User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: What do you feed your cat?

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

I just watched a documentary (Hungry for Change--amazing!!!) about what we eat and the ingredients that are in those products. Once the documentary was finished, I got up to refill my kitty's bowl, and I couldn't help but look at the ingredient list of her food (Cat Chow). I must say that I'm a bit scared as the first ingredient is 'poultry by-product meal', followed by 'corn gluten meal' and includes other yucky stuff such as 'animal liver flavour', 'added colour', copper sulphate', and other stuff that I can't even pronounce. In fact, there seem to be no natural ingredients at all!!!

I'm on a very tight budget with University costing me $2,000/semester + living costs away from my mom's...I can't even afford organic food for myself, let alone my kitty. I wish I could give her the best (i.e. what the vet sells at $20/bag) but I can't .

What do you feed your lovely kitty(ies)? How do you feel about what you're feeding him/her/them? I can't help but feel shameful and horrible now
    This thread is currently associated with: Purina
    Last edited by natynat; Wed, Jan 9th, 2013 at 11:47 PM.
    Complete quick surveys and cash out at every $20. Receive a cheque, deposit it into your bank. That easy! https://legerweb.com/2Q7V3

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I've spent 17/18 years feeding my cats primarily canned food with the odd roast scraps on week-ends. When they were younger(and alive!), they used to bring various dead and semi-dead bodies back with them. Not to mention food they ate which was for other pets. One of my friend's cats used to love commerial rabbit pellets.
    vesper likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I feed my cats "Nutrition First" from President's Choice. It doesn't have the really bad fillers in it like corn, wheat or soy and it uses real meat instead of by product meal (which is stuff like the skin, beaks and feet of the chicken, ground up, with flavour added.) It's definately more expensive than Cat Chow, but it costs a lot less than other "premium" food.
    You might want to consider at least supplementing your cat's diet with home made food though. I'm too chicken to try it, but there are a few people on SC who do it and if you do it right, it can be a lot less expensive and healthier than cat food.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Well... I feed my cat of 3 years and half a little persian(Mimi) with Science Diet Balance.I did 2 MIR at differents adress so I only paid taxes and postal cost on the 2 little bags off 19,99$ at Mondoux.I found some 10$ off coupons too for my next purchase.I bag last her like 1 month easily.She have a lots of energy and got to the litter normally.And I purchase her food when they offer points or sale.She seems to like it very much eat with appetize.Before she was with Iams or Purina but the coupons ar so low that I can afford it.At my home my 2 others cats(now died ) where feeded with Whiskas big bag pounche or when we run out occasionnaly Cat Chow Dry Food Boxes and they where very healthy...So If I was you I will not make so big deals.Hope my response help
    natynat likes this.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

New2Coupon
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

i know this sounds gross, but when you change to a better brand of cat food (made of real meat and whole foods, like arcana brand) you will notice that your cats litter box doesnt smell so bad. the quality of the food is reflected in the stink (or the lessening of) their poo.
    for me, living in a small apartment with two cats, i've found that feeding a better quality cat food is worth the extra money, not only for that reason, but they seem perkier and their coats seem glossier.

having said that, if you're still in a position where you have to feed your cat iams or presidents choice or whatever, give your cat a half can (one of the small cans) of tuna once a week. its still real meat, its still cheap, and its not so much where it will make your cat sick. you'll notice a difference in his coat in 2 weeks or so.
    i hope that helps a bit.
    natynat likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Our two adopted cats eat dry Whiskas food. They both get table scraps (very different preferences) and fish juice whenever I eat tuna or the likes.
    Natalka and natynat like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Thank you for all the tips I think I'm a bit scared to try home-made food for my cat, and she's too picky for Tuna...she runs away from it. She's very peculiar. I will have to start looking into food ingredients and starting to spend less on things for me, and more on her. I will try the President's Choice as well Science Diet is really expensive for me, and I couldn't find the ones for the MIR unfortunately...and traded the $10 *not very smart of me*. Keep the tips coming and thank you once again!
    Complete quick surveys and cash out at every $20. Receive a cheque, deposit it into your bank. That easy! https://legerweb.com/2Q7V3

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i feed my cat food that my veternairian recommends at his clinic.
    $24.00 + tax
    my vet is trustworthy
    i also give him plain yoghurt as a treat sometimes.
    natynat likes this.
    You can't change other people. You can only change yourself"
    - H. H. Getter

when we change our attitude, we change our lives

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If you want premium quality and the lowest price, all you have to do is make it yourself. I always have and people go on and on about how beautiful and healthy my cats are. . . plus my 7 yr. old has perfevtly white teeth. All my pets have white teeth, no build-up.

I just made batches of catfood and dogfood last night.
    I mix different things in different batches, but last night, I used 2 lbs of cooked turkey. (MY cats favorite is beef heart or liver, but you should vary it so they get balanced nutrition)

Add water to the turkey and puree.
    Then add to turkey 1/2 of that amount of cooked oatmeal or pureed brown rice. . .depending on what they like better.
    I often will add a little baby pablum just for the extra nutrients (look for it when it's 50% off- It lasts a long time)
    I add about 3 Tablespoons of nutritional yeast (available at superstore/zehrs in healthfood section)
    I also add calcium as it is essential for cat's for their bones and teeth.
    Last but not least, I add Lecithin (also available in health food section) either liquid or granules.
    3Tablespoons of either.
    Add water to a stew-like consistancy as this is primarily where cats get their fluids.
    Note: I sometimes add pureed kale or spinach for extra vitamins

For 2 cats, that will last me 2 weeks.

