User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Getting work in another country. How to do this?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Living in another country is something I've dreamed of all my life and I feel like time to do this is running out before we have a family. I am serious about this. I spent my whole life learning 5 languages in hopes that this would happen one day. All I am asking for is a few months to a year. But I can't get work abroad, let alone in Canada. Seems like a lot of places just ignore my applications and hire people who are less qualified than me, just because they are local. If there are jobs at all.

Has anyone succeeded in working abroad, even temporarily? I am a writer and have an English teaching certificate. I look for work every few months in Canada because I am constantly laid off due to the print industry, which keeps bleeding money. DH's condition to move is that I have a job lined up in the new country before we leave, but it looks like that will never happen.

He thinks its easy because he was offered a job fresh out of school in the US where he worked for 2 years. He has never applied for a job in his life, he has always been offered these jobs out of nowhere. He has a Phd so is very specialized and employers can justify giving him Visas because there literally isn't an American who can do things in his field. But that won't happen to me. I was in Toronto for 2 years trying to get work there. Never happened. Employers consistently told me that they wanted to see me commit to moving there before they hire. But we can't do this now because of $$.

I am looking into a working holiday visa in Australia. DH only speaks English so I picked there because it would be easy for him to communicate, and I need the sunshine. I went there 3 years ago and it is my dream to go back. But I have to apply before I turn 31. That happens in July .

Other countries do working holiday visas until age 35 but he doesn't speak the languages there, even though I do.

Advice?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by torontogal12; Tue, Apr 23rd, 2013 at 09:05 PM.
    Natalka and hollyquaiscer like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Pick a country. Find a recruiter there who specializes in your or your husbands field. Allow them to qualify you, see if they think his/your chances are likely.

Don't tell them you only want to move there for 2 years.

That is one path.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Wed, Jan 21st, 2015 at 07:50 AM.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

My niece and her (now ex-) husband taught English in Russia. They intended just to be there for a year, but ended up staying four and set up their own business doing it. She has a degree in Linguistics, he had a B.Comm.

My sister's niece has been in Australia three years already working there, but I don't know how she ended up there, or even what work she is doing. In Canada, she worked at a women's shelter.

I have teacher friends who have had placements through CUSO - maybe check that out
    http://cusointernational.org/volunteer

lekate is teaching English in Korea now
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/318763-...-korea-canada/

her blog
    http://penniesandnarwhals.wordpress.com/

Good luck!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Does it have to be Australia?

There are other countries that will be good for your SAD, and it should not take your DH long to learn a new language. It will probably be a good life experience actually.

My brother, who is dumb as a post moved to Italy like 6 years ago. He was dropped in the culture and took classes and within a couple weeks he knew enough to get by and by 3 months he learned enough Italian to hold his own. If he can learn, anyone can. It is easier to learn a language when dumped in it.

That would give you more options.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Thanks everyone! I speak English, French, Italian, Spanish extremely poorly, and am learning Chinese

DH is interested in learning Italian. But there are no jobs there. My cousins in Italy are all out of work and unemployment there has been a consistent problem since my parents left 40 years ago. My friend in France graduated 5 years ago and still has been unable to find a job.She has to take exams with 1000 people in the room who are fighting for 2 job openings. I knew somebody who applied to World Food Programme (also in Rome) and she got an interview 3 years after she sent her application!!

i_forget, how did your brother find work in Italy? I have citizenship

Natalka thank you for the great links!

Lecale, the international NGOs are a great idea. I work at a non-profit right now

Vesper, thanks for that idea. I would've never thought of that. No one would ever want to recruit me, but DH has to fight off linked in requests from recruiters (Canada and US) at least 3 times a week. He's a computer engineer
    Natalka, lecale, Shwa Girl and 2 others like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    No one would ever want to recruit me, but DH has to fight off linked in requests from recruiters (Canada and US) at least 3 times a week. He's a computer engineer
    Not true about the "no one would ever want to recruit me". That idea has to get out of your mind. I think you are recruitable, with your qualifications. I hope you can project the confidence that your DH has. Getting the job -- put on your salesperson hat and sell, sell, sell torontogal!!!

