User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: What can you do to an apartment to block sound?

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I've been having an ongoing drama with a very loud next door neighbour in an apartment complex. The walls are concrete, and I've contact the super multiple times, the problem has been occurring since he has gotten a new sound system. The bass travels through the walls and he has it turned up pretty loud, every night. You can hear his sound system from the elevator door which is about 40-50 feet from his apartment door.

I am wondering are there any easy to use products up there that I can use to help block some of the noise. We share one wall which runs along the kitchen and living room. So half of the wall in the kitchen is covered with Cupboards. In the living room I've moved heavy furniture against the wall to try to block some of the noise and put some of those foam puzzle piece mats behind it.

I am in an apartment so I am limited as to what I can do as in carpentry. Do you have any advice outside of moving? I am really hoping his lease does not get renewed. There are others who have had issues with his noise within the building as well.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I don't know what you could really do. It might be a good idea to ask them to move their tv and stereo to the opposite wall that isn't shared with you. That would help somewhat.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Wed, Jan 21st, 2015 at 07:49 AM.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Definitely start filing noise complaints. Many people believe that they can only do that for noise before or after a certain hour, but in fact it can be done at any hour as there is also an 'annoying' or decibel type of clause as well. Check your city's website & read up on it as it's quite likely that you can have it dealt with by bylaw officers.
    snuffaluffagus likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Apartments-wonder if cubicle walls (the carpeted yet awful gray ones) might help block some of the sound through the wall but not help with vibrations on the floor.

I'd lean towards the bylaw officer getting the noise complaint because the neighbour is sustaining his music despite knowing there is a negative effect on adjoining tenants. Wouldn't this be a good time to find out if soundwaves can be generated (unit that provides custom waves or the right appliance that sends the right sound wave to cancel the bass next door) that cancel out the sound waves of the music system next door? Got some physics majors in your social circle or back at your postsecondary school?
    Last edited by Ciel; Thu, Nov 1st, 2012 at 11:23 PM.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

What has your landlord done about the problem? Because you're paying rent for a service, technically, it's the landlord's responsibility to ensure you're not being bothered by excessive noise and it's the landlord's responsibility to call the police or by-law to lodge a complaint.

If the landlord hasn't resolved the issue, then send him/her a registered letter detailing your complaint and insisting something is done about it immediately or you will take legal action.
    ~RRLF $0.75 Organic Meadow, $1 Almond Fresh~

Trading Score
    193 (100%)

I agree with everyone else about filing a noise complaint and getting your landlord to take responsibility.

In my previous apartment, I shared a wall with a neighbour who was a DJ...his stereo was not against the adjoining wall but even if he didn't crank his music... the vibration (which is what bothered me most) would travel to the very far end of my apartment... ie: I'd feel the vibration in my bed. I spoke to him and he placed dense foam pieces underneath his speakers (so they wouldn't be right against the wood floors)...that resolved the vibrations but he was also reasonable enough to not crank his music either.
    Ciel and lecale like this.

Friends don't let friends trade at max value

MY WISHLIST
    RRLF 2014 -> RENEE'S !!! Lactantia butter, Marc Angelo, Casa di Mama

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

The super will only talk to him if it's after 11pm. I've been keeping a detailed list of noise complaints and when I have talked to the super. I am so fed up looking at how long the list has become. Some nights I am unable to watch tv in the living room, I can't hear it over his sound system. I now spend most of my time in the guest room, but the sound still travels. If he could turn it down a few notches that would greatly help, but so far he seems unwilling and the super is unwilling to get involved :S.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Sigh. That tenant is in the lead for "world revolves around him" award of the last quarter in 2012. That is the nice version of what I really want to post.

Find someone's copy of Twisted Sister's We're Not Going to Take It and crank it...

What are the chances that super/management is willing to buy this sound dampening product (special order at Home Depot) and install it in your apartment?
    http://www.homedepot.ca/product/sika...25-m178/991941
    Not sure which Sika adhesive would be necessary to apply the layer to the concrete.
    Last edited by Ciel; Sun, Nov 4th, 2012 at 04:30 PM.
    Candini and duckface like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    193 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by matrix82 View Post
    The super will only talk to him if it's after 11pm. I've been keeping a detailed list of noise complaints and when I have talked to the super. I am so fed up looking at how long the list has become. Some nights I am unable to watch tv in the living room, I can't hear it over his sound system. I now spend most of my time in the guest room, but the sound still travels. If he could turn it down a few notches that would greatly help, but so far he seems unwilling and the super is unwilling to get involved :S.
    The super is ethically but not legally responsible for providing you with a peaceful place to live... your landlord is. If you've tried milk&honey with your neighbor and that's not working... time to send your landlord a registered letter

Friends don't let friends trade at max value

MY WISHLIST
    RRLF 2014 -> RENEE'S !!! Lactantia butter, Marc Angelo, Casa di Mama

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Well, this problem is affecting your quality of life, so if the landlord isn't willing to get the noise under control (which is their responsibility), then you should get a reduction in your rent.

It's an awful situation, I remember years ago, when we lived in an apartment. I complained about the noise once on a neighbour and the woman's teenaged kid set fire to our motorcycle. If nothing is done, then I suggest moving.

Trading Score
    73 (100%)

What I did a few years ago was buy a Honeywell air purifier. I keep it on medium in the bedroom (also have one in the living room), and it blocks out all noise. Also cleans the air! It really works and you get used to the fan and can't sleep without it after awhile! lol

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I as well sleep with a humidifier beside my bed. I need the humidity, but most of all I need the white noise to sleep! What I find is it drowns all out others sounds. I have been doing this for years.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by maggiespice View Post
    I as well sleep with a humidifier beside my bed. I need the humidity, but most of all I need the white noise to sleep! What I find is it drowns all out others sounds. I have been doing this for years.
    Good idea.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

it might be worth looking up the bylaws for your city, and give a copy to your landlord, try talking to the tenant (knocking on the door being polite seeing if you can work it out) we've done this in the past and it has worked well (my hubby is a night worker sleeps during the day the neighbour is a gamer and had his speakers right against the wall our bedroom is against, we knocked on the door talked politely and reasonably about the situation, the neighbour turned the sound down some and moved the speakers further away from the wall) and sometimes it hasn't worked out (i've been the crazy lady wearing PJs and housecoat in the hallway banging heck even kicking very loudly on the door yelling at the person to turn it down) and sometimes a threat to call the police was all it took to get the music to stop sometimes the police did have to come i hate having to get to that point but.. sometimes people need an authority figure to come and say "this is not ok"
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information