to heat and crack though to kill any possible organisms which is why I prefer to bleaching. Plus I get paranoid because I would prefer to neutralize the bleach but then things get complicated.

I just hate IAMs so much, so much corn meal and other useless fillers! I'd rather hit up the grocery store But They do give out excellent coupons gotta love them for that!!
    dededi likes this.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

I have to admit I spend a lot on my cat and dog
    I feed my dog first mate. No other company is made in Canada and tells you where they get their raw ingredients from. And is protein only food. We use to use core wellness but now it is sold at large chain stores and they out sourced the vitamins and will not share where?? They just say international ??? Well enough said.
    I am switching the cat to that brand too. She only eats a quarter of a can in the am and maybe a cup of crunchie food at night per week. She is 14yrs old and we resued her and her last owner always gave her 4 treats when she ate dinner so we have done that too. I was buying TD for my dog cause she was getting tarter on her teeth--put they too use international sources!! She cannot have bones cause she gets nasty and narlie when she gets them(the only time) so I just don't give them to her so everyone is safer.
    As for nail: cat- declawed in the front and I use our nail clippers for the back
    dog: we use dog nail scissor like things at home. She just gives us her paw!

Treats: At Christmas everyone gives them treats and they last the whole year and then some
    And because the dog is on high protein food she gets a fruit or veggie a day

Beds: cat sleeps everywhere-no bed
    dog has a great bed from L.L.Bean with her name on it It is the best bed I wash it about once a week and everyone thinks it is new! It is 5 years old now! It was pricie but worth it

We go to the vet every other year for shots etc...

We wash our dog at home about once a month-- more if she has been swimming in the creek

We spend about $100 a month on them.
    dededi likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I am just starting to make Parrot toys for my sis. so far i have bottle caps, leather string (wonder if they can eat this? chains, wooden utensils, plastic baby rings.. anyone have other suggestions?
    dededi likes this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizabeth217 View Post
    Yeah I use a garden hose for my 120gallon because starting a siphon is MUCH easier when you can attach it to the faucet

I always find it safer to boil them, I've never had any kitchen explosions as far but I have been cautious of them. Its those pockets of air within the rocks you want to heat and crack though to kill any possible organisms which is why I prefer to bleaching. Plus I get paranoid because I would prefer to neutralize the bleach but then things get complicated.
    I have read about people boiling live rocks and releasing toxins into the air due to the microbes which inhabit the pores . And I have aso read about rocks exploding when boiled or even around a camp fire due to gases or water in the internal structure of the rock.

Boiling rocks isn't always the best solution to purifying rocks for aquarium usage. i prefer to get my live rocks from a reputable fish shop rather than try to make my own.

Rocks for my fresh or brackish tanks, I cover in close to boiling water and swap it out several times before leaving to dry for several days before adding to the tnks.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information