User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Upset & sad mama here :( Comments about my daughter....

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Now, I am not a parent, but I have been around and seen many babies grown up in front of me, and I have to say that the majority I see are overweight/obese by the time they turn 6. I think society's impression of health is "big" in a child, but the lines get blurred when determining overweight/health weight range.

My example, Honey Boo Boo! overweight/ bording obese child is a beauty queen?? Now I am not saying curves on a woman are beautiful, but this is a child. I think the focus should be on healthy, balanced, and happy children.
    Patty Smyth likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkin9211 View Post
    juliejolie,
    Next time, just smile and say "I'm sorry, are you a pediatrician?" That should stop them from saying anything further
    LOL.

(smileys not working for me today)

Trading Score
    424 (100%)

I feel where you are coming from on this one. My daughter is almost a year and a half and weighs only 21lbs. She eats and eats and the doctor says she is right on track... just tiny. She was born 7lbs9oz and has been "small" all along. The daycare calls her "lightweight" because she is so much smaller then all the other kids in her age group. I also have random strangers offering comments and their advice on how to fatten her up. It does get annoying but don't let them make you feel badly. You know your baby is healthy and that is all that matters.
    SFARAZ and juliejolie like this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I wouldn't worry about it, most people focus a lot on visual aspects of another person. Think of how many times when you meet someone you focus on something visual about them 'nice hair cut/colour', 'love your purse'. In Korea I've been getting a lot of 'I love your eyes' and 'oh you're so tall'. Just change the subject, or talk about a milestone 'baby just started doing [blank]!'

Mostly it gets tedious, yes I'm tall, I figured that out in gr. 8 gym, thanks though. However, I try to be nice! The only time this really got on my nerves was working retail, my course of action at least as a grocery store cashier was to 'pretend' I didn't hear. I'm not rude, I just don't need to hear 'oh sucks that you're inside all day today! It's too beautiful' every other customer.
    juliejolie and i_forget like this.
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

Just want to say ignore those insensitive folks. Like Pumpkin said everyone has an opinion.

If people are being obnoxious / rude / know it all to me I will often just say "Congrats, when did you become a doctor? I didn't realize you were even in med school" I use it most often on my mum who wants me to go to the hospital every time I sneeze.
    juliejolie likes this.

Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I had the same issue with my son, and still do. He's almost 7 now and skinny mini... Kid has one heck of a metabolism is all. He's been the same weight for the last 3 years and grown like crazy. He's very, very tell for his age also... Sometimes I should call him stretch... or bigfoot lol... Anyhow, he's also very active and eats more than most people would give him credit for since it's rarely all at once. Either way, the doctor says he's fine also, he's healthy, he's just got a different stature than others do. You'd never know he was a whopping 8lb 2oz when he was born... I tell you he sure did not look it!!! It's tough some times, the world is a very judgemental place. It's touch and go though, don't take everything to heart! Soon enough you will look back and laugh thinking 'What was I so worried about?' and shake your head 'Silly people!'. You clearly are concerned for your daughters well being, and are taking care of her, loving her, etc. That is what matters!
    juliejolie likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Poodlegirl View Post
    My example, Honey Boo Boo! overweight/ bording obese child is a beauty queen?? Now I am not saying curves on a woman are beautiful, but this is a child. I think the focus should be on healthy, balanced, and happy children.
    That family is disgusting. The mother reminds me of Jabba The Hutt, and she obviously does not care about her child's welfare if she's feeding her 6 year old mountain dew and redbull constantly, and BAGS full of sugar ('pageant crack')!

If she was naturally just a bit soft, okay, whatever. But watch as in 10 years that girl becomes the spitting image of her disgustingly obese mother. There is no level on which feeding your child a BAG of sugar is okay!

If your child is naturally big or small or whatever and you feed them well, and the right foods, don't worry about what people have to say imo. If you feed them like that, you deserve to have them taken away.
    Patty Smyth, SFARAZ and daynabas like this.

Trading Score
    134 (100%)

Julie your daughter is absolutely gorgeous, health and oviously has a mommy who loves her very much. I would say she is right on track.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away"

"because tomorrow is another day"

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    52 (97%)

yep I hear ya...the worse case is when your relatives comment on them and they compare your kids to their grand kids and on and on...there will days I will stomp my feet and ask them that I don't want to hear any more comments for them.

Worse case I have is whenever I visit my in-laws...so now we rarely go there, they sometime call and wonder why and I said out loud is because I don't want to hear their negative comments.
    Ciel likes this.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I would not be bothered by it. It is probably quite innocent.

Reason why I say this:
    I was talking with another mother at my children's school one day. I have talked to her MANY times about general chit-chat things and she is a talker. I am not a talker unless I am speaking with someone that I trust is not two faced and that has similar values as myself.
    So, after these chit-chats, I am at the point where I feel that I can reciprocate a bit in conversation with her.

She asked me a question one day, so I started explaining something to her...and she starts shaking her head and says to me that I am using too many big words and that she does not understand.

From talking with her previously, knowing how well she expresses herself, I assumed that she was on a similar intellectual level as myself....but when I broke out the big words, I was told differently LOL.

Anyways, I suppose after this ramble what I am trying to say is that we are all different and we are all on different levels intellectually. We all take things differently, we understand things differently, we communicate things differently.

Children grow, and they all grow at different rates....and as a person with young children, I can admit that to me it is actually quite amazing how much they change in such a small period of time.
    Parents relate to other parents by making comments about their children and comparisons with your children. They probably mean no harm by it, and unless someone specifically says to you that you are starving your baby, do not worry about it and do not feel like they are implying anything, because they are probably not. Even if they were, it is none of their business so why care and be bothered by it? Enjoy these days, they do grow so fast.
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Simply smile politely and say that you think she is just PERFECT, which she is. Enjoy!
    Natalka and juliejolie like this.
    Jonesy

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

My DD is 7(40 lbs) and in the 3rd percentile, don't worry about it. There's a reason the growth chart goes from 0-100, someone has to be at the bottom and someone has to be at the top.

Trading Score
    84 (100%)

People will always comment. I have a MIL who thinks any child is starving to death and tries to over-stuff them. To the point that some actually throw up later because it's too much. As long as children keep gaining weight, even slowly, then they are absolutely fine. Some of my work colleagues' children are very very small for their age, but they are perfectly healthy. Not every child will be in the middle of the growth chart. A mean comes from having very big and very tiny children.
    LF: Chapman's ice cream and Dare coupons. DS has a peanut allergy so it's the ONLY ones we buy. Lots FT.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

my DD just turn 4 and started JK i always getting comments for her height that she look like 2 and i replied that my DR is satisfied with her height she eat normal
    For cute kids clothing check
    http://www.zulily.com/invite/sfaraz685

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    114 (100%)

Try not to worry about what people say. They will say things whether your child is on the top of the chart, the middle or the bottom. They just have to say something. I have a child on either end of the growth chart. DS1 is in about the 5%, where as DS2 is in about the 90%. They are 2 years apart and the same weight and only about 2 inches between the in height. They are both perfectly healthy and eat a healthy amount of food. Not too much and not too little. They are just different people. No one will grow the exactly the same as the next person. But yet, I get many many comments on their sizes. I just smile and say, "yup, isn't amazing how kids can be so different?"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information