User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
Like Tree679Likes

Thread: Is Couponing Killing Us?

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tccl21 View Post
    We have a few CSA's here, but sadly people have been stealing the crops and vandalising. It's awful what some people will do.
    When people are hungry, they will steal food.
    When people steal good food, they may live better for another day.
    When the CSAs find a creative solution to the theft, like encouraging the people to come and grow, or putting a large basket of "free" potatoes out each night, thefts of other crops may decrease.

It may be awful. But it is a matter of survival for some. Sad.
    cath007 likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

There was an article in the paper about the crop thefts. The people weren't hungry, they were selling the food for profit. Thieves!
    cath007 likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    When people are hungry, they will steal food.
    When people steal good food, they may live better for another day.
    When the CSAs find a creative solution to the theft, like encouraging the people to come and grow, or putting a large basket of "free" potatoes out each night, thefts of other crops may decrease.

It may be awful. But it is a matter of survival for some. Sad.
    I think there may be legal issues with leaving food out at night for the taking. I have a friend who worked at a cafeteria owned by a major company and she was nearly fired because she gave homeless people the day old bread/pastries/bagels she was supposed to throw out at the end of the day. They could get sued if there is any food poisoning
    Natalka, cath007 and SassyAshley like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    I think there may be legal issues with leaving food out at night for the taking. I have a friend who worked at a cafeteria owned by a major company and she was nearly fired because she gave homeless people the day old bread/pastries/bagels she was supposed to throw out at the end of the day. They could get sued if there is any food poisoning
    When I worked at Sheppard's of Good Hope in Ottawa during the summer time there were lots of wedding and events so people donated left over food to the shelter. Then one night I was working there someone donated loads of food from a wedding and got everyone sick including myself. No one could remember which wedding and where it happened so we couldn't do anything. Shelters and food banks have to be careful where they get the food.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    At the end of the farm season, the Durham Region Farm Fresh fruit and veggie sellers always give us some free stuff. Instead of getting a small container of apples for $1, they double the amount and throw it in. They do leave stuff out at a "free" section and stuff for sale. It has been done where I buy farm stuff here, for years.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I remember sorting at a major distribution centre and being amazed at the amount of peanut butter, beans, pasta, - basically, everything on their wish list in large bins. I was amazed that they received so much that they asked for. Then, I noticed all the food they had to throw out like homemade jams (labelled and dated), unlabelled cans, ripped and spilled packages, etc.

It was especially sad to toss those beautifully hand-labelled jams in case someone had a nut/food allergy because many people do not have access to medical help.

I remember seeing a very large bag of bagels (with hundreds of assorted bagels) in a bus shelter near Christmas. I don't know if anyone took any, but wondered if it came from a local bakery and they didn't want to waste all the food.
    Shwa Girl and SassyAshley like this.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

No need to couponning or price matching for my vegetables today...I saw at last 50 packs of cherries tomatoes at 50% off...And some of the tomatoes was not ripe...they maybe order to much..also the vegetable and fruits 50% off shelve is always find to me.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cath007 View Post
    No need to couponning or price matching for my vegetables today...I saw at last 50 packs of cherries tomatoes at 50% off...And some of the tomatoes was not ripe...they maybe order to much..also the vegetable and fruits 50% off shelve is always find to me.
    Awesome. Was it Metro?

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    Awesome. Was it Metro?
    No ;Maxi(Part of Loblaws banner)

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Metro is too far from me..but I am sure they can have those kind of deals too
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cath007 View Post
    Metro is too far from me..but I am sure they can have those kind of deals too
    You still got a good deal. And for the over ripe tomatoes, you may be able to collect the seeds and start some in a small pots. Free plants. Free tomatoes.
    cath007 and i_forget like this.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

That could be a good idea

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We rarely use coupons and when we do it's on things we'd rarely ever buy or for healthy things such as frozen veggies. The majority of coupons I find are for over processed packaged foods full of soy, which I do not eat. I just try to pack attention to sales and stock up when I can.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread Information