Cost? $3.50 NOT KIDDING

The turkey cost me 99 cents a pound, so that's a whole $2 for prime human grade meat
    Oatmeal cost next to nothing and I buy the other stuff on sale and even if I didn't, it wouldn't cost much more.

Now think of the horrific ingred. in commercial cat food and ask yoursself if it's a better deal. . . . .
    natynat likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by RandiL View Post
    i know this sounds gross, but when you change to a better brand of cat food (made of real meat and whole foods, like arcana brand) you will notice that your cats litter box doesnt smell so bad. the quality of the food is reflected in the stink (or the lessening of) their poo.
    for me, living in a small apartment with two cats, i've found that feeding a better quality cat food is worth the extra money, not only for that reason, but they seem perkier and their coats seem glossier.

having said that, if you're still in a position where you have to feed your cat iams or presidents choice or whatever, give your cat a half can (one of the small cans) of tuna once a week. its still real meat, its still cheap, and its not so much where it will make your cat sick. you'll notice a difference in his coat in 2 weeks or so.
    i hope that helps a bit.
    That's true. You'll also find that your cat eats less because she'll be more satisfied by the protein (Cats are carnivores.)
    Tuna is OK once in awhile, but don't use it as a pet food substitute because it's lacking some of the nutrients that a cat needs. Liver and turkey are better choices.
    natynat likes this.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MortgageQueen View Post
    If you want premium quality and the lowest price, all you have to do is make it yourself. I always have and people go on and on about how beautiful and healthy my cats are. . . plus my 7 yr. old has perfevtly white teeth. All my pets have white teeth, no build-up.

I mix different things in different batches, but last night, I used 2 lbs of cooked turkey. (MY cats favorite is beef heart or liver, but you should vary it so they get balanced nutrition)

Then add to turkey 1/2 of that amount of cooked oatmeal or pureed brown rice. . .depending on what they like better.
    I often will add a little baby pablum just for the extra nutrients (look for it when it's 50% off- It lasts a long time)
    I add about 3 Tablespoons of nutritional yeast (available at superstore/zehrs in healthfood section)
    Last but not least, I add Lecithin (also available in health food section) either liquid or granules.
    3Tablespoons of either.
    Add water to a stew-like consistancy as this is primarily where cats get their fluids.

Cost? $3.50 NOT KIDDING

The turkey cost me 99 cents a pound, so that's a whole $2 for prime human grade meat
    Oatmeal cost next to nothing and I buy the other stuff on sale and even if I didn't, it wouldn't cost much more.

Now think of the horrific ingred. in commercial cat food and ask yoursself if it's a better deal. . . . .
    You are absolutely correct. I must do more research on this and give it a try Thank you for the recipe. I'm sure that your kitties are very proud to have an owner such as yourself

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by natynat View Post
    I just watched a documentary (Hungry for Change--amazing!!!) about what we eat and the ingredients that are in those products. Once the documentary was finished, I got up to refill my kitty's bowl, and I couldn't help but look at the ingredient list of her food (Cat Chow). I must say that I'm a bit scared as the first ingredient is 'poultry by-product meal', followed by 'corn gluten meal' and includes other yucky stuff such as 'animal liver flavour', 'added colour', copper sulphate', and other stuff that I can't even pronounce. In fact, there seem to be no natural ingredients at all!!!

I'm on a very tight budget with University costing me $2,000/semester + living costs away from my mom's...I can't even afford organic food for myself, let alone my kitty. I wish I could give her the best (i.e. what the vet sells at $20/bag) but I can't .

What do you feed your lovely kitty(ies)? How do you feel about what you're feeding him/her/them? I can't help but feel shameful and horrible now
    stay away from Cat Chow!
    at least go with Iams, if you're on a budget.... it's a step above CC
    but organic Grain FREE cat food
    comes at a premium price
    worth it for your cat's health and longevity.
    You can't change other people. You can only change yourself"
    - H. H. Getter

when we change our attitude, we change our lives

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Quote Originally Posted by MortgageQueen View Post

3Tablespoons of either.

Cost? $3.50 NOT KIDDING

Could you post a picture of that food you made..What is like. How you conservated?I am tempted to try it too.For the dry food well being dry and in bit...They cooked the food or what? I always ask the question for myself.But yep;like preparate food and make it yourself the same rule applied that is so mure cheaper and better
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by cath007 View Post
    Could you post a picture of that food you made..What is like. How you conservated?I am tempted to try it too.For the dry food well being dry and in bit...They cooked the food or what? I always ask the question for myself.But yep;like preparate food and make it yourself the same rule applied that is so mure cheaper and better
    Sorry. . .I gapped on that one. I should have explained I put in tupperware containers and freeze it. I'd say package about 4 days worth per container and keep in fridge.
    As far as what it looks like. . .pretty much like baby food. I only puree it because I don't want them to pick out the meat and leave the oatmeal. Ha ha

If you can afford it, increase the meat content. Cats should be consuming up to 90% protein. If you need to stretch it. . . I've even thrown in a can of chickpeas (each cat is different and has tolerations, likes/dislikes) with no issues.

Another thing you'll notice is no obesity, because your not loading them with grain and corn carbs.
    cath007 likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by natynat View Post
    You are absolutely correct. I must do more research on this and give it a try Thank you for the recipe. I'm sure that your kitties are very proud to have an owner such as yourself
    Thanks Natynat. . I don't know about proud. . .but they're very happy laidback mooches. . .

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information