User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: No Recycling: In apartment building

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

My rant is about New Brunswick. Other provinces are encouraged to recycle, compost etc. When I lived in rural and metro Nova Scotia and when I lived in rural (cottage country) Ontario both were picked up at the curb.

I move to New Brunswick and recycling is next to impossible, and forget about composting. I cannot believe in this day and age a province that is so backwards in the recycling department.

When I lived in Rural New Brunswick, I can understand they don't do the recycling pick-up ( far distance between houses etc) so, you need to drive to a drop off box. Compost, you can do that in your backyard. Okay I get it, I guess. The closest deposit box for recycling was about 15 minute drive away.

I live in the provincial capitol, and for one to do recycling, you need to gather them up and drive them to a depot. The closest depot is a fair distance from where I live. I haven't found a drop off box in my neighborhood. I live in a large apartment building, 120 apartments, and the building does not do recycling. I asked the super, and she stated, the building management doesn't invest in recycling, so it would be all up to her, and she doesn't have the time, with all her other responsibilities.

Why is this province to backwards when it comes to recycling and compost. I know I sound like a hippie, I got used to recycling and composting.

Even when you can find a recycling deposit box, the slots are so small. I liked to just gather all my recycling, sorted into the large blue bags, but the boxes don't accept the blue bags, so we end up opening up the blue bags and firing the recycling in bottle by bottle, small bundle of paper etc. When you have a large amount gathered it takes a while. Often I found the bins were overflowing and not emptied regularly where I lived as well.

It is frustrating. End Rant.
    This thread is currently associated with: Guess, Metro
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Trading Score
    412 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by matrix82 View Post
    My rant is about New Brunswick. Other provinces are encouraged to recycle, compost etc. When I lived in rural and metro Nova Scotia and when I lived in rural (cottage country) Ontario both were picked up at the curb.

I move to New Brunswick and recycling is next to impossible, and forget about composting. I cannot believe in this day and age a province that is so backwards in the recycling department.

When I lived in Rural New Brunswick, I can understand they don't do the recycling pick-up ( far distance between houses etc) so, you need to drive to a drop off box. Compost, you can do that in your backyard. Okay I get it, I guess. The closest deposit box for recycling was about 15 minute drive away.

I live in the provincial capitol, and for one to do recycling, you need to gather them up and drive them to a depot. The closest depot is a fair distance from where I live. I haven't found a drop off box in my neighborhood. I live in a large apartment building, 120 apartments, and the building does not do recycling. I asked the super, and she stated, the building management doesn't invest in recycling, so it would be all up to her, and she doesn't have the time, with all her other responsibilities.

Why is this province to backwards when it comes to recycling and compost. I know I sound like a hippie, I got used to recycling and composting.

Even when you can find a recycling deposit box, the slots are so small. I liked to just gather all my recycling, sorted into the large blue bags, but the boxes don't accept the blue bags, so we end up opening up the blue bags and firing the recycling in bottle by bottle, small bundle of paper etc. When you have a large amount gathered it takes a while. Often I found the bins were overflowing and not emptied regularly where I lived as well.

It is frustrating. End Rant.
    I also live in Fredericton and I must say that I agree. I used to live in an older home on York St that was divided into 3 units, The recycling truck came by every week so we used our gray and blue bins. I loved it, but now I live in a Condo on the Northside and we do not get regular recycling pick up. I assume this is because we throw our garbage in a barn at the end of our driveway and Truis picks it up once a week. If they can do that, I don't know why that cannot offer recycling pick up.
    matrix82 likes this.
    Quickly & Easily Earn FREE $$ or Giftcards with Swagbucks.com

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I had no idea they had none where you are matrix? WE have been forced to do it for so long, that now it WOULD seem so weird not to.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

I'd cry. I'm no tree hugger or environmentalist but recycling is the biggest way I help our planet (I do small other things too!) and if I couldn't ... well I just wouldn't be able to throw cans and plastic in the trash. I guess its because I was raised with recycling, there never was a time (that I can remember) in which we didn't recycle. I'm 22.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I'm in Fredericton, New Brunswick.
    Use this link

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Saskatoon is just getting mandatory curbside recycling this upcoming January.

