User Tag List

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree798Likes

Thread: Mega Redemption Cancelled?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I don't understand how people can get so upset that "MEGA REDEMPTION" has been cancelled. How can something be cancelled that was never announced officially? No where EVER did SDM announce that there would be a MEGA REDEMPTION on Dec 1. Someone heard something from someone that they supposedly heard from someone from SDM that works "high up" etc etc etc. That information is about as credible as saying the Pope is coming to my house for dinner.

Just because in past years the trend has been to have a MEGA redemption it is not law nor written in stone that there will be one EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Promotions change all the time so save yourself the stress and anger and just wait for the promos to be officially announced in the flyer or or the radio at SDM or the radio in your car etc. Don't go by word of mouth because we all know news travels fast and incorrect news travels even faster.

I'm disappointed at the redemption levels too but in the end it's my decision whether I choose to redeem at those levels or not. The way I see it is $30 extra is $30 more product I will have if it was just a regular redemption and if you just buy sale items it's a pretty sweet deal to end up with $210 FREE stuff. I bet you can't buy peanut butter at walmart for $3.99! :p

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

It's funny this whole redemption thing, when you get a little older. For me I am disappointed about the lower levels, only because I am transferring points to my 3 daughters cards. I really wanted them to be able to get things for their families and themselves for $250, not $210!! I know it might sound a little greedy..but I was so excited to be able to "buy" them something this year quite expensive, each. Oh well.......
    carlyincanada and renegado like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    28 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyQT View Post
    I don't understand how people can get so upset that "MEGA REDEMPTION" has been cancelled. How can something be cancelled that was never announced officially? No where EVER did SDM announce that there would be a MEGA REDEMPTION on Dec 1. Someone heard something from someone that they supposedly heard from someone from SDM that works "high up" etc etc etc. That information is about as credible as saying the Pope is coming to my house for dinner.

Just because in past years the trend has been to have a MEGA redemption it is not law nor written in stone that there will be one EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Promotions change all the time so save yourself the stress and anger and just wait for the promos to be officially announced in the flyer or or the radio at SDM or the radio in your car etc. Don't go by word of mouth because we all know news travels fast and incorrect news travels even faster.

I'm disappointed at the redemption levels too but in the end it's my decision whether I choose to redeem at those levels or not. The way I see it is $30 extra is $30 more product I will have if it was just a regular redemption and if you just buy sale items it's a pretty sweet deal to end up with $210 FREE stuff. I bet you can't buy peanut butter at walmart for $3.99! :p
    Exactly..you read my mind!!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Relax....
    Mega Redemption was not cancelled:
    1. It was never officially announced
    2. Shoppers doesn't call it "Mega Redemption" or "Bonus Redemption" They promote "Spend Your Points Events"
    And then depending on how much of a bonus they are giving us on the redemption levels; WE name it: Bonus, Super, Mega, Penultimate, Ultimate...
    3. If you want to call the "Spend Your Points Event" closest to Christmas a "Mega Redemption" fine; It's just not as "mega" as we thought (hoped/expected/ASSUMED) it would be. Bummer...

Unless I get a crystal ball for Christmas, so I can see future promos, I will be joining a lot of you in reducing my shopping at SDM. They seem to enjoy yanking us around and screwing with points and accounts.
    carlyincanada likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine6100 View Post
    ...expected/ASSUMED) it would be. Bummer...
    *snort*

Merry Christmas Everyone!!!
    Armygirl76 and SavenRaven like this.

Dealigator
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Shoppers knows that Optimum collectors have been looking forward to the Mega redemption. It didn't have to be announced to be cancelled.

The fact that it wasn't cancelled so much as replaced with a lower value event could mean a couple of things. It could mean Shoppers reduced the levels knowing a lot of people had been saving points to redeem that weekend and would redeem anyway. At $210/95,000 instead of $250/95,000, Shoppers could buy back almost as many points but at a substantial saving, and at a time of year when people are shopping relatively recklessly (on higher margin merchandise), especially those who believe they are getting things for "free." Or it could mean Shoppers can't afford to offer the redemption levels of Dec 2010 and 2011.

Or it could mean they like jerking us around, stressing us out, keeping us awake at night, making us crazy. They are first and foremost a pharmacy -- anything they can do to increase our need for drugs is good for business!
    Abuse coupons, not people!

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

anyone think there is a slight chance that since the Mega redemption last year (that's what SDM advertised it as I believe) was the second week of Dec (again I believe that's when it happened) that mayeb SDM is just offering this "Spend you points" promo to get people to cash in their points beofre the Mega redemption?????

