User Tag List

Page 133 of 239 FirstFirst ... 33 83 123 131 132 133 134 135 143 183 233 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 1,995 of 3573
Like Tree4017Likes

Thread: All Purpose Politics and News Thread

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Well a gay conservative (wut? Means he hates women) has been kicked off Twitter for encouraging people to send actress Leslie Jones (Ghostbusters) pictures of apes because she's a tall black woman in a pro-woman movie, and he's whining about his right to free speech.

There's no right to hate.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/twitter-...ones-1.3686843

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Well there you go. Someone has apologized for the plagiarism gaffe, but I'm not sure they made things better:

Ms. McIver identified herself in an unusual statement posted on the Trump campaign’s website, hours after the chief strategist, Paul Manafort, said the issue was manufactured by the news media. And it breathed new life into a story now in its third day.

“In working with Melania on her recent first lady speech, we discussed many people who inspired her and messages she wanted to share with the American people,” Ms. McIver wrote.

“A person she has always liked is Michelle Obama,” she added.

“Over the phone,” Ms. Trump “read me some passages from Mrs. Obama’s speech as examples. I wrote them down and later included some of the phrasing in the draft that ultimately became the final speech. I did not check Mrs. Obama’s speeches. This was my mistake and I feel terrible for the chaos I have caused Melania and the Trumps as well as to Mrs. Obama. No harm was meant.”

She said that she had “offered my resignation to Mr. Trump and the Trump family but they rejected it,” and that “Mr. Trump told me that people make innocent mistakes and we learn and grow from these experiences.”
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/21/us...iver.html?_r=0

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    Well a gay conservative (wut? Means he hates women) has been kicked off Twitter for encouraging people to send actress Leslie Jones (Ghostbusters) pictures of apes because she's a tall black woman in a pro-woman movie, and he's whining about his right to free speech.

There's no right to hate.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/twitter-...ones-1.3686843

He still has his First Amendment right to free speech as the government isn't stopping him....It's a company who's making that decision..
    lecale likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Prominent journalist and critic of Vladimir Putin killed in a car bombing

• The 44-year old Belarusian-born journalist was murdered on Wednesday
    • He irked officials in Belarus and Russia before he moved to Ukraine
    • Sheremet worked for Ukraine's top online news website Ukrainska Pravda
    • The car he was driving was owned by its editor-in-chief Olena Prytula
    • An improvised explosive device was planted underneath the driver's seat

Ukrainian authorities are treating 44-year-old Pavel Sheremet's death as murder

Sheremet worked for the country's top online news website Ukrainska Pravda. The publication said he was about to drive to work to anchor a talk show on a local radio station when he was killed.
    The car was owned by the publication's editor-in-chief - Sheremet's partner - Olena Prytula.

During his career, the Belarusian-born journalist irked officials in Belarus and Russia before he moved to Ukraine in 2014 after making clear his opposition to Putin's policies on Ukraine.

The journalist was close to Russian opposition leader Boris Nemtsov who was gunned down outside the Kremlin last year.
    He described the slain politician as 'like my elder brother', and had blamed Moscow's secret services for involvement in the killing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3699229/Journalist-Pavel-Sheremet-killed-car-explosion-Kiev.html

@USEmbassyKyiv confirms that FBI investigators will assist their Ukrainian counterparts with @pavelsheremet murder case in Kiev.

Last edited by Natalka; Thu, Jul 21st, 2016 at 04:08 AM.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

seylz_gurl likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Ironic that some Republicans are now shaming Cruz for not endorsing Trump with the words "Your word is your bond"...Michelle Obama's words ripped by Melania.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

English Heritage : Include jousting as Olympic sport

A petition calling for jousting to be made an Olympic sport has been launched by English Heritage.
    The charity's jousting expert Dominic Sewell told BBC's Radio 5 live that the medieval pursuit was a "worldwide phenomenon that should be recognised".
    Only about 20 people in the UK joust competitively, but the charity said tournaments were held across the world.
    The International Olympic Committee (IOC) said it was "unaware" of any official request for its recognition.
    Olympic bid

For a sport to be included in the Olympic Games programme, it must be governed by an international federation, practised widely across the world, and meet other various criteria before being considered by the IOC's executive board.
    English Heritage said it had made an initial approach to the IOC and the Federation Equestre Internationale (FEI) - which governs all Olympic equestrian disciplines - as a first step on jousting's road to the Olympics.
    Jousting would need to be recognised by the FEI before it could be considered as an Olympic sport by the IOC, English Heritage said.

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    (Yes, this is the right place.)
    How complex all of this is - I've been following the situation some, but there is so much to be considered. I can see pros and cons...
    Natalka, it is not complex at all. Currently we are still in the EU until we sort out the exit strategy.

It is very simple really. Currently free trade benefits the EU, i.e. France, Spain, Denmark & Germany and to a lesser extent Holland. We import lettuce, tomatoes & oranges from Holland & Spain, bacon from Denmark & cars from France & Germany and we only export 30% to the EU, mainly parts they need to finish building the cars the export to us - how stupid is that, oh yes we also export to the EU the wings for the Airbus.

No free trade zone? OK with us, we are in a win, win situation we slap on import tariffs and watch the car industry in France, Spain & Germany implode. We can survive with the cars we manufacture in the UK, i.e. Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Datsun, Vauxhall, MGs plus all the other non EU manufactured vehicles.
    Natalka and DaveP like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by AddyB View Post
    Natalka, it is not complex at all. Currently we are still in the EU until we sort out the exit strategy.