Right now, there are a few curbside recycling programs, but they are pricey. We are in a duplex, but know they do do apartment buildings as well.

Since we have moved here, we just go to the depots when we can.

Maybe it's something you can raise with your city councillor and/or city council -to have more depots available for multi-family units.
    matrix82 and hollyquaiscer like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    57 (100%)

You don't sound like a hippy (although there is nothing wrong with that! LOL) Recycling is such a HUGE part of life these days, I can't believe there are still provinces that aren't taking the initiative. You should definitely bring it up with your city council.
    hollyquaiscer likes this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Thank you, for the suggestion, I will have a talk with a local counsellor for the area (just need to find out who that is). I just can't believe in this day and age large apartment complexes aren't required to recycle. The depot is about 6 kms one way away, which is a fair distance for times when I don't have a vehicle.

It makes it completely inaccessible for someone without a vehicle. As lets be serious, are you going to take bags of recycleables on a city bus, wait at the bus station to transfer to another bus to get to the depot and then bus back?
    Use this link

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    I had no idea they had none where you are matrix? WE have been forced to do it for so long, that now it WOULD seem so weird not to.
    Yes.

In Durham region, we have the blue bin for paper, blue bin for plastics and cans, green bin for cardboard egg cartons and kitchen scraps, yard bags for yard waste, our plastic garbage can for garbage (sea gull problem, sometimes) and, curb side electronics pick up if you call them.

Our garbage is picked up every other week and the recycling stuff is every week.
    hollyquaiscer likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My previous apartment building in Toronto had no recycling. I just threw everything in the garbage bins outside. My current building has a recycling room with bins for paper, glass, electronics, etc.

I think a lack of recycling options is the fault of lazy building management and has nothing to do with the region you live in.
    matrix82 likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

couldnt you save up everything in your blue box and take it out on recycling day and put by the curb beside a house they would be picking up from?
    join my superpoints network and get gifts card for amazon , or paypal, or rewards.
    http://superpoints.com/refer/skid13_mm
    http://www.surveysavvy.com/?m=4263495

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

jessep, the problem with that would be that that other household would be paying for the service...

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

oh i didnt realize that. Maybe start a petition, and once enough people sign it the city will do something about it.
    matrix82 likes this.
    join my superpoints network and get gifts card for amazon , or paypal, or rewards.
    http://superpoints.com/refer/skid13_mm
    http://www.surveysavvy.com/?m=4263495

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    My previous apartment building in Toronto had no recycling. I just threw everything in the garbage bins outside. My current building has a recycling room with bins for paper, glass, electronics, etc.

I think a lack of recycling options is the fault of lazy building management and has nothing to do with the region you live in.

I live in a 122 suite condo building. I own my suite. Lack of recycling in NOT because the management is lazy. I'm on our condo board, and we have discussed this many times. We do have a huge bin for recycled paper products and cardboard, however to opt in to the city's recycling program for all other items, would cost us $987.45 per MONTH!!! That would mean an increase in everyones condo fees. Since fee's are raised almost every year due to utility increases, the owners would be hard pressed to take another hike to pay for recycling (about 25% of our condo, the owners rent the suites out).
    That could be the reason your condo doesn't have recycling. Having said that, we have a recycle station only 5 blocks from where I live so it's easy to drop off my cans and such. Calgary has a fabulous recycle program for single family dwellings (including duplexes and fourplexes and townhomes) of coarse added to their monthly bill. they have a huge blue garbage bin (would hold about 4 black garbage bages inside it), it is place along side the black bin (regular garbage) and picked up by the city.

I'm shocked that your province is so far behind, but maybe it is a money issue. Having said that, you would think they could at least establish more recycling stations in communitys and encourage everyone to use them.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    Yes.

In Durham region, we have the blue bin for paper, blue bin for plastics and cans, green bin for cardboard egg cartons and kitchen scraps, yard bags for yard waste, our plastic garbage can for garbage (sea gull problem, sometimes) and, curb side electronics pick up if you call them.

Our garbage is picked up every other week and the recycling stuff is every week.
    Forgot to mention that my friend in Toronto has a grey bin for meat scraps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information