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyQT View Post

It's because Shoppers has been playing dirty little tricks. First it was last year where people lost their points and they weren't replaced. Then this year people had their cards frozen. Now they're playing a game with the points from gift cards saying there is a glitch in the system when the points were to be awarded by the 23rd at midnight. It all adds up and it stinks!

My Tangerine Key is:39626323S1

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

This was my thought too.

Quote Originally Posted by harbie View Post
    anyone think there is a slight chance that since the Mega redemption last year (that's what SDM advertised it as I believe) was the second week of Dec (again I believe that's when it happened) that mayeb SDM is just offering this "Spend you points" promo to get people to cash in their points before the Mega redemption?????
    Couponing Since 2011

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

anyone think there is a slight chance that since the Mega redemption last year (that's what SDM advertised it as I believe) was the second week of Dec (again I believe that's when it happened) that mayeb SDM is just offering this "Spend you points" promo to get people to cash in their points beofre the Mega redemption?????
    It wasn't the 2nd week last year, it was the first weekend in December.
    And no, I think this even is as good as its going to get before xmas.
    carlyincanada, kidsteph and Doda like this.
    Get free gift cards for amazon & paypal. I've earned $100's with the click of my mouse!
    Swagbucks: http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/TremorKitty
    Superpoints is BACK! https://www.superpoints.com/join/5Gp...0VOe51KdfmpCzw

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sarajk View Post
    It wasn't the 2nd week last year, it was the first weekend in December.
    And no, I think this even is as good as its going to get before xmas.
    Thansk for the clarification I can't remember what I had for breakfast let alone what days sales were on last year lol

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

it was definitely the first weekend in Dec - we went before a Christmas party we have every year that's the first weekend
    Collecting Campbell's soup labels for our school RAKs greatly appreciated.
    Using WagJag for great deals!

Trading Score
    149 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by renegado View Post
    Shoppers knows that Optimum collectors have been looking forward to the Mega redemption. It didn't have to be announced to be cancelled.

The fact that it wasn't cancelled so much as replaced with a lower value event could mean a couple of things. It could mean Shoppers reduced the levels knowing a lot of people had been saving points to redeem that weekend and would redeem anyway. At $210/95,000 instead of $250/95,000, Shoppers could buy back almost as many points but at a substantial saving, and at a time of year when people are shopping relatively recklessly (on higher margin merchandise), especially those who believe they are getting things for "free." Or it could mean Shoppers can't afford to offer the redemption levels of Dec 2010 and 2011.

Or it could mean they like jerking us around, stressing us out, keeping us awake at night, making us crazy. They are first and foremost a pharmacy -- anything they can do to increase our need for drugs is good for business!
    First of all, each time we redeem our Optimum points, it comes out of the marketing budget. It is a cost to them. Admittedly they still make a spread on the margin (marketing expense at cost, we "redeem" at retail or even better full price) but not all products are high margins. Baby stuffs - limited almost no margins, cosmetics - very high margins, Life Brands - fat margins. So it makes sense for them to reduce the redemption level if they want to control marketing costs, especially after the Cadbury fiasco.

As for making us all go crazy, hmmm... what can they sell us in return: Ambien (for insomnia), Valium (to calm one's nerves), Tylenol (for headaches)....shall I go on?

Honestly I am not too bothered by this. After all, I went for almost a year without shopping at SDM. I proved myself that I can live without it!

Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tripsplanner View Post
    First of all, each time we redeem our Optimum points, it comes out of the marketing budget. It is a cost to them. Admittedly they still make a spread on the margin (marketing expense at cost, we "redeem" at retail or even better full price) but not all products are high margins. Baby stuffs - limited almost no margins, cosmetics - very high margins, Life Brands - fat margins. So it makes sense for them to reduce the redemption level if they want to control marketing costs, especially after the Cadbury fiasco.
    Interesting point especially when you consider the electronics sale this weekend. Electronics have almost no markup at all. Off brands (Coby, etc; ) aren't bad but XBoxes, PS3s and the Vitas have virtually nothing. It does lend some credibility to the rumour that the glitch wasn't exactly a glitch. Next weeks flyer, on the other hand, has a ton of Life brand on sale.
    penny_lane likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Yes, it is upsetting that apparently there will be a lower points value this year, but really.. you are still getting an extra $30 worth of free stuff... Personally, I will take it. I have enough to do 2 redemptions, but I am only going to do one, and get some basics like crackers and pop that will be useful over the Christmas holidays, and lots of stocking stuffers of course. The rest of my points, I will just wait and see if by chance another "bonus mega" redemption pops up somewhere later, and if not... save them for another time!
    I don't see why people are getting angry about this.. Shoppers is giving you a higher value redemption that you would otherwise... they don't have to! Why get angry over freebies?
    mrskoka and peachies like this.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread Information