User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Lucky to be alive... scary incident this past weekend..

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

This past weekend I was at my neighbour's cabin. She asked her husband and I, if we could go to the bush in the back, and pick some blueberries. We started to and suddently he yelled run!. I remember running and that was it. I woke up the next day in the hospital with a oxygen and iv's. I had no idea what happened when I 'woke' up. Apparently I was stung by hornets at least 30-40 times. Her husband about 20. I didn't make it to the doorway and collapsed. The neighbour beside them saw this cloud of angry hornets coming from the bush. Apparently he grabbed a hose to get them off of us. They dragged me into the cabin unconscious. I was told all of this once I woke up.

I carry an epi-pen because I have anaphylaxis allergy to wasps. The only thing was my epi-pen had expired! My neighbour tried using the pen but it didn't work and found out it expired after the face. I was rushed to the hospital. Apparently my face, neck, scalp, arms were really swollen and my neighbour didnt' recognize me at first.

Luckily her husband isn't allergic but they took him to the hospital as a precaution because he was swollen.

Turns out these were bald faced hornets. The nest was entangled in the bushes right next to the blueberry bush. Apparently the size of two to three soccer balls put together and has since been exterminated.

You gotta love family... my sister is in visiting from another Province. I haven't seen her for a long time. She and another family member called me a 'moron' for not checking the expiry on my epi-pen when I came home. They weren't joking either. Yah, I should have checked it but still something I wouldn't say to someone who could have lost their life and just walked in the door..

I'm glad I'm still alive!! And I have a new epi-pen.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by toban; Thu, Jun 28th, 2012 at 10:59 PM.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

toban, Hitting the "like " button does not mean that I liked what happened, you know that. I cannot believe how lucky you were to have survived! Thank goodness you passed out, maybe you would have freaked out more if you were flailing.
    I am trying to imagine myself in that situation, I do not have any allergies, but am petrified of bees, wasps,hornets. All of them

Well I bet you will always keep your Epi pen up to date now eh?

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Wow. What a fright that must've been for you an everyone else. Glad to hear you are ok.

Oh, and try to cut the family a teeny bit of slack. Sometimes when people are stressed, they say or do stupid things. It is possible your family calling you a "moron" was a panicked or fearful reaction to the idea that they could've lost you. *shrugs*
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Omg, I hate, hate, hate flying things, esp the ones that bite!! Honey bees are fine, but anything else, like a wasp, lordy, I'm gone like a shot! Ugh!
    Thank god you didn't have a more severe reaction to them and that you got to the hospital in time..
    btw...how far was the hospital from the cabin?
    I'm relieved to hear that you have a new epi-pen....!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Oh, what an awful thing to go through - glad you are okay now!

Trading Score
    182 (100%)

wow, i am glad you are ok...

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks everyone The nearest hospital is 40 min away. I have a severe reaction where my airways close up, can't breathe, anaphylaxis reaction. The doctor told me the next day that I have an extreme allergy to stings. I had to be taken by air ambulance (helicopter) to the city. My neighbour said my face, neck, head and arms were so swollen she didn't recognize me. I remember waking up the next day wondering where the hell I was and why I was in a hospital bed. Basically I was lucky the helicopter was handy since the ambulances were tied up at the hospital 45 min away. I was told I came close to death. But I guess I have nine lives!

My sister and I don't have the closest relationship, she's always picked at me, so doesn't surprise me... oh well let it in one ear and out the other, lol

Couponing Princess!
    Trading Score
    284 (100%)

Oh wow, that's a pretty scary experience! I can't deal with flying insects of any kind, I freak out and run like the wind, but to have an allergic reaction and have to go through that... I'm glad you're okay.

Yesterday morning I got into the passenger side of our car and closed the door, and then I saw it, there right in front of me, was a wasp moving around on the inner window shield.

I screamed, opened the door, and bolted from the car. My husband who was in the driver seat, getting ready to reverse the car heard me scream, saw me bolt and freaked out.

He didn't know what was wrong because I forgot to yell "wasp! save yourself" before I bolted.
    Add me on twitter and I'll add you back! Just mention you are from SC!

@hoppmichelle

The ONLY Diva of SC! saveadollardiva's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

OMG I hope you get better soon!
    gameprogirl and hollyquaiscer like this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

oh wow!

glad you had some quick thinkers there with you. i bet never in a million years would have guessed something like that would happen!
    gameprogirl and hollyquaiscer like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

I'm so glad you are alright! What a shock that must have been for you...and your neighbour that helped you. I thank God for the quick thinking of people when there is an emergency, they save lives for sure. Rest up, you will need it.
    gameprogirl likes this.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Oh my goodness, what a scary thing for you and all your friends who helped you! The coincidences which put that air-ambulance close by really saved you! Take it easy and heal. I always find when I 've had an allergic reaction that I am overly sensitive to a lot of things for a while. I'm sure that everyone around you will take very good care of you! Wishing you all the best!
    gameprogirl likes this.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Wow I don't even know what to say - Holy cow - Thank goodness you are ok - and good thing you don't remember! But most of all you're okay as for everything else - it is what it is - I realized long ago that my shoulders were rounded so all the "crap" can just roll off! Enjoy your long weekend and buy your blueberry's at the market next time.
    gameprogirl likes this.

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Sooooooo glad you're OK!! I'm just as bad, if it makes you feel better. Was gardening yesterday when the thought occured to me my epi-pen was long expired Life is just so full of Stinkin' details, don't ya think?!
    gameprogirl likes this.

I GOT GAME, DO YOU? gameprogirl's Avatar
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

I'm so glad your ok. That's a scary experience. We just discovered a nest being built on our fence, it's three feet by a foot in size. It just appeared there over the afternoon and there has got to be thousands of em. I got it on video, I walked right up to the nest lol, my hubby was mad.
    Join Ebates for cashback on all purchases!
    http://www.ebates.ca/referrer?referrerid=Hm3B6tvDY78%3D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information