User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree117Likes

Thread: Flu & Pneumonia Shots, are you getting one?

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    TaraF, what were the two infections you had, when you went to the doctor?
    I had (and still do) a bacterial infection in my throat, complete with coughing, phlegm and all that beautiful stuff and a fungal infection on my head *grumbles* which is painful and producing some nasty sores. AND I can't get my MRI in 5 weeks if it isn't cleared up by that time *grrrrr*

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jessep13 View Post
    I usually dont get it, as I dont have a family doctor, so that means im going to one of the clinics and waiting around all day to get my shot, not worth it to me. But my daughter has a doctor and she gets it every year.
    Ontario pharmacists are giving it too. Shoppers -- make an appointment. Rexall -- walk in. I would still call first since not all pharmacists are doing this.

So, you get a choice this year.
    TaraF likes this.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

I've gotten the flu shot once in my life - when the H1N1 pandemic was going around. Haven't gotten it and since and won't be getting it. I never get the flu - just colds **knock on wood** so I don't see the point of getting it.
    TaraF and GoJays like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TaraF View Post
    I also have no idea what flu shot is administered from my Drs office
    This year it's Vaxigrip (Sanofi Pasteur, made in USA) and Fluviral (Glaxo SmithKline, USA). But it depends on where you live in Canada.
    TaraF likes this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Yes, i've aways has them and will always do.....as DH, Mom, both my Inlaws.....
    Natalka, TaraF and Shwa Girl like this.

Trading Score
    83 (100%)

I have gotten my flu shot every year and I never get the flu. Lots of colds and tonsillitis but never the flu. I work in a bank and everyone knows how dirty money is. I trust my Dr.
    CSLT, Mia001, Natalka and 2 others like this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I got the shot the last 2 years only because my mom was getting hers and did not want to go by herself. I still got the flu both years. I really dont think it does much .
    TaraF and i_forget like this.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

I have never had the flu shot, and never will. The kids have also not had it, but my two oldest did have the H1N1 shot because I allowed them to make that choice and took them to get it.

I don't remember the last time we ever had the 'flu' around here. We had Norwalk virus about 3 years ago which wasn't a typical flu, and I usually get walking pneumonia at least once a winter but I'm also asthmatic & have had it my entire life, so it's not unusual for me; I don't see a point in getting a shot for something we don't get around here.

I should also mention that I'm not an anti-bacterial soap kind of person since I believe in allowing the body the opportunity to build it's own immunity; My 13 & 14 yr old boys have never even had antibiotics in their entire lives as they have never been sick with anything that required them.
    TaraF, GoJays and i_forget like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I absolutely refuse to get the flu shot. I have had the flu twice in my life and both times I survived nicely. I won't get it for the kids either. Every year my mil tries to push me to get it for them and every year I have to explain to her that I don't believe in it.. one of these days I'm going to snap and tell her where she can stick her flu shot IMO, it's completely unnecessary for healthy adults and children. And like Patty and KrazE, we didn't get the H1N1 shot either.

On a side-note, what drives me crazy is people who get sick and say that they have the flu. Umm, no.. no you don't. You have a cold. If you had the flu you'd be at home in bed feeling like you were just flattened by the Chicago Bears defensive line.
    TaraF, Patty Smyth, ninna and 1 others like this.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

*SNORT* thats funny GoJays. love that last line. thats exactly how i've felt after getting the shot xmas day. like wake up in the morning. all lovely. then wham.. SMACK! by supper time.. i was done like dinner.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

CDC: 115 kids died of flu last season, most weren't vaccinated

Children rarely die of the flu, but the illness can be more severe than parents think — which is why, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said on Thursday, vaccination is crucial.
    From Sept. 2010 to August 2011, 115 children under 18 died from flu-related complications, according to the latest CDC report. Nearly half of the deaths were in children who were previously healthy, with no underlying medical conditions that would put them at greater risk for severe disease. And nearly half of the kids were younger than 5 (most were younger than 2). “[Y]oung age in itself is a risk factor” for severe flu, the CDC said in a press release.

TaraF and blueeyetea like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Today Health Canada lifted the hold on the Novartis vaccine - it's safe, there are no contaminants.
    Some provinces only had a certain percentage of them; SK had 100% so our clinics have been cancelled til now.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/health-...hots-1.1018417

I agree somewhat with prior posters that healthy adults may not need the flu shot.
    However, consideration needs to be given to those you deal with - if one has elderly parents, then you are protecting them by getting the shot yourself. Same with having a family member with a chronic health condition.

The reason the flu doesn't get so bad for people, or isn't as common as it once was, is because of people getting the vaccinations.
    -----

We have a situation here in SK with measles - yes, they should be gone, but they are back - first case in 15 years here. About one in four children are not up to date with their vaccinations, so there are special clinics running for them.
    TaraF and blueeyetea like this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

i don't 'argue' with those who don't get the shot....everyone has a reason to get it or not
    Natalka and TaraF like this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

sadly there are some children who don't get vaccinated due to under-laying health problems which are then put at risk because some-one else won't get thier childen innoculated due to lack of under-standing of the whole issue of vaccinations.

So to all those parents who think it's appropriate to infect my kids....your lack of understanding makes it possinble that you can be responsible for killing my children...
    Mia001, Natalka and TaraF like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I worked in the health care field so it was expected we get one. I didn't get one this year so far. I missed out on the free flu clinics. My doctors office charges around $30.00 for a flu shot so I may find a cheaper place.

I had the flu several years ago. I don't recall if I had the flu shot then. I felt like I was walloped by a brick wall.
    Last edited by toban; Thu, Nov 1st, 2012 at 04:12 PM.
    TaraF likes this.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information