User Tag List

Page 41 of 67 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 51 ... LastLast
Like Tree2781Likes

Thread: Canning Pics, Feel free to post yours!

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

How to peel tomatoes fassssssssssst for canning! You will be disgusted how easy this is!

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Patty with all the research I did yesterday the OMRA is the one to buy! I looked at video reviews on all the products to see how they functioned under a load and how big of pieces you can put in it. If I was not allergic to tomatoes i would be all over that puppy!!!
    Patty Smyth and hollyquaiscer like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cheekysaver View Post
    How to peel tomatoes fassssssssssst for canning! You will be disgusted how easy this is!
    Bob's your uncle

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

curse you cheekysaver!!!

I just spent about 40 minutes watching her videos! What is it about her and Noreen that keep me glued and tuned in to their channels?? Cannot believe I spent the time to peel my 2 boxes ( ugh! 50 lbs ) of tomatoes this morning, when all I had to do was freeze them and pour boiled water over them.....I never had an Uncle Bob though. lol

babies teach us acceptance

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Perfect timing...will be doing tomatoes soon and just got a new extra fridge with big freezer...and I hate peeling tomatoes so this is awesome..thanks for posting! Should save so much time
    walkonby and cheekysaver like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Walkonby I sent the vid to my mom... she lost a whole afternoon watching Bev's vids. I like them because they are real people.
    walkonby and LIVE SIMPLE like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Ok, people are panicking about the new lids for canning jars. We no longer need to heat the lids in water.
    Here is one big myth.
    Myth, plastisol is in the glue and now they are not working. Truth, I contacted Bernardin and the formula for the seal has not changed since 1969. I don't know if it contains plastisol but I do know the formula has not changed. As for plastisol in the states... well it has been used a very long time. This is a post from 2006 http://canningpantryforum.yuku.com/t...s#.VC3Z1PTw-Dk

Don't panic over this stuff until we have all of the information.

I contacted Bernardin asking about the new lids and not needing to heat them any longer. This is the message I got back directly from them.
    We recently became aware of the questions within the home canning community about whether to pre-heat canning lids or not. As part of our ongoing work to improve our products and simplify the home canning process, our Quality Assurance Team conducted extensive testing on our lids.

The result of their work determined it is no longer necessary to pre-heat home canning lids in simmering water before using them. However, if you prefer to pre-heat lids in simmering water, it is okay to do so. There have been no changes in our sealing compound, in fact, we have used the same sealing compound since 1969.

This speaks to the long history of quality and performance testing behind our decision to eliminate this unnecessary step. As the manufacturer of your home canning lids, we hope you enjoy this time saving recommendation.

Hope this helps!

- The Bernardin Team
    walkonby and dregular like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

BTW I canned some crab apple jelly, crab apple butter, tomato sauce and kidney beans so far this last week. Next is hot peppers and lemon curd! I so love this canning stuff!
    BC Gal likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Made pickled,beets,this week and hopefully I can get some tomatoes tomorrow and will throw in freezer,for easy peeling. Looking forward,to trying the freezing out.
    cheekysaver likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Got my first canning lesson from my MIL a couple weeks ago making pickled carrots. Then made 11 jars of pickled beets last week. Planning to do blueberry jar this weekend.
    cheekysaver and scouponer like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Made stewed tomatoes today. Did 1 batch to try out the freezing /peeling tomato method. It worked and was really quick...only thing is that the tomatoes were still frozen and couldn't cut the top off and it was hard to get the seeds out...but I think it is worth it. Will put the rest of the tomatoes in the freezer tonight and finish tomorrow and that will be the end of canning for me for this fall...did pickled beets, tomatoes, mixed pickled veggies, spicy pickled beans, and strawberry freezer jam. We don't eat a lot of preserves,so didnt bother and dh doesn't like vinegar so didn't make big quantities. Although I did see a recipe for,brandied,apples that sounded interesting so maybe not done yet...we will see.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    16 (100%)

I saw that Walmart had some of their canning accessories on clearance yesterday (funnel, recipe book, jar handler). Also pectin was on clearance so I stocked up a bit. $1 for regular pectin box, $2 for no-sugar. Jars were still regular price though.
    walkonby and cheekysaver like this.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Spent some time going through this thread and I am so impressed by you all. I don't have the time and dedication to get into canning but I wish I did.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

YOU have been canned! This is what I did in the last 24 hours.
    Jalapeno slices (pickled), Cranberry orange sauce (use orange juice instead of water and some orange rind it is amazing and the first cranberry sauce I have ever liked.), last but not least pumpkin. (it was par cooked, diced, boiling water added with 1 inch head space and pressure canned for 55mins)
    Name:  you have been canned.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  56.7 KB
    Last edited by cheekysaver; Thu, Oct 23rd, 2014 at 11:26 PM.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Yes I am still canning away... i was off to a slow start but i keep plugging away.
    This weeks canning
    18 liters + 1 500ml of borscht (it always looses the purple but tastes good)
    7 liters of potato ham and cheese soup
    2 liters of vegetable stock.

Lavender Lady likes this.

Page 41 of 67 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 51 ... LastLast

Thread Information