• 6 Post By avoncallingu
  • 2 Post By operabob
  • 2 Post By RMurp007
  • 2 Post By VeeVee

Thread: Any teachers out there?

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

It's getting close to that time of year again. I'd love for my kids to give their teachers presents they'd actually like. If there are any teachers out there who'd like to give a list of their favorite presents that would be great!! Bonus points for any items that are handmade (not necessarily by the child either...momma loves to bake, knit, sew, etc !! Thanks!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Gift cards are always the best. Sorry not what you want hear but the truth.
    Baking just gets thrown out.
    Apart from that nothing too personal eg. Underwear !!
    Also a nice hand written note from the both of you about specific things that are making the year great is always nice
    Also a special book that you and your child really like is a nice gift as well and does not need to cost a lot.
    One parent I had years ago, called/talked to all the parents and took pictures of the kids and had them write a favourite memory about the year with a hand drawn picture as well. She had it beautifully put together and it is wonderful. All the kids still like to pick it for silent reading !
    ninna likes this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Well, I'm going to disagree about the giftcards - I never got one as a teacher, and I don't know how I would have felt about it either... something about it doesn't sit right with me.

I think baking is a great idea - again, no teacher I know would 'throw out' home baking, no way! What would be nice is something along the candy line, too (chocolate bark, peanut brittle, etc.)

As for ideas - decades later, I still have tree ornaments given to me by students, and they go on our tree every year. Also, decorative Christmas items - small wreath, angels, other things to hang up.

As for making something - wow, anything handmade is cherished - and you can knit! I absolutely love knitted mittens, so that would be a good choice - or a cool scarf.
    gracesmommy, DaveP and jaybird like this.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Most teachers in my school do not celebrate Christmas so ordiments and such just would not be alright
    As for the gift cards, maybe it is the area I am in. But most students do give them. And that is what I give to my kid's teachers, as well. Too many allergies, hygiene issues and different tastes with baking. But this just what happens in the schools I have taught at for the last 7 yrs. I guess it really depends on the area and how well you know the teachers etc. I am sure you will find that special gift that is just right for the teacher
    jaybird likes this.

Trading Score
    159 (100%)

No more mugs!!! Lol

I know it's the thought that counts, but one can only collect so many "Greatest Teacher" mugs!

I like gift cards, bath products, baking, chocolates, mitts, toques, scarves, etc.

Also, teachers realize that money can be tight at this time of year. So, most never expect a gift.
    Natalka, ninna and jaybird like this.
    ......SEARCH USING SWAGBUCKS!.....
    ..................EARN $$$ FAST!..................
    .............Join using my referral..............
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/K8sFate

claires mommy too! <3 gracesmommy's Avatar
    Trading Score
    392 (100%)

i think home baked things are a really nice treat as is the ornament idea. you should check out pinterest for some nice teacher gifts.. i've gotten a few ideas from there.
    Natalka, ninna and jaybird like this.

When life hands you lemons, make a lemon pie... lemonade will be all like WTH?!?

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

In my family there are a lot of teachers - I'll tell you a story about a gift that stands out. My db received a card stating that the family had made a donation in his name to Ronald McDonald House. He thought that was very nice. Little did he know then that later, when he and his wife's first child was born 2 months early, that he and his wife would find Ronald McDonald House their "home" while they watched over him. Their son is now in grade 6 and doing wonderfully well, but every time I'm asked about "gifts", I think of this.
    I will say that hand knit, really WARM mittens are a great idea for teachers who have 20 min + yard duties in the really frigid weather.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

No more mugs!!! Lol

I know it's the thought that counts, but one can only collect so many "Greatest Teacher" mugs!
    My sense of humour is on the darkside. I was one of those busy teachers and was only able to get coffee while in the classroom. As a result I was practically guaranteed to get a half dozen mugs a year and loved it as the kids were picking up on my quirks.

One of the best gifts I received was handmade. The kids were always stealing my pencils. One of the parents made a pencil box for me with a lock on it.

If you can do something towards what the teacher is known for, well I know I appreciated that sort of thing.
    Natalka and jaybird like this.
    OB

Who Says Men Can't Shop!

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I too loved the handwritten notes expressing appreciation. They go in the teacher's portfolio. The best hand-made gift I ever received was a knitted water bottle cover. Wine is good too!
    operabob and jaybird like this.

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

My sister is a teacher to 3-6 year olds - her best gift was from a mom who wrote a very sincere card (she also include a GC,but my sister really appreciated that hand written card) She still has it! With baked goods, sometimes the teacher might have a allergies etc and can't eat it, especially now a days you never know what is in home made goods. When I was a kid I know my mom baked stuff and my teachers loved it but I think its less and less now a days?
    operabob and Abby5 like this.

Thread Information