User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree171Likes

Thread: Empty the freezer challenge

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

I have two chest freezers that are near full. Both chest freezers are at least 30 years old and one runs almost continuously. So, I'm making an effort to take out at least two items each day from the freezer with the hope that each freezer is about half full before trying an experiment. I would like to put a timer on the freezer that runs continuously so that it shuts off once in a while....but want to try this when I have the opportunity to transfer all the food into one freezer should the one konk out on me So, each day I am going to challenge myself to take out two things (besides the regular baked items) and list them here to keep me accountable.

Today: large bag of sockeye salmon, zucchini (for muffins)
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by momof5boys; Tue, Nov 6th, 2012 at 11:06 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

Great challenge!! I have about 100lbs of tomatoes in our from the summer. I may start to look like a tomato soon
    aussie, harbie, Angela273 and 4 others like this.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

we have a chest and had an upright.. Y we have away our upright i'll never know. now our chest is STUFFED with strawberries that have been washed/hulled and frozen to later make strawberry/rhubarb jam.. im planning on going through it tomorrow to see whats left. i've already tried to use what we have in their. chicken, turkey legs. etc. im sure theres more in the bottom. probably lots of goodies. ill post here tomorrow what i have.. keep us both accountable.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have a huge chest freezer, and this year i planted two rows of cabbage totalling about 30 large heads ( why i planted so much Ill never know) so my freezer has 30 heads of shredded cabbage in it, and 10 lbs of beets! So it is very full at the moment.
    Natalka, harbie, Angela273 and 4 others like this.
    join my superpoints network and get gifts card for amazon , or paypal, or rewards.
    http://superpoints.com/refer/skid13_mm
    http://www.surveysavvy.com/?m=4263495

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    40 (100%)

We emptied our freezer awhile ago. It was great to finally eat up everything that was in it and start anew!

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSunshine View Post
    we have a chest and had an upright.. Y we have away our upright i'll never know. now our chest is STUFFED with strawberries that have been washed/hulled and frozen to later make strawberry/rhubarb jam.. im planning on going through it tomorrow to see whats left. i've already tried to use what we have in their. chicken, turkey legs. etc. im sure theres more in the bottom. probably lots of goodies. ill post here tomorrow what i have.. keep us both accountable.
    I actually went through both my freezers and marked down the contents in a book....I refer to it quite regularly

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Thats always a good idea. A lot of people are surprised to see what they actually have in their freezer and it's sad since most poultry shouldn't be kept frozen for more than 3 months, beef and pork more than 6, veggies and fruit somewhere in there as well. They start to loose flavour and lets not forget freezer burn that makes everything taste like cardboard.

I've had a freezer inventory list and a pantry list for years. I think I even posted the list on here a year or so ago. With all the stock piles people have, and a lot of times a bit here and a bit there, a list is almost a must.
    Angela273 and jasperandchar like this.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

I purchased extra dividers and always have my freezer sections off. Each compartment product is named and dated so I can make sure everything is rotated. Nothing better than the feeling of eating everything up, giving your freezer a good clean up and starting over. Great job momof5boys!
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Taken out today:

Beef rouladen (anyone have any good recipes for this?)
    Beans
    Peaches (from our peach tree...I froze the excess in a bit of sugar water so am anxious to see how they'll taste because I usually can them)

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Great idea - good luck!

I've been really working on emptying ours over the past month - this morning's find was two pork tenderloin, SAD to find the date was 2008- GAH! At least it means I'm closer to the bottom, lol!

(Usually I'm pretty much on top of things as to what's there, but I had left some junk at the bottom to keep things frozen since we rarely fill our freezer, and this pork must have just gotten lost amidst that. This time when I do that, I'll put in something to clearly divide them!)
    Last edited by Natalka; Wed, Nov 7th, 2012 at 11:48 AM.
    jasperandchar likes this.

Trading Score
    88 (100%)

i managed to scout out some bacon this morning. will do a further investigation shortly.
    harbie and Angela273 like this.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

We're in the process of doing this (about half-way there) - we only have the freezer above our fridge, so not nearly as big of a challenge, but since there are only two of us it takes awhile. I am trying to go through the meat the most because the rest of it is basically individual servings of homemade chicken soup, bread, bread crumbs etc. I'll keep you updated on the conglomerations I make up

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Today, here is what came from the freezer:
    pork - will cut up, marinade in teriyaki sauce, then use in a stir fry with left over rice
    raspberries and peaches - will be using to make jam today

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

Just reorganizing our kitchen. Now that Matt has to go gluten and Low FODMAP there are lots of things in our freezer that will have to be put to good use when guests visit. I'm going to pull out a load of tomatoes and simmer them down and make him bbq sauce that he can each (no onions or garlic either) which I can then freeze in small bags. Not exactly emptying the freezer but making my life a little easier when he doesn't know what to have for lunch..GF meatballs and bbq sauce! YAY.

I'm sure there are some pizzas in there too that my mum and step dad will be eating on their next visit . Luckily we've only been here for just over a year so there won't be anything too old in there.

Trading Score
    88 (100%)

crap what do you do when you find beef in the back of the freezer.. after the major recall. im just not sure i want to trust it being safe.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information