User Tag List

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree143Likes

Thread: Ketogenic diet

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Has anyone followed this type of diet before? I have decided to follow this diet as alternative treatment for brain cancer as this specific diet has proven to shrink brain tumours up to 35% in lab mice and also stabilize brain cancer.

I remember after my surgery i went on a strict diet which looking back would have been a ketogenic diet and I remember my first MRI said the tumour had shrunk as well. Of course I was lulled into a false sense of security that everything was ok as my subsequent MRI's came back as "stable", and my diet went to hell. Well I've gained some weight to prove that and enough is enough! I've been seeking out info on cancer specific diets and came across this one. Obviously this diet can be used by anyone but I picked it for myself for the obvious hopeful benefits.

Has anyone tried it? It is kind of similar to Atkins I think. It's very low carb, higher protein and good fat diet. NO sugar.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by TaraF; Tue, Sep 4th, 2012 at 03:46 PM.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I have never heard of it Tara, but with the lab tests showing promise I could see why you would consider it. Let us know what it is ( foods etc)
    TaraF likes this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

walkonby, from what I've read you eat "normal" food, no restrictions on normal food. But because you are not eating added sugar (only naturally occurring ones) it means no processed foods and obviously to follow the guidelines of lower carb, adequate protein and moderate good fats. I was wondering if anyone had tried it for weight loss success. Once I get to shopping friday I'll be on track with it.
    walkonby likes this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Sounds similar to Atkins, one of the goals of Atkins it to get you to a stage of ketosis.
    TaraF likes this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I did a lot of research before I tried Atkins, then didn't stay on it very long because of the possible risks. Getting to a dangerous state of ketosis can lead to kidney failure, for example - risk of kidney stones as well, and various other complications.

I see there are variations on the ketogenic diet, a modified Atkins is just one.

Should your doc(s) recommend you try it, and you are under a dietician's supervision, and you are well-iinformed about everything, I wish you luck!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet
    TaraF and Patty Smyth like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TaraF View Post
    walkonby, from what I've read you eat "normal" food, no restrictions on normal food. But because you are not eating added sugar (only naturally occurring ones) it means no processed foods and obviously to follow the guidelines of lower carb, adequate protein and moderate good fats. I was wondering if anyone had tried it for weight loss success. Once I get to shopping friday I'll be on track with it.
    Wow! Sure sounds similar to what I did to lose over 50 lbs since April. ( the no processed, no sugar, also no salt for me, almost no fats, very limited let's say now) and lean meat. I do recommend cutting out the processed stuff to most people, depending on how bad your intake of that stuff is, the weight can fall right off just by eating the fresh and real foods available.

Good luck with the shop on Friday Tara!
    TaraF likes this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Natalka, thanks for the info. I did a bit further reading and saw about how it works by putting your body in ketosis so that your body is burning fat as fuel. From what I understand, Ketosis isn't a bad state to be in persay but being diabetic, going into diabetic, ketoacidosis wouldn't be a good thing. It's definitely something to research a bit more into. I see my family Dr and Endocrinologist this month so I'll speak to them before jumping aboard.

Walkonby, congrats on your weight loss, that's awesome! I think at the end of the day weightloss is just proper eating and portion control, but I like the starving cancer cells aspect of this diet. Now, having said that I know that cancer cells can't survive without glucose, they starve to death, so if I just cut out all refined sugar and simple carbs, that should help in that area. And well, eating better and exercising obviously for weight loss.
    walkonby likes this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Glad you are reconsidering
    TaraF likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

You may want to eat certain vegetables as some are very effective in cancer prevention like garlic.

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/1-anticancer-vegetable/
    TaraF, walkonby and Tbites like this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Thank you for the link Dh666. I actually take Kyolic Garlic capsules each day but capsules usually aren't as effective as the ingredient is fresh.

Bad news I can't do the ketogenic diet. As I suspected due to being diabetic, my Dr said I'd be going into dangerous territory if I even tried to. Oh well. Guess it's good ole fashioned proper eating and exercise lol
    Natalka and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Tara, I don't think that's bad news at all. Sensible eating with a big variety of foods will nourish you the best - I think that's most important for you!
    TaraF likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I'm purchasing Dr Fuhrman's diet plan later today from Chapters...although I may not be inclined (I may be) to follow it strictly, I'm sure there's a lot of information in there about foods and their affects on our bodies...something I should have researched many years ago...but hopefully, it's never too late...
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Your doctor is right. It can be dangerous. http://www.atkinsexposed.org/

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Staying away from sugar and processed food is always a good thing. I follow a ketogenic diet because I have MS and find it to be the best way to keep my energy up and weight off. Ketosis and ketoacidosis are two completely different things.
    TaraF likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

[
    Last edited by DH666; Fri, Sep 28th, 2012 at 04:19 PM.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information