User Tag List

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Like Tree143Likes

Thread: Ketogenic diet

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Last edited by Patty Smyth; Wed, Oct 3rd, 2012 at 02:12 PM. Reason: don't change my words :(

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Controlling one's health by diet and lifestyle changes is so foreign to north amercians who rely on going to Dr. Pill Daddy and getting a pill to cure everything. We are very far behind in the field of nutrition sciences. We are sicker than many 3rd world countries and western diet diseases are epidemic.

In Britain Doctors are trained in this and are encouraged to get their patients to lose weight, quit smoking etc. to PREVENT diseases and they are even rewarded monetarily. The NHA is far better than our Universal health care system.
    TaraF and Darth Penguin like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Last edited by Patty Smyth; Wed, Oct 3rd, 2012 at 02:13 PM.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Last edited by DH666; Wed, Oct 3rd, 2012 at 02:38 PM.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

@ blueyetea. I do not need to answer you. I do not subscribe to a low carb diet but you do. To each his own.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    Controlling one's health by diet and lifestyle changes is so foreign to north amercians who rely on going to Dr. Pill Daddy and getting a pill to cure everything. We are very far behind in the field of nutrition sciences. We are sicker than many 3rd world countries and western diet diseases are epidemic.

In Britain Doctors are trained in this and are encouraged to get their patients to lose weight, quit smoking etc. to PREVENT diseases and they are even rewarded monetarily. The NHA is far better than our Universal health care system.

On another board and during the 2008 US elections, a poster bewailed that her British friend couldn't get the state of the art blood-pressure pills but was informed that she would better served by losing weight and stopping smoking. But BF wanted pills, regardless of their actual benefit to her health.

This caused a whole thread hi-jack about how Obamacare was going to kill people.....sighs..
    TaraF and Patty Smyth like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DH666 View Post
    @ blueyetea. I do not need to answer you. I do not subscribe to a low carb diet but you do. To each his own.
    +1. If a diet is working for (general) you, then it's working. Metabolisms vary from person to person which is why there are so many different diets for different weigth-loss problems and life-styles.
    TaraF and Tbites like this.

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

@ Tara, pleased that you are feeling better. That must have been a scary experience.
    TaraF and Patty Smyth like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Last edited by Patty Smyth; Wed, Oct 3rd, 2012 at 02:15 PM.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Darth, thank you I do feel tons better. Guess it's the wake up call I needed?

I subscribe to Prevention Magazine and this months issue is like a Godsend to me. It has Valerie Bertanelli on the cover and the 3 main articles in it deal with food and weightloss, diabetes, and cancer. Infact they go as far as to call it the "cure" for cancer, and all "it" is, is proper eating. Like Patty said, the diet we have in the Western world is horrible and couple that with inactivity and it pretty much is a bomb waiting to go off. It's a hard pill to swallow knowing that my diabetes over the years (which haven't been the best controlled) has probably led to my brain cancer but it's the sad reality.

So going forward my 3 objectives are lose weight, control my diabetes and eat healthy, it's my "pursuit of happiness" so to speak lol All 3 things I'm dealing with really just feed off of one another and I just can't do it anymore. But now I definitely know that the Ketogenic diet won't be the way I achieve that but rather through PROPER eating with more plant based than anything else.
    Last edited by TaraF; Wed, Oct 3rd, 2012 at 03:03 PM.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TaraF View Post

I subscribe to Prevention Magazine and this months issue is like a Godsend to me. It has Valerie Bertanelli on the cover and the 3 main articles in it deal with food and weightloss, diabetes, and cancer. Infact they go as far as to call it the "cure" for cancer, and all "it" is, is proper eating. Like Patty said, the diet we have in the Western world is horrible and couple that with inactivity and it pretty much is a bomb waiting to go off. It's a hard pill to swallow knowing that my diabetes over the years (which haven't been the best controlled) has probably led to my brain cancer but it's the sad reality.

So going forward my 3 objectives are lose weight, control my diabetes and eat healthy, it's my "pursuit of happiness" so to speak lol All 3 things I'm dealing with really just feed off of one another and I just can't do it anymore. But now I definitely know that the Ketogenic diet won't be the way I achieve that but rather through PROPER eating with more plant based than anything else.
    Funny how things like that happen, about the arcitcle I mean. We first starting hearing about these links, I mean the link between the western diet and disease, after a nutritionist friend of ours pointed us to the movie Forks Over Knives and everything changed from then. What we thought was "healthy" eating totally changed in a matter of months. As you know dh and I have been researching if for months now. My nutritionist friend has been doing research for years now.

I think if you research plant based diet, the links between dairy/meat consumption and disease and things like how the western diet evolved and who is behind it's promotion you will find some eye opening and frankly shocking information.

As I tell everyone, don't believe me, do the research, find out who funds studies and why.

There is a new documentary series started on HBO last week. Weight of the Nation. Very interesting and scary.

http://theweightofthenation.hbo.com/films

TaraF likes this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TaraF View Post

Eat Healthy = controlling diabetes = losing weight <---- I think you have already figured it out
    TaraF likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

TaraF likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Tea is good for you as well Tara:

http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdou...41000putea.htm
    TaraF likes this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Patty, that looks like it will be a very interesting series to watch, too bad I don't have HBO. Oh I will look further into a plant based diet for sure, because let's face it, the one I have been following my whole life isn't working out for me Thankfully I have a supportive Hubby who is hitting the gym with me starting this weekend and it's about a 1 km walk for the gym so that's our warm up and cool down lol

DH666, thanks for the links. I have been drinking Green Tea but I hear White tea is the best. I think I need to play around with some different teas though
    Patty Smyth and DH666 like this.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread Information