User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will you be spending less at SDM?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have already decreased my spending there because of the points stealing fiasco

35 28.69%
  • I will be spending less because i cannot combine points offers

43 35.25%
  • I will keep shopping at SDM the same as always

41 33.61%
  • points? what points???

3 2.46%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: Will the recent 'clawing back' of Optimum Points motivate you to spend LESS?

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

A few of you have noticed that SDM has been deleting points from recent shopping trips.
    It has been confirmed by SDM that they will no longer be allowing customers to combine Bonus points offers, meaning that an in-store or coupon BP offer cannot combined with a 20x points promotion.
    They haven't been been up front about this change, and claim that these have been the rules all along.
    They are going into individual accounts and manually deleting any doubling up of bonus points in single transaction. at least that is how i understand it.

There was no notice provided, that i know of.
    these are a couple of quotes from their facebook page.

"you can't combine any events in a single transaction and get all the applicable points."

"The rules regarding combining offers during a bonus points event changed May 26th. Previous to that date you were permitted to combine offers and receive all applicable points. As of May 26th, the rules have changed which is why some people are seeing the claw packs in your accounts. I hope this clarifies the new policy. Thanks."

my question is, have you or do you intend to decrease the amount of money you spend at SDM, even with all the bonus events?
    This thread is currently associated with: Pharmaprix, Shoppers Drug Mart
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

Ever since they stopped the kickback for Optimum Plus member and increased the required amount for the Plus membership, I've spent less and participated less in 20x points events at SDM. I would still shop there for good deals, for example, their milk is cheaper than most of the supermarkets in my area. But I have stopped collecting SDM points like crazy as I did before, especially they've devalued point value twice as far as I can remember. So basically, I don't see myself to shop less at SDM with their latest points clawbacks, as I already do not spend that much there anyways.
    Looking for a new car? Want to know what's dealer's base cost and current rebates to obtain the best deal? I have reports from Car Cost Canada to trade.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

We will shop there the same - which is weekly, sometimes twice a week, but never for much at a time. Usually just the Sun/Mon specials - most often tissues, TP, milk, cheese, some other food products. Sometimes OTC meds or HBA if on a good sale.

I don't think I've ever bought anything for bonus points - I guess they just haven't been things we use/need.
    I can't remember the last time I was able to take advantage of the 20x bonus points, for example, because so very often they are OOS on what was on my list that I never get to that total level at one store. Instead, we have to go to the three SDMs over the course of the week to get what's on my list!

I feel badly for those who got bonus points taken away, and was the case of the 'stolen' points ever solved?
    Any points program - not just the Optimum - states that the program can be altered without notice.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Tue, Jan 20th, 2015 at 08:16 AM.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

I said my shopping will stay the same only because I hardly if ever shop there!!! I've stockpiled almost everything they sell there when it has been on sale somewhere else. I have a hard time buying things for more then my rock bottom price whether I get SDM points along with it or not. That being said, if I've run out of something or am close to before my rock bottom sale comes again then I will do a 20x event. Its rare though. It would help greatly though if they kept sale items in stock as well.

There is a 20x event next week and I will probably be doing it as long as they have 8 downy unstoppables green bottle. (I've got a rain check!) Otherwise there will probably be no point for me.
    walkonby, ssbean and Anna Michele like this.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I shop at the place that has the best price, and points are usually the deal breaker. If SDM has the best price and also gives me points, I will go there. Example: last week, Freshco had Colgate toothbrushes on sale for the same price as SDM. I spent that money at SDM because they gave me points for it and Freshco would've given me nothing. But we still bought our groceries at Freshco (SDM doesn't have meat or a wide choice of veggies).

Also depends on what neighbourhood I'm in when I have time to shop. Ex: there's Chinatown fruit stands, SDM, Sobeys and Metro near my work. Freshco and Loblaws near my parents, etc.

Also, price matching stores mostly get our business.

EDIT: I should also mention that SDM has great clearances! Sometimes I'll just walk into one purely to check their clearance section, so they get my business that way too.

I've never used BP points so it really doesnt' matter to me
    Last edited by torontogal12; Sun, Jun 10th, 2012 at 03:12 PM.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Couponing Princess!
    Trading Score
    284 (100%)

The same, shopping there only when they have the GC promo.
    Add me on twitter and I'll add you back! Just mention you are from SC!

@hoppmichelle

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I will continue to shop at Shoppers for formula and diapers. We have to special order the formula since its a special needs formula and they always order it for me no problems. I also like the staff there. They know me and are very kind and never give me any hassle about coupons. When I go to a store that doesnt know me , they roll their eyes and question all my coupons. SDM takes them with no problem.
    Natalka, ssbean and Anna Michele like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You can still use upons to lower you total.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

Just to clarify, does it mean that we can't use manufacturer coupons during the 20 x points to bring down our oop to less than $50?
    ~Want to get FREE giftcards, paypal $$ and other awesome stuff? Well then join the thousands of others like me on SwagBucks!
    ~Join Listia for even more great FREE deals! You can PM me for help/more info!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    147 (100%)

I don't use many BP coupons, but if it states that it can't be combined - I can accept that. My problem is more with the ones that come automatically when you shop (buy this product, get these points…). If you get them, they should be yours.
    I also have issue with the advice an employee gives. I bought a cosmetics item on a 20x day because it was 20x and because the employee told me it comes with a gift with purchase including a few thousand shoppers points. SO… I bought it based on that info. Now they've taken them away. I didn't even see the 'coupon' to check the rules, she offered it, and keyed it in.
    To me, this is like buying a pair of running shoes and getting a free pair of socks, only to have them come to your house and take back the socks.
    I agree with everyone else - fix the system first. This is unfair. Most of us purchase things based on price, and BP factor into that decision. You can't change the price after purchase.
    I will be more careful about shopping there.
    It already bothers my that you can't ever exchange something without ruining all of your points. Sometimes you need to get a larger diaper size, or whatever, but the way their system is, you have to return and re-purchase. There should be some way to get around losing all of your points when you want to do a straight exchange.
    I think I've said enough

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

anisa, you probably already know my response. I sort of walked away from SDM after the Christmas mess. Two to three purchases since then and then the silly egg/bread combo penalizing families who use more than one of each. Anyways as PurpleBunny89 said, I will be spending about the same ( now that they have pulled this new trick with clawing back BP ) and that would be almost nil.

anisa, hcao, carlyincanada and 5 others like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

I'm being careful because of this recent change - I often pick up sale products that come with extra BP (not 10x or 20x but set amount of points with no coupon necessary) when I shop on 20x days. My feeling is that if that's now a no-no, they need to reprogram their computers, not go into people's Optimum accounts and claw those points back weeks later!

I love my Optimum points but I don't like how nervous they've made me about keeping what I have. Between last December's huge security problem and this ham-handed policy change, I will think very carefully about what I buy at SDM.

Savingyourhardearnedmoney
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I have spent less this year, mostly because of the prices. I still watch for deals and try and do some 20X the points days if there are enough on sale items I need to make it worthwhile. I am still saving for Christmas redemption and hoping for the GC promo.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

I was turned off after the pre-Christmas fiasco. But I also find that (a) I have a pretty decent stockpile; and (b) prices elsewhere have been so great this year that I can't justify buying a lot at SDM even when taking Optimum points into account. If I had babies and was buying diapers and formula, it might be different. I buy my make-up there (Smashbox and Lise Watier) on 20X days and I will shop there on 20X WUB $50 if, and only if, I can bring my total down significantly using coupons. This 'claw-back' situation is ridiculous.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information