User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Issues with Dollarama

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I recently purchased a bath sponge for my son and he was badly scratched by the rope that the sponge hangs from. The end of the rope had a very pointy end and when he was washing his face it left a bad gash beside his eye. I am going to contact Health Canada but I was curious to know if anyone else had had a similar experience? I have always loved Dollarama but I am really not happy right now.
    This thread is currently associated with: Dollarama

Trading Score
    182 (100%)

OMG i hope your son is ok, i hardly go to Dollarama i find WM has better quality for almost the same price if not cheaper (sometimes). I wouldn't buy food, personal hygiene stuff from DR
    hollyquaiscer, GoJays and AnnieP like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think most of dollaramas stuff, has issues with it and thats why its there. Maybe not noticable issues, but the companies were not able to pass them off as being "ok" so dollarama gets them. Although I do love dollarama there are certain things i wont buy there, because of this reason. So while thats absolutly horrible that this has happened, and thank goodness it didnt hit his eye! im not sure if health canada can do anything. Maybe you could call dollarama?
    hollyquaiscer likes this.
    join my superpoints network and get gifts card for amazon , or paypal, or rewards.
    http://superpoints.com/refer/skid13_mm
    http://www.surveysavvy.com/?m=4263495

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I had a similar issue with a loofah I purchased there......but have had the same issue with loofahs purchased elsewhere too. I got a decent scratch (not on my face) from the string/rope ends where they had used glue/or maybe burned the ends? so that they don't come apart/unravel. Usually I can figure out a way to move the ends closer inside the loofah or double knot them and cut the rough part off all together.

Thankfully my scratch was only on my arm.....sorry to hear your son got one on his face :S
    hollyquaiscer likes this.

Trading Score
    424 (100%)

Oh my! Poor little guy. Do you know who manufactured it?.. I'd be calling them.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I haven't bought a lofa there, but I learned to be very careful about what to purchase there years ago when I bought an oven mitt from them for my first apartment and it melted the first time I used it!
    hollyquaiscer and nightlite like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I bought a pack of sponges from Dollarama to clean my dishes with. The kind shown in the picture below.

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-t...a-dish-sponge/

Guess what the whole colour fron the green scrubbing surface is leaking. The leaked colour looks very toxic and like paint. Now I don't want to clean my dishes with it as the leaked colour which is poisonous will go in my stomach.

If I just dip the sponges in water for a few seconds, not even in a dish detergent the whole container becomes bluish green in colour

Its just some cheap made in china crap
    matrix82, AnnieP and jessep13 like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    I bought a pack of sponges from Dollarama to clean my dishes with. The kind shown in the picture below.

Guess what the whole colour fron the green scrubbing surface is leaking. The leaked colour looks very toxic and like paint. Now I don't want to clean my dishes with it as the leaked colour which is poisonous will go in my stomach.

If I just dip the sponges in water for a few seconds, not even in a dish detergent the whole container becomes bluish green in colour

i noticed that too with their sponges.
    join my superpoints network and get gifts card for amazon , or paypal, or rewards.
    http://superpoints.com/refer/skid13_mm
    http://www.surveysavvy.com/?m=4263495

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post

I've bought these too, never had the issue you are describing, though the scrubby part falls off within 2-3 washes. Sometimes the scrubby top layer has soap built into it, double check your packaging and see if that 'green goo' was supposed to be detergent.
    krysta lynne likes this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I haven't had any problem with items from DR. But I do take into account that it is cheap stuff and not the best quality.Shouldn't be surprised that something could happen. Sorry to hear of your son, hope he gets better soon!
    PurpleBunny89 likes this.
    Just call me Wolfie

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by abbasgirl View Post
    I haven't bought a lofa there, but I learned to be very careful about what to purchase there years ago when I bought an oven mitt from them for my first apartment and it melted the first time I used it!
    I had the same experience. Bought my oven mitts there and nearly burned my hands using them the first time. Never again. I'll pay extra to ensure they're well made.
    abbasgirl and hollyquaiscer like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by nightlite View Post
    I had the same experience. Bought my oven mitts there and nearly burned my hands using them the first time. Never again. I'll pay extra to ensure they're well made.
    Yep. I've heard other horror stories about the dollar store oven mitts too. I don't know how they can get away with selling them. No other store would be able to. They are a huge safety hazard!

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by abbasgirl View Post
    Yep. I've heard other horror stories about the dollar store oven mitts too. I don't know how they can get away with selling them. No other store would be able to. They are a huge safety hazard!
    I've been tempted with their cheap prices for mitts but I realised that if I waited for a good sale that it wouldn't be much more to get really good ones.

A week or so ago Kitchen Stuff Plus had two oven mitts on sale for $9.99 together. They are silicone full gloves and with the fabric inside. They are pretty good considering the price and quality. Usually you find mitts like these sold seperately and $10 just for one! Was definitely worth waiting and using my burner ring'd ones that were litteraly falling apart. Also, if you buy silicone they last way longer then fabric ones so you save money that way too!
    Priceisright likes this.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

http://hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/advisorie.../index-eng.php

In case you want to report the incident, OP, there's the information. I think if HC gets enough reports of a similar product or nature, there *might* be some kind of news or release. But don't hold your breath. Might be an idea to cc: the store chain HQ on the Health Canada incident report so that someone there will be aware of the concern.

The one thing that Health Canada keeps dealing with is the lead levels in kids' jewellery--but it seems that HC can only put out advisories or warnings and I believe there may be other gov't laws that apply to lead. The actual companies making the items probably don't do testings as they are located outside of Canada.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I can't thank you all enough for your replies. I have been in contact with Dollarama and they told me it was "user error". This infuriated me. The representative told me that my daughter's injury is the only one that has been reported. Health Canada has opened up a case report but as of right now my daughter is still the only victim (hardly reassuring). Speckled...I don't suppose there is any way you would fill out a compaint? I know they would take the matter much more seriously if there was more then one individual who was affected. The form is here http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/advis...-ricpc-eng.php Unfortunately until there is another incident I don't think anything can or will be done. All my husband and I can do is hope that there is not a more serious laceration (I cringe to think what will happen if this product comes in contact with a childs eye- or somewhere even more sensitive). Thank you all again for your feedback. This entire ordeal has been very upsetting
    Ciel likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information