BTW, I have worked with some real bad coworkers. How did they get the job? They mastered the resume, application and interview parts to perfection. (they aren't here any more)

Good luck! Hoping to hear good news from you very soon.
    Natalka and i_forget like this.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

My nephew works teaching English in Japan, he went on a visa to teach English (he doesn't have his teaching certificate) in Japan, that was 9 years ago. He completed his first contract, came back to Canada, then decided to go again. He met his wife there and they came here and got married. She applied for a working visa here and they turned her down. After her 1 year visa expired, they had to move back to Japan, and Rob still works teaching English there. He took that job about 3 months after graduating high school and he loves it. I agree with everyone else, check with the international NGO's and see what suits you. I also have a friend that taught English in Korea, and a friend that just worked in a bagel factory in Australia on a 1 year working visa. You should be able to find something easy enough, I think you were just looking in the wrong places. I wish you the best of luck
    i_forget and torontogal12 like this.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

what about working at a ski resort?

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by rock_climberjoe View Post
    what about working at a ski resort?
    Banff sounds good.
    lecale likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

He says that the job market is tough right now, but that can be said for anywhere in Europe.

He was working for his FIL in their family business, but left that to follow his dream of being a chef, so he is working his way up from what I understand.

Speaking all of those languages, is Asia a temptation?
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Yes! I've been in Korea for almost 5 months now, and am having the time of my life! I'm just an English teacher, but it's a pretty sweet gig, and there's so much to do and see while here.

I've barely learned any Korean and I can get by just fine, if you're super concerned, ask for a larger city or somewhere near an American base. That and I've met computer engineers from all over the world here, went skiing with one from France!

As far as I know, most positions in Korea are given on a one year contract basis, with the chance of resigning.

Good luck! This has been an awesome experience and I don't want to come back home any time soon now...
    Natalka, KK7, gourmetsue and 4 others like this.
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    Thanks everyone! I speak English, French, Italian, Spanish extremely poorly, and am learning Chinese

DH is interested in learning Italian. But there are no jobs there. My cousins in Italy are all out of work and unemployment there has been a consistent problem since my parents left 40 years ago. My friend in France graduated 5 years ago and still has been unable to find a job.She has to take exams with 1000 people in the room who are fighting for 2 job openings. I knew somebody who applied to World Food Programme (also in Rome) and she got an interview 3 years after she sent her application!!

i_forget, how did your brother find work in Italy? I have citizenship

Natalka thank you for the great links!

Lecale, the international NGOs are a great idea. I work at a non-profit right now

Vesper, thanks for that idea. I would've never thought of that. No one would ever want to recruit me, but DH has to fight off linked in requests from recruiters (Canada and US) at least 3 times a week. He's a computer engineer
    the languages you listed are NOT in demand, unless you have a PHD attached to it.
    Mandarin, Urdu and Arabic are the languages in most demand
    or you could always volunteer in third world countries like the phillipines or cambodia
    and teach them English.
    You can't change other people. You can only change yourself"
    - H. H. Getter

when we change our attitude, we change our lives

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I am learning Mandarin Chinese. I learned these languages because I wanted to lice in countries where they were spoken.

Volunteering abroad is not an option we can afford. I have done way too many unpaid internships
    Quote Originally Posted by frugal50 View Post
    the languages you listed are NOT in demand, unless you have a PHD attached to it.
    Mandarin, Urdu and Arabic are the languages in most demand
    or you could always volunteer in third world countries like the phillipines or cambodia
    and teach them English.
    Last edited by torontogal12; Tue, Jan 22nd, 2013 at 01:08 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I am so glad you are enjoying it! Maybe there's hope for me yet
    Quote Originally Posted by lekate View Post
    Yes! I've been in Korea for almost 5 months now, and am having the time of my life! I'm just an English teacher, but it's a pretty sweet gig, and there's so much to do and see while here.

I've barely learned any Korean and I can get by just fine, if you're super concerned, ask for a larger city or somewhere near an American base. That and I've met computer engineers from all over the world here, went skiing with one from France!

As far as I know, most positions in Korea are given on a one year contract basis, with the chance of resigning.

Good luck! This has been an awesome experience and I don't want to come back home any time soon now...
    i_forget likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information