User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Protecting your money at the car shop

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

Wow. It seems that car dealerships are more intent on trying to separate customers from their money than ever.

Took my car in to the local Honda dealership to have the front end looked at (front wheels were out of alignment, causing a slight tire squeal when cornering). It's a 2001 Acura, it's in good shape, and I plan to sell it in the next 2-3 months (and I've told the service department this). I bought it new, and in 11 years, it's never had a mechanical breakdown. I do the regular required maintenance on it, so I couldn't believe the list of "recommendations" I was given today. I figure the work they wanted me to do today would be worth at least $2500 (and possibly significantly more). The car is only worth about $4000! At that rate, I'd recover more money by parting out a perfectly good car and selling the body for scrap metal!

Here's the list:

Replace center (third) brake light
    bulb
    Replace automatic transmission fluid and filter
    Replace brake fluid
    Replace power steering fluid
    Perform cooling system service
    Replace spark plugs
    Replace air filter element
    Replace cabin/HEPA micro filter
    Inspect serpetine belt (drive belts) Found all drive belts
    damaged/cracked
    • Replace timing belt
    • Replace all drive drive belts
    Inspect suspension components Found front shock absorber(s)
    weak
    • Perform four wheel alignment
    • Replace front shock absorbers
    Inspect overall brake wear and condition Found front brakes require
    service
    • Perform rear brake serve (clean
    and adjust)
    • Perform front brake and caliper
    service (clean and lubricate)

The weird thing is, many of these things have been done in the last couple of years (including the timing/serpentine belt), and I don't usually put more than 15,000 km on in a year. I asked the service advisor about that, and he said that he didn't have access to previous service information (Even though all the work is done at that particular dealership!) They suggest most things based on time/km without looking to see what's already been done, and don't actually check to see if fluids are dirty and in need of replacement. So, someone who doesn't know much about cars or the maintenance they've had done could be replacing their serpentine belt and having a transmission flush every time they go in for an oil change, as they don't seem to take the items off of the list once they've been done! I had a complete brake job done two years ago, and haven't had any indication of a problem with them.

Anyway, my husband was so shocked by the list that he went down there to ask them to show him the "damaged/cracked" drive belts and the "weak shocks", and they were unable to point out a problem with them. In the end, we paid a reduced inspection fee of $39.99 and brought the car home.

I'm taking the car to a small independent shop next week to have a safety done. We'll fix what they come back with as problems and have the alignment done.

Just wanted to warn people to be careful at dealerships -- make sure you know the service intervals at which things really need to be done (like timing belts), and keep copies of your service records so you know what's been done and when. Ask to be shown the problems with parts they're telling you to replace if you've never had any indication of a problem. It seems they're out to trick people into doing far more "maintenance" than they need to.

And to think I was planning on buying a brand-new (loaded) CRV from this dealership!
    This thread is currently associated with: Independent
    matrix82, Natalka and cath007 like this.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

My neighbor marked his oil filter and a few other things before he went to the dealer to get some work done. Sure enough they said they changed those parts and when he looked, they were still the same parts he marked, so he went back and had a fit on them!
    I have a fleet card, so I dont pay for repairs at the dealer, but twice in a span of 6 months they changed all three wipers at 50 each, saying they were unsafe. Last inspection I had him write in the work order to not touch the wipers. Every repair bill is in the neighborhood of $1800. Even though I dont pay, it doesnt matter, they are robbers!!
    Natalka, Minou and cath007 like this.
    Do you want to buy and sell Bitcoin? Sign up for Ndax to buy and sell bitcoin in Canada. Other altcoins available on the platform too! Quick, simple and secure.!. Have a look around. https://one.ndax.io/bfQb65

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I use a local garage for all my car related stuff.

The owner is great..I've been under all of our cars to be shown what work needed to be done, old parts are given to me to show what went wrong, heck he even showed Penginette 1(14) the underside of my van and told her the names of various parts and whta they did.

I would never use a dealership except for recall issues.
    Natalka and cath007 like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I would reccomend going to the dealership. It's unfortunate that this happened to you. When you purchase a vehicle they provide you with a maintance menu which is basically a breakdown of suggested service by mileage. Your dealership totally tried to screw, they absolutely have a service history. If your car is under any type of extended warranty a dealership is the only place you should go in order to maintain that warranty.Their mechanics are specifically trained to deal with your vechile. Should your vechile have a recall the dealership is also well prepared to deal with it.

Dealerships make money with repeat customer who in turn purchase new vehicles. I would be more wary of a independent mechanic who is not kept in the loop about warranties and recalls, not speciffically trained, and has less to lose in terms of sales business. Furthermore you can contact Honda Canada, the dealership can be held accountable for mistreating you. A lone mechanic can not.

Best of luck with your car, let us know how it goes.
    matrix82, Minou and cath007 like this.
    Melissa Boucher

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

My sister took her Honda in for routine maintenance and she was quoted a long list too. She called my husband in shock and asked whether she should get all that work done. My husband went through each point and told her what was necessary and what could wait. They really try to scare people, especially women, who don't know much about cars.

We took our van into a shop that was highly recommended by one of DH's co-workers and this guy bilked us to the tune of $4500, the van was only worth about $7K at the time! We paid it, but lesson learned...make sure you know what is being repaired and what really needs to be repaired. This guy had the van up on the hoist and called DH in to inform him of other things that needed doing.

Btw, I called him personally and tore a strip off him...told him that I felt like he ripped us off and would tell everyone I knew to avoid his place. My husband was mortified but I felt better.
    matrix82, Minou, cath007 and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

I'm looking forward to sharing the story with my brother... he was a Honda mechanic who worked at this shop up until about a year ago -- in fact, he's examined the vehicle lately, and he's so impressed with the condition of my car that he's thinking about buying it when I sell. He says that the year and model I have is incredibly reliable.

I'm really considering writing a letter to the service manager and sending a copy to Honda Canada. There's something seriously wrong with their system.
    matrix82, anisa and cath007 like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Very good reminder for others!
    cath007 likes this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I agree with the above posters about putting a complaint into Honda Canada. They should have a record of your service that has been done.

I've only owned a car for three years, but in going to different dealerships they have been able to access my records as they keep a record of work that has been done.

I wouldn't go back to that dealership, they sound sketchy. I've had a good experience with Honda so far. Going to four different dealerships, one in ontario, one in nova scotia and two in New Brunswick. They've all been good. The rural NB dealership was the best though, lower prices for services, and quicker service than the metro shops.
    cath007 likes this.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Like Darth Penguin, we don't go to the dealer for our service. We use a reputable licensed mechanic.
    We learned a long time ago. The dealer said we needed new brakes. But the brakes were fine, we thought.

We went to a brake shop and they said there was no problems with the brakes and that we had at least 8 months left on them. The brake shop did not charge us.

We complained to the car company head office and never went back to any dealership for service after that.

Our car runs fine - for years.
    matrix82, anisa, cath007 and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

So, in my e-mail inbox this morning, there's an e-mail about a "30-second Satisfaction Survey" from the Honda dealership.
    matrix82, anisa and cath007 like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Reminds me of the time right after warranty when DW brings the truck in for an oil change .. they tell her she needs tie rod ends and now!! She tells them that she`s brought the vehicle in for 3 years of maintenance and paid for the "piece of mind" service and now 5k after warranty they notice?? Then she tells them that it`s a "truck with 4x4" capable of off roading and NOW you notice a problem .. well you get the idea, she went on and on and on ... all I could do was laugh as she recounted what she put them through .. even people on the sales floor were looking in ... finally the salesman (owner`s son) that we know personnally went and talked to the service manager and all was taken care of under warranty. Yeah we still go there, but you should see the way we`re treated now. I still chuckle when I think of it.
    I usually go to the dealer till the warranty is done, then its a reliable and trusted shop, but he`s getting ready to retire, so I dunno aftr that.
    sry to hear what happened tho
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
    I have nothing to do today and hope to be half done by noon.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

how sad that a dealership would risk ruining their rep. by misleading a customer.

they don't sound much better than canadian tire shops, eek.

i had an experience at a Mr. lube where i kept saying no to various liquid fillups on my car. i just wanted my oil change, we have everything else at home and either i or hubby can do all that stuff. well, in a huff he comes over to show me my transmission fluid stick (he hadn't even mentioned tran fluid yet) and says aggressivly "well you've been saying no, no, no to everything, look at your transmission fluid, it's low"

well, i went home, googled and learned how to properly check it and then did so myself. i found nothing wrong. in fact the next oil change hubby took it to the private mechanic and he said everything was fine.

i have a feeling these franchise type places are just too money hungry. in fact my brother worked at a mr lube years ago on vancouver and he said they were expected to sell the customers all sorts of stuff they didn't need.

i have taken my car to the dealership a couple of times, only when i knew what i specificly needed done. at that time the mechanic we were going to was a bit of a flake and unreliable.

now we have a very nice, reliable and honest mechanic. thank God!
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

They are called Stealerships for a reason .
    cath007 likes this.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

You know my dear beloved mother had in the time a Mazda Protegé 2001...and one time she had a job to do and the mecanician did things she as not asked for..and put the bill up without consulting her..and its not the first time I heard those things...her college who had a mazda had the same problems....so ...said what you want to be done and stick to that with the compagny...those compagnies abuse and put the price higher and do more things that you ask...later when I will have a car and drive licence..I will go to my father mecanician...very cheap one and professionnal..not charging incredible time price...and explain everything...compare to compagny who think we are idiot and believe everything...same thing with canadian tire...crazy piece and time price to make profit.....
    Last edited by cath007; Mon, Jul 30th, 2012 at 03:19 AM.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Go to a mecanician you trust and they can order pieces too OR better a friend mecanician ...hope I will have this chance later

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information