Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: QOTD: Wed 17 Oct - Insomnia

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Name:  insomnia-1.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  30.4 KB

You don't need to have "real" insomnia to answer the question, but what do you do when you can't sleep?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Natalka likes this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

I do relaxation exercises, slowly tensing and then relaxing the muscles starting at the top of my head and going to the tip of my toes all the while doing deep breathing. It's pretty rare that I make it all the way to my toes; I normally fall asleep sometime around contracting and relaxing stomach muscles.

I am really lucky and don't often lay awake. Heck, I can sleep almost anywhere!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

^ that pic is hilarious!

Well, I do have real insomnia - have had since I was a teenager.

For years, I had trouble falling asleep - and would try everything under the sun to try get relaxed and/or sleepy. Nothing really seemed to work, so I learned to just deal with it and I could be quite productive in the middle of the night.

Things changed with perimenopause hitting in my late 30s - I could fall asleep easier, but then could not stay asleep, and nothing I did could get me back to sleep once I awoke.

That's where I am now, but at least now I can nap in the afternoon - something I never could do before - so I can catch up on an hour or two of sleep.

Took 1/2 a sleeping pill once, and never ever again. It paralyzed my body - I could feel it happening slowly, but my mind was still awake. Gosh, it was scary.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Pop in the ear buds, and turn up the music.
    Yes, turn up the music. I don't know what it is, but i seem to tune it out and drift off.
    DANGER

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I very seldom have this problem (thank you God cuz I get so freakin crabby when I don't get enough sleep!)

If I do have an issue falling asleep its always because I'm too overloaded with stress and I can't turn my brain off. When that happens I try a little self hypnosis.

Sounds weird but it works for me. When I was younger I once went to see a hypnotist to try and quit smoking. It didn't work for me (LOL...although I did quit the old fashioned way eventually) but what I learned was how to induce myself into that hypnotic state...which is the ultimate in relaxation. So when I can't sleep, I self hypnotize.

I'll tell you...I start at the top of my head and work my way down ordering the various parts of my body to relax and let go and I never get past the shoulders before I'm out cold.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I rarely have trouble sleeping. If I do, it's not hard to guess what puts men to sleep rather fast. So it's either that or a nice walk.

(yes I know I I'm single)
    Last edited by vesper; Wed, Oct 17th, 2012 at 08:52 AM.

claires mommy too! <3 gracesmommy's Avatar
    Trading Score
    392 (100%)

lol @ vesper.
    i usually cant sleep if i'm stressed about something and i cant turn my brain off. i find that if i start to read that will put me to sleep.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    I rarely have trouble sleeping. If I do, it's not hard to guess what puts men to sleep rather fast. So it's either that or a nice walk.

the question was asked...and he's an honest answering guy
    DANGER

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post

Truly a guy thing! That puts my DH out cold, but has the effect of waking me up
    DiamondLil, Natalka, ninna and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Helps me sleep too
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

If I can't sleep, I usually get up and walk around for a bit, go on the patio...after about 10-15 min I go back and usually fall asleep after that.

Trading Score
    69 (100%)

I just toss and turn - hoping that sleep will eventually happen. Once i'm in bed i usually want to stay there til i have no other option but to get out.......hate, hate,hate wandering around a cold house!

I have actually suffered from sleep issues since...well i'm not sure actually...since the kids were small perhaps??
    Definitely more than 10 years as DH went onto shifts then and that really played havoc with my sleep,lol!

Anyway, A week or so ago, while wandering around my fav. store(Costco!!), DH came across a natural sleep remedy. He looked at it, looked at me, said you need this and threw it in amongst our other goodies.Have to say that it actually works - i have never had so much sleep and with no side effects either. Now i don't need to have a snooze midway through the day,lol
    Come on -Join me ! Get Points, get Free stuff

http://www.gifthulk.com/refer/kazm-l
    And if you need a link for Zoombucks or Irazoo ....let me know!!

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

I watch tv when I cant sleep, but if I really cant sleep and need to be up early the next day, I take a midol. Knocks me out within 20 minutes.
    The average dog
    is nicer
    than the average person.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Before I get up and try to make myself tired again, I play 'alphabet soup' in my head, picking a topic and working from A-Z thinking up things in that topic that start with them, if that doesn't help, I will get up and read - but that wakes the cats and then there is no point trying to sleep.
    ~ ~ ~

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    Before I get up and try to make myself tired again, I play 'alphabet soup' in my head, picking a topic and working from A-Z thinking up things in that topic that start with them
    that's interesting...it's like ...only not as boring!

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    ...if that doesn't help, I will get up and read - but that wakes the cats and then there is no point trying to sleep.
    is this you?
    DANGER

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information