It is very simple really. Currently free trade benefits the EU, i.e. France, Spain, Denmark & Germany and to a lesser extent Holland. We import lettuce, tomatoes & oranges from Holland & Spain, bacon from Denmark & cars from France & Germany and we only export 30% to the EU, mainly parts they need to finish building the cars the export to us - how stupid is that, oh yes we also export to the EU the wings for the Airbus.

No free trade zone? OK with us, we are in a win, win situation we slap on import tariffs and watch the car industry in France, Spain & Germany implode. We can survive with the cars we manufacture in the UK, i.e. Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Datsun, Vauxhall, MGs plus all the other non EU manufactured vehicles.
    But Britain does not have much of a food industry - think of WWII and how badly people ate because they had to depend on British-only agriculture. What if tariffs go up on all the food that is imported to the UK?

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by AddyB View Post

Nearly all the cars built in UK are owned by nonUK based companies which may well decide to relocate to other EU countries..The Uk population can't buy the 1.5 million cars produced a year and if the UK does slap tariffs on imported cars then you'll find exported cars will have tariffs added to them . I can't see BMW letting ot's Uk company happily under-mine it's global market..

There's nearly no steel industry as Tata are trying to sell their refineries due to a global slump in steel prices, no coal ...heck even the water and power companies are no longer owned by Britain..

Cornwall was begging for EU money
    less than a day after they voted to leave..

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...eave-ebbw-vale
    What’s the EU ever done for us?” Zak Kelly, 21, asks me this standing next to a brand new complex of buildings and facilities that wouldn’t look out of place in Canary Wharf. It’s not Canary Wharf, though, it’s Ebbw Vale, a former steel town of 18,000 people in the heart of the Welsh valleys, where 62% of the population – the highest proportion in Wales – voted Leave.

Even Kelly, who has just finished a training session on a brand new football pitch, backtracks slightly after asking that question. “Well, I know … they built all this,” he says, and motions his head at the impressive facilities that are all around us. “But we put in more money than we get out, don’t we?”
    We’re standing on the site of the old steelworks, a toxic industrial wasteland left rotting when the plant, once the biggest in Europe, finally closed in 2002. It’s now “The Works” – a flagship £350m regeneration project funded by the EU redevelopment fund and home to the £33.5m Coleg Gwent, where some of the 29,000 Welsh apprenticeships the European Social Fund pays for help young people learn a trade. Add in a new £30m railway line and £80m improvement to the Heads of the Valley road from other pots of EU money, and the town centre has just received £12.2m for various upgrades and improvements.
    Ebbw Vale, left devastated when the steelworks closed, has had more European money poured into it than perhaps any other small town in Britain. But according to the figures Kelly heard, “we get out £7m a year from the EU and we put in £19m”. Anyway, he says, “it was time for a change”.
    And change is now coming. But what it will mean for an area dependent on inward investment and with the highest unemployment in Wales – nearly 40% of people are either unemployed or not available for work – has yet to be seen. In the local fish and chip shop, Deborah Basini says that she voted Remain. “All my family did. I’m very worried about what’s going to happen to inward investment. I’m 60 – this isn’t going to affect me. It’ll be my grandchildren who are not yet born.” Her customers, however, thought differently. “There was only one word people had on their mind: immigration. They didn’t look at the facts at all.”

Are there any immigrants in Ebbw Vale? “No! Hardly any. And the ones there are are all working, all contributing. It’s just … illogical. I just don’t think people looked at the facts at all.”
    It’s a town with almost no immigrants that voted to get the immigrants out. A town that has been showered with EU cash that no longer wants to be part of the EU. A town that holds some of the clues, perhaps, in understanding quite how spectacularly the Remain message failed to land. There’s a sense of injustice that is far greater than the sum of the facts, and the political landscape has fractured and split. Zak Kelly says that many of his friends, in what is Nye Bevan’s old constituency, voted Ukip.

lecale likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

How Sobeys screwed up Safeway in a messy takeover that left empty shelves, massive losses, and drove customers away

http://business.financialpost.com/ne...customers-away

Like Target, empty shelves...like Target, they had troubles with the software system SAP.

SAP is amazingly powerful and is one of Loblaws greatest strengths...but it took them 10 years to get all their banners on it. I am convinced that companies that try to rush an implementation of this software, like Target and Sobeys, doom themselves. Go back to business school boys, I could have told you what you were doing was stupid! lol.
    seylz_gurl likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/...jul?li=AAggNb9

Another attack in Germany at a shopping centre involving gunmen. Suspects on the run. Number of people dead and injured. This follows last Friday's attack on a German train involving an axe rampage. Four people visiting from Hong Kong on the train were injured along with a local resident while fleeing and the attack in Nice. Acts of terrorism becoming a common occurrence now in Europe.
    Last edited by seylz_gurl; Fri, Jul 22nd, 2016 at 03:12 PM.
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

http://uk.businessinsider.com/jeremy...rnalist-2016-6

Jeremy Corbyn was paid by an Iranian state TV station that was complicit in the forced confession of a tortured journalist

http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview
    My amazon reviews, check them out sometime!

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Odious little toad.
    gryphon likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    Odious little toad.
    The fact that he wont step down when the people want him to, shows just how little he cares about the people
    Darth Penguin likes this.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview
    My amazon reviews, check them out sometime!

Page 133 of 239 FirstFirst ... 33 83 123 131 132 133 134 135 143 183 233 ... LastLast

Thread Information