User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: American Pronunciations

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
    Isn't Toronto the 3rd or 4th largest city in America?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I love this. I took linguistics at university and I heart it so much.

The word pronunciation that bothers me the most is "nitch." Don't you mean niche? It is derived from a French word. One time someone said that to me and I was like "WTF is that word." Coupon is also French, so it's definitely "KOO-pon" not "KYOO-pon." My husband used to live in the U.S. and whenever I'd visit I would be in dialect examination heaven lololol

I also hate "click" when they really mean "clique" Pron: kl-EEK as in group of friends.

Just a short drive to Buffalo from Toronto (2 hours) but it's another world linguistically.

Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

We really notice that thing they call the "Northern City Shift" in North Dakota/Minnesota when we visit... While most pronunciations tend to be similar to those on the Canadian prairies, in some words, there's kind of a whiny nasal drawl produced with the mouth drawn into a straight line from ear to ear and added to the vowels in certain words. "pAAAHHNts", "yeeeah". It almost sounds like they're trying to be too casual, or that there's a New York/New Jersey influence creeping in. To our ears, the difference is immediately recognizable.

At Wal-Mart, I heard a woman saying she was looking for "ToMAHTO Juice". I did a double take, thinking, perhaps, that she was looking for Clamato juice, but realizing that it didn't sound right.

A few years ago in a restaurant in North Dakota, we overheard a college girl at the table next to us talking to her aunts. It seemed like they were all from North Dakota, and that the girl was home from college for the summer. Well, when the girl was telling a story that involved a roof and she pronounced it "ruuuhf", her aunts broke into uncontrollable laughter. I guess her college was a little further south!

My husband thinks it's funny that I pronounce the word "Mom" Mum. He thinks the pronunciation should be "Mohm", but I suspect that's an American pronunciation. Funny -- as a kid, I never did think that a lot of Sesame Street sounded right.

I've had people from Eastern Canada say that the speech of people on the prairies sounds kind of clipped.
    DaveP likes this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Minou View Post
    I've had people from Eastern Canada say that the speech of people on the prairies sounds kind of clipped.
    Nah, not clipped. Some of you are a bit sarcastic though...

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Minou View Post
    My husband thinks it's funny that I pronounce the word "Mom" Mum. He thinks the pronunciation should be "Mohm", but I suspect that's an American pronunciation.

I use both depending on how intimate I want to be and the company I'm speaking with and the subject, of course. Mom is generic, mum is intimate. Nothing wrong with saying mom, but when I say mum, it means I'm showing some small part of what she means to me.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    I use both depending on how intimate I want to be and the company I'm speaking with and the subject, of course. Mom is generic, mum is intimate. Nothing wrong with saying mom, but when I say mum, it means I'm showing some small part of what she means to me.
    I spell it Mum and say Mum.When I was elementary school most of the kids in my class were pressuring me to spell it Mom on Mothers Day card we were making that the teacher had to explain Mum is a European way of spelling Mom.
    FallenPixels and DaveP like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    40 (100%)

My husband says q-pon. It's so weird and kind of annoying.

I'm going to be moving to Massachusetts soon, so I'm excited to see what the pronunciation of words will be there!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RebeccaRYoung View Post
    My husband says q-pon. It's so weird and kind of annoying.

I'm going to be moving to Massachusetts soon, so I'm excited to see what the pronunciation of words will be there!
    "We're leaving the ap-ah-tment, taking the cahh, and going to the h-ah-bah"
    lol
    Natalka, Patty Smyth and mydusty like this.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Oh my gosh Q-pon will be the death of me. I got in a slight argument (it was mostly one sided, my side) with a cashier at Kitchen Stuff Plus when he asked for my "Q-pon". Something to the affect of we are Canadian we don't pronounce it that way yadda yadda yadda. It was funny afterwards but I hate that word so much. Its CU-pon. Say it right.

I always write Mom but I pronounce it both ways; Mum and Mom.

The one DH and I make fun of the most on TV is Vee-hickle. Just call it a car if you have to!!!
    wolfwoman likes this.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Oh yes and the reason why I came here, I read it at Marry-Ott
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    180 (100%)

One of my best friends is in Wisconsin, and I swear, whenever I visit, I can't say "Canada" right for 2 weeks after I get home!

It's more like: Qeeaanada

Driving directions consist of things like: "j'st go threw the stap n' go, right by th' Citgo" which translates to "just go through the stoplight at the intersection where the Citgo gas station is"

I thought the 'stop and go' (pronounced 'stap n' go') was a convenience store or something. :S
    DaveP likes this.
    Raisin cookies that look like chocolate chip cookies are one of the main reasons I have trust issues.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I always pronounce it caramel, and was a bit confused when a waitress at Friendly's once told us they had carmel sundaes.

Also the word route. I tend to pronounce it like the word "root" but often hear it pronounced like rah-oot.

I just checked on www.m-w.com, (online dictionary with sound clips that pronounce the word you look up) they have both pronunciations for both words, so I guess everyone's right!

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Hmm, live and learn I guess. I always thought it was MarryOTT too. Of course, I spent a lot of time doing customer service over the phone for American companies so I sound pretty American - in a bland American TV/northern states way.

ETA: Though I can switch into Cape Bretonese at the drop of a hat that would leave most of you baffled.

haddaway an sh!te, hinnyman. I canna uderstan when thou talk fancy like that.Whyay man, i just need an Aris with my skin or possibly a Ruby before going down the apples to the rubber..luk chuck, its grate
    Last edited by Darth Penguin; Sun, Jul 29th, 2012 at 11:25 PM.
    alicia and wolfwoman like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

nu-cu-lar <----- made me want to hammer Bush every time he said it, it's nuclear

eta - I always thought it was marry-ott too
    Last edited by Patty Smyth; Mon, Jul 30th, 2012 at 08:20 AM. Reason: eta
    GoJays, Darth Penguin and alicia like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    nu-cu-lar <----- made me want to hammer Bush every time he said it, it's nuclear

eta - I always thought it was marry-ott too
    Oh my gosh, yes! I am a chemist and the students at the university that say this drive me bonkers... I correct them every time.
    Blog. Open an account with Tangerine (formerly ING-Direct) using my Orange Key (40643422S1), deposit $100 and we both get $50! Offer is available until December 31st. Check here for more